News Article: Petan "on outside looking in"

Nov 24, 2006
I'm not sure there's a long term future with Petan and many teams in the NHL to be honest. Barring injuries, he's a depth forward in many cases IMO. Foot speed and size are his weaknesses.

Last edited:

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
clearly he wants to be here, just wants the opportunity he deserves.

his agent is 100% right in saying he's a top 6 player in the NHL.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Which top 6 forward do you displace? Hell, which top 9 forward do you displace?
it's not like you have to displace a top 6'er for him exclusively, just because he's a top 6 talent. you can take out someone like tanev from the bottom 6 and balance the roster by moving petan up and sliding someone else down.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I would take him over Perreault.

I find it interesting that Perrault is often cited as the most likely guy to be replaced by Petan.

Unlike Petan, Perrault doesn't need to play with "good players" to do well, to the contrary, Perrault was dynamite when Perrault-Hendricks-Armia was a thing, yet the excuse for Petan time after time is that he's been weighed down by having to play with bottom six players.

Also, aside from size, I don't see a ton of comparison. Although Perrault's production was about on par with Petan's throughout the playoffs and latter part of the season this year I suppose.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Jets will need a cheaper option at 3 LW than Perreault, if not this season, then next. Petan should be one of the options in that slot, fighting it out with Dano, Lemieux and Vesalainen.

Something like this...

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler
Petan-Roslovic-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Tanev (Dano)

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Which top 6 forward do you displace? Hell, which top 9 forward do you displace?

If Perreault is moved for any reason, Nic jumps up the depth chart. That may well happen. Then it is between him and Lemieux, most likely.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I find it interesting that Perrault is often cited as the most likely guy to be replaced by Petan.

Unlike Petan, Perrault doesn't need to play with "good players" to do well, to the contrary, Perrault was dynamite when Perrault-Hendricks-Armia was a thing, yet the excuse for Petan time after time is that he's been weighed down by having to play with bottom six players.

Also, aside from size, I don't see a ton of comparison. Although Perrault's production was about on par with Petan's throughout the playoffs and latter part of the season this year I suppose.

They don't need to be clones of one another for that conversation to happen. There are several reasons to consider moving MP. Once that decision is made you look at potential replacements.

Petan did not succeed playing on the 4th line. That was 2 years ago. He might do better now. Perreault wasn't succeeding with plugs and grinders when he was Nic's age either. But not being able to play with Thor and (I forget who was C) doesn't mean he could not play with Roslovic and Armia. In fact that might be an outstanding combination.

Last edited:

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
If Perreault is moved for any reason, Nic jumps up the depth chart. That may well happen. Then it is between him and Lemieux, most likely.
I tend to agree and maybe just maybe add Appleton as a potential. I just think we have enough of the type of talent that Nic has to offer and not enough of what we are hoping Lemieux can bring.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They don't need to be clones of one another for that conversation to happen. There are several reasons to consider moving MP. Once that decision is made you look at potential replacements.

Petan did not succeed playing on the 4th line. that was 2 years ago. He might do better now. Perreault wasn't succeeding with plugs and grinders when he was Nic's age either. But not being able to play with Thor and (I forget who was C) doesn't mean he could not play with Roslovic and Armia. In fact that might be an outstanding combination.

We know he can play with Roslovic. The two torched the AHL on a line together. He has also shown good chemistry with Armia in the past. I echo your thoughts in that would be a good line.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I tend to agree and maybe just maybe add Appleton as a potential. I just think we have enough of the type of talent that Nic has to offer and not enough of what we are hoping Lemieux can bring.

Sure maybe if Perreault is moved. I haven't been too impressed with Petan when he has been here though.

Appleton needs another year in the AHL to me to show that he can repeat his success. We can afford to keep him there though.

it's not like you have to displace a top 6'er for him exclusively, just because he's a top 6 talent. you can take out someone like tanev from the bottom 6 and balance the roster by moving petan up and sliding someone else down.

I don't see where you move Petan up in the lineup though to put him in the top 6 because I don't see who moves down to "balance" the lineup. I don't think you can put Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers or Laine on the "3rd" line and replicate the success those two lines have had with Petan, and I don't think that the production improvement from moving those guys down the lineup to play with likely Roslovic and another winger is worth the loss of Petan on the top two lines.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
I know a lot of people have written him off here on these boards. But he can be one of those cases where he is a solid NHL contributor in the near future. And I have a funny feeling if/when he leaves the Jets he’ll succeed on another team.

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015
I know a lot of people have written him off here on these boards. But he can be one of those cases where he is a solid NHL contributor in the near future. And I have a funny feeling if/when he leaves the Jets he’ll succeed on another team.

I agree, written off by too many here. Anyone who thinks he has had consistently fair chances to stick is watching something else. There have been limited times over the past few seasons where he has been put in a position to succeed but Maurice then changes the script and he's back down to the 4th line at 6 minutes a game. He's not a fit under the current coaching structure as to how lines are constructed.

Probably more than any other 'bubble' player on the Jets or Moose, Petan has the most potential to make Jets management look bad. Guys like Lowry, Copp, Armia.......little upside and you know what you got. With Petan and his skill set, his ceiling is much higher.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This is actually a really level headed way of an agent handling things. As opposed to trying to strong arm the team.

I totally agree Petan still has top six potential. He just has limitations at his young age that keep Maurice from trusting him it seems. A lot of the time with smaller guys it takes 5, 6, 7 years of pro to reach their peak effectiveness and consistency. AKA how to play a gritty man's game at a smaller size without exceptional speed.

I think he's got a better chance at center than at wing. But he has to get his all around game to a certain level for Maurice to give him an extended look there.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'm not that sold on what Lemieux can bring but I think he would be in the mix along with Petan. I forgot about Dano. He deserves to be in there too but I don't know whether Maurice is willing to give him a fair shot or not. Appleton is on the other side but moving over is always a possibility.

I still have at least a faint hope that Appleton can help spring a good D prospect from the Flames. They need a RW or two and are overflowing at D.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
This is actually a really level headed way of an agent handling things. As opposed to trying to strong arm the team.

I totally agree Petan still has top six potential. He just has limitations at his young age that keep Maurice from trusting him it seems. A lot of the time with smaller guys it takes 5, 6, 7 years of pro to reach their peak effectiveness and consistency. AKA how to play a gritty man's game at a smaller size without exceptional speed.

I think he's got a better chance at center than at wing. But he has to get his all around game to a certain level for Maurice to give him an extended look there.

I agree, to me he looked faster and more tenacious with the few games he got on the big club this year. Petan playing on the wing just doesn’t give him the opportunity to be all that creative with the puck and play to his strengths.

I want him to succeed, it’ll probably won’t be in Winnipeg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad