Recalled/Assigned: Persson down, Jones back up

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Might just be about wanting the option to use Russell on the right side with Klef if need be. Jones can play both sides so it gives the coach more options to mix and match as noone has shown consistently well with Klefbom yet.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Might just be about wanting the option to use Russell on the right side with Klef if need be. Jones can play both sides so it gives the coach more options to mix and match as noone has shown consistently well with Klefbom yet.

I get that people like bashing on Larsson but I have ZERO idea why Tippett would want to play Russell, on his off-side, in the top 4 ahead of Larsson. That's not the reason.

Reactions: harpoon

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I get that people like bashing on Larsson but I have ZERO idea why Tippett would want to play Russell, on his off-side, in the top 4 ahead of Larsson. That's not the reason.

Don’t think Russell will start with Klef, I assume Larsson gets another shot as he’s actually been pretty good three out of the last four. But if Klef/Larsson turns into the Ottawa chaos my guess would be Russell is next in line. Tippett’s been giving Russell more and more spot duty with Klef the last few weeks. But as you seem to know what Tippett is thinking I’m clearly in the wrong and I’ll simply bow for your expertise.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The last three games Persson has looked way worse than he did at the beginning of the year. Tippett decided to scratch him over one play and he hasn't looked the same since. He was playing with composure and making plays at the start of the year. I don't agree with how Persson's been handled at all.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
The last three games Persson has looked way worse than he did at the beginning of the year. Tippett decided to scratch him over one play and he hasn't looked the same since. He was playing with composure and making plays at the start of the year. I don't agree with how Persson's been handled at all.

Persson looks good at AHL and not so good at NHL.

You never know. He may be one of those players who just can't quite make it work in the NHL.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Persson looks good at AHL and not so good at NHL.

You never know. He may be one of those players who just can't quite make it work in the NHL.

He really needs a chance to play some softer minutes on the bottom pairing before I'm ready to say he's not good in the NHL.

He's basically been thrown into top4 minutes outside of a couple of games and I think he handled it pretty well.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Not really a fan of this move. I get Persson made a mistake by not shooting the puck that one chance he had, but I don't think it warrants him being sent down because of it.

I couldn't see the game but listened on the radio, Bob and Jack gave the impression that he was having a tough game all round

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Don’t think Russell will start with Klef, I assume Larsson gets another shot as he’s actually been pretty good three out of the last four. But if Klef/Larsson turns into the Ottawa chaos my guess would be Russell is next in line. Tippett’s been giving Russell more and more spot duty with Klef the last few weeks. But as you seem to know what Tippett is thinking I’m clearly in the wrong and I’ll simply bow for your expertise.

Ok I didn't mean to come off as aggressive, my bad. What I meant though was that if Tippett thought Klefbom-Persson isn't working, Larsson would get the next chance. I just don't see a scenario where Klef-Russell is better than all 3 of Klef-Persson, Klef-Larsson, and Klef-Jones.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
a prelude to a Russel trade? If the Hall rumors have any legs, the Oilers have to shed about 5 mill. Assuming Chiason or Gagner can be moved to NJ in the deal, replacing Russel with Jones gets us under the cap.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
a prelude to a Russel trade? If the Hall rumors have any legs, the Oilers have to shed about 5 mill. Assuming Chiason or Gagner can be moved to NJ in the deal, replacing Russel with Jones gets us under the cap.

Oilers love Russell, I’d be shocked if he was traded.

Reactions: Aerchon

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Put me in the group that would like to see Lagesson called up... he's an excellent defensive dman with some underrated physicality in his game as well.

I'd like to see what he could do in the lineup paired up with a dman that might have their offense cut loose a little by having Lagesson be the solid stay back option on the pairing.

I don't mind Jones but I have a feeling Lagesson will play his role better than Jones will play his... as Jones is a little more of an all-around dman but not great defensively or offensively imo.

I think the team is legitimately missing that rock solid bottom pairing of Russell-Benning as well which gives up almost no goals against while they are on the ice and frees up the top pairings to play their roles better as well.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the D pairings have looked off and shaky since that bottom pairing of KRussell-Benning haven't been an option for the last little while.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Put me in the group that would like to see Lagesson called up... he's an excellent defensive dman with some underrated physicality in his game as well.

I'd like to see what he could do in the lineup paired up with a dman that might have their offense cut loose a little by having Lagesson be the solid stay back option on the pairing.

I don't mind Jones but I have a feeling Lagesson will play his role better than Jones will play his... as Jones is a little more of an all-around dman but not great defensively or defensively imo.

I think the team is legitimately missing that rock solid bottom pairing of Russell-Benning as well which gives up almost no goals against while they are on the ice and frees up the top pairings to play their roles better as well.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the D pairings have looked off and shaky since that bottom pairing of KRussell-Benning haven't been an option for the last little while.

Would be nice to see Lagesson up while Benning is out. I think he's closer to what we're missing with Benning on IR. Anyone know when he's expected to be back?

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I believe that Persson will benefit from playing in the AHL for a year. He is still young player, 25, who has one played professional hockey for four seasons now.

I would give him a contract extension for one more season to see if he can play in the NHL

Reactions: guymez and Oilhawks

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
He really needs a chance to play some softer minutes on the bottom pairing before I'm ready to say he's not good in the NHL.

He's basically been thrown into top4 minutes outside of a couple of games and I think he handled it pretty well.
This is what I simply don't understand. The 22 games that Larsson was missing, it seemed to me that for Jones and Persson, it was a choice of top 4 or Bakersfield, while Benning was a lock on the third pairing. I don't think that is fair. Why not give Jones or Persson a chance to play softer minutes? Because Benning will struggle in the top 4? Of course he will, but if his confidence is shot to pieces, so what? Is that really worse than Jones' or Persson's confidence being shot to pieces?

In my view, Benning is a serviceable bottom pairing NHL D on a bad contract. I certainly wouldn't qualify him come the end of the season, but maybe offer him a contract around $1M per short term. He has no top 4 upside, and sheltering him at the expense of rookies simply does not make any sense to me at all.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I have to agree with this.

I would assume I'm just missing something but there really seems to be a double standard for some players.

Nobody reacts well when they see someone else put into a position to succeed above them without good reason. I would assume most people know exactly what that's like and it sucks.

Perssons play for a top 4 role, while not on the level of Bear, has still been our best #4 to date. Most of the bad stuff being said about Persson is true of Jones and then some. Ditto Russell, Larsson, and Benning...

Any which way I really hope that #4 spot gets figured out asap. I think it is throwing off the team a bit. It's an important role that in theroy, especially with our personell, should be easy to fill.

Larsson is starting to look better. Maybe when he and Benning get better we can run successfully:

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Russell Benning

Then in the offseason we can move out Larsson or Russell for a decent return.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Persson didn't look very good in his last stint so I'm not surprised by this move. I actually thought he looked worse than he did at the start of the season. I realy like the player and hope he can grow his game in Bako and eventually return to the bog club. Jones getting another shot. Hopefully he comes in and plays better than he did when he left last week. I don't want to keep rotating D once every week or two b/c of poor play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad