News Article: Petan "on outside looking in"

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think his value is around Tomas Jurco's who net a 3rd round pick (pick 88) at the TDL in 2017. I think if the Jets really like a player in the 2nd they'll use Petan+59th to move up
Something like that seems pretty interesting. Maybe Petan and the 5th rounder we have from Boston for #38 the Habs from Chicago? Then it would be interesting if Chevy could move into the back half of the 1st round bundling # 38 # 60.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Something like that seems pretty interesting. Maybe Petan and the 5th rounder we have from Boston for #38 the Habs from Chicago? Then it would be interesting if Chevy could move into the back half of the 1st round bundling # 38 # 60.
Okay with the Petan deal, I think. But I'd prefer #38 and #60 over a late 1st.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Okay with the Petan deal, I think. But I'd prefer #38 and #60 over a late 1st.
I might be to come Saturday, but trying to find a way to but a little excitement back into the 1st round of the draft. I think you have posted before on approx value on trading picks, so what is #38 and #60 theoretically worth?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Wouldn't touch that if I'm MTL. I don't think petan value+5th sniffs an early 2nd. Even the 59+petan is a stretch

One of mtl later seconds is more plausible even then as Maukkis said hard to argue petans value is higher than a late third

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Posted a few pages back Montreal is a perfect fit. 2nd with one of our extra 5ths attached to Petan might get it done, with Bergevin likely it would work.

I think Montreal would be getting a pretty solid prospect in Petan, with some ice time, if he puts the work in the off season could hold a full time shift in the NHL. If he takes a big step next season, they could be getting themselves a pretty good player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think I keep Petan as an extra forward, and see how he fits in. I think there's a chance he has a very good season and gives the Jets more roster and trade opportunities.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I think I keep Petan as an extra forward, and see how he fits in. I think there's a chance he has a very good season and gives the Jets more roster and trade opportunities.

I agree with this.

Rather hold on to him, see what transpires early in the season. He will most likely get ice time at some point, maybe he makes the most of it this time and shows he is a full time NHL player.

His value rises if that’s the case.

But I would hate to see him spend another year in the A, which is a risk if he stays.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I think his value is around Tomas Jurco's who net a 3rd round pick (pick 88) at the TDL in 2017. I think if the Jets really like a player in the 2nd they'll use Petan+59th to move up

That would be bad asset management.

I'd rather they used Petan to get another pick not move up in the draft for a minimal value increase.

Two 2nd round picks is far more valuable than picking higher in the 2nd.

Edit - I hope they keep him I'm just talking about if they do move on from him

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That would be bad asset management.

I'd rather they used Petan to get another pick not move up in the draft for a minimal value increase.

Two 2nd round picks is far more valuable than picking higher in the 2nd.

Edit - I hope they keep him I'm just talking about if they do move on from him
I doubt petan nets a second if he can I'm all for it.but i think a late third is reasonable based on Maukkis' comparables. I think up until roughly pick 40 in this draft from what I've read and see you'll net a first round calibre prospect.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I doubt petan nets a second if he can I'm all for it.but i think a late third is reasonable based on Maukkis' comparables. I think up until roughly pick 40 in this draft from what I've read and see you'll net a first round calibre prospect.

I would agree.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
NHL players get traded for draft picks ahl players do not.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. Keeping him as a 13/14 forward seems most likely. As a cost savings measure I see Petan and a guy like Lemieux rounding out the roster. Someone to slide into an offensive role with injuries, and someone to slide into bottom of the line up if needed.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
We haven't had much luck with our 2nd round picks, so maybe Petan for a 3rd round pick would work out better

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We haven't had much luck with our 2nd round picks, so maybe Petan for a 3rd round pick would work out better
Jets also have a bad record at #18 overall, so they should avoid trading for that pick if it's available... :naughty:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy mentioned Petan on Vancouver radio.
Interestingly said he was a NHLer and mentioned the whole QoT/role thing.
Well of course he's an nhler, it's too bad his chance will have to come elsewhere. He will do well. I hope we give him one more shot here, but I'm not hopeful.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Exactly who is Petan displacing in the Jets lineup this coming season?

If he is used as an extra forward as injury insurance, only to be banished back to the press box when the regular is healthy, he’ll never gain any traction that way.

As much a fan as I am of his, maybe it’s best if he moves on. Someone like Lemieux is a better fit on the bottom two lines. Sad part is I do agree that he will eventually break through with whatever team gives him a real shot with players who can make use of his talents and we’ll all be wishing he could only have done that here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad