Recalled/Assigned: Persson down, Jones back up

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Guess Tippett has decided he’s seen enough of Persson.

I’m guess lagesson cant play the right side so that’s why he hasn’t played at all for the big club?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Holland collecting Airways bonuspoints?

This year, it has been a lot of recall&assignments, and thats a lot of CO2 also.
Shame on you Holland.

*Checks notes*
LividConsciousCondor-size_restricted.gif

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Holland collecting Airways bonuspoints?

This year, it has been a lot of recall&assignments, and thats a lot of CO2 also.
Shame on you Holland.
Joel Persson has only played high levels of pro hockey for less then 6 years, if anything the team is treating him relatively well, because they want him to continue to develop. The easier thing would just to make him the #7 and leave him in the pressbox, honestly.

Reactions: ImmuneEH

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Joel Persson has only played high levels of pro hockey for less then 6 years, if anything the team is treating him relatively well, because they want him to continue to develop. The easier thing would just to make him the #7 and leave him in the pressbox, honestly.

Pretty much this.

For me I see him as a marc Andre Bergeron clone. He is not good in his own zone and Tippet stresses d zone a lot

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Pretty much this.

For me I see him as a marc Andre Bergeron clone. He is not good in his own zone and Tippet stresses d zone a lot
And we've repeated, over and over, you are not correct in this comparison. I have a lot more faith in Persson because he's barely been a pro and he likely can improve his game, Bergeron didn't have hockey sense and that very much held him back.

Reactions: Gh0st

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Pretty much this.

He's been impressive for a guy that was playing like div 1 a few years ago. Some big minutes in the Bake won't do him harm.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
A sign of truly changing times, my friend.

It's refreshing, innit?
Certainly a bit, I still suspect we'll see him (and frankly we should as some point), but not "needing" to bring him up is also a credit to Ethan Bear carrying the Right Defense this year.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
In a perfect world both Jones and Persson are in Bakersfield.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kind of weird, Jones wasn't much better than Persson on the right side, so I'm surprised that Tippet would call him back up to play there. Always have to worry that there could be something going on with Klefbom, since that rumour's out there.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
And we've repeated, over and over, you are not correct in this comparison. I have a lot more faith in Persson because he's barely been a pro and he likely can improve his game, Bergeron didn't have hockey sense and that very much held him back.

I compare the above statement to the love in we had for Smith after 20 games to the borderline hatred some now have for him.

Persson has great hockey sense when it comes to the offensive zone not so much in his own zone. Last year in Vaxjo he gave their fans heartaches with his open ice passes. Personally I think people are seeing in him what they want to see--in the games I saw on line this year--he is doing similar stuff that he did in the SHL and champions league last year (when Vaxjo killed my Cardiff Devils) that just wont work in the NHL. Unless you are putting up 50+ from the back end, the short comings wont be overlooked

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Persson can’t win a puck battle to save his life. There were times yesterday that he looked like a kid trying to battle along the boards.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Persson definitely has to contribute more offensively if he's going to stick around. He isn't going to make it as a defensive defenceman. Let's see if he can tear up the AHL for an extended period, and then try him out again, maybe with some PP time if the numbers warrant it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not really a fan of this move. I get Persson made a mistake by not shooting the puck that one chance he had, but I don't think it warrants him being sent down because of it.
In back-to-back games Persson made plays that resulted in high quality chances against. His decisions were eventually going to cost the team goals against.

He's just not thinking the game fast enough IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad