Persona Series

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Seems like it was supposed to be a Game Awards announcement.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Just started my playthrough of P5 and was told it takes about 15-20 hours until you get to the main gameplay. That can't be true right?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
That sounds like a fairly long estimate to me but the game does more or less put you on rails for quite a while at the beginning, which is something that can be off-putting for a lot of people. It's been a while since I played so I can't estimate, but I think it's more like 4-5 hours perhaps. Without getting into spoilers, I recall a fairly long general introduction and then some gameplay mechanics, and a sort of story-based introduction to entering the first palace, which happens more than once as you get the first characters in your party. The estimate that they might be giving you is finishing the first palace, which I think you could say is when the "main" gameplay starts in a full-throated way, but I think the tutorial and hard rails part of the beginning is more like 4-5 hours.

Reactions: Hammettf2b

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Has anyone gone through the trouble to download the Japanese demo? It doesn't seem like a ton of work/hassle to do so, and I guess you can get a feel for the combat a bit. I'm going to buy it regardless, but thinking of giving it a try, maybe on the Switch to see how it flows.

I wish at least 3 and 4 would get PS4 ports, but PC seems more likely given the success of P4G. If P3 comes to PC, I might have to look into a serviceable gaming laptop for my next purchase. I have a ~2011 or 12 Macbook Air that's on its last legs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Just started my playthrough of P5 and was told it takes about 15-20 hours until you get to the main gameplay. That can't be true right?
Sort of, but you're expecting at least 80-100 hours to beat it; my run was around 118 hours but I was a noobie and did all the side activities...and I would never give up those 118 hours for anything else. It probably doesn't appeal to everyone, but definitely one of the best games I've ever played.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Not quite. The first Palace/"chapter"/etc is as much part of the main gameplay as anything else, it just features a lot of table-setting and tutorials in a way the rest of the game doesn't.

And to reiterate the above comment: the game is long as all f***. So strap in.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
The game is not published by Sony though. You think Sony paid Atlus for 13 years of exclusivity?

the Persona series has mostly been a Playstation exclusive franchise. It's only recently we got Persona4 Golden on a non-Sony platform. I assume there's licensing issues that prevents Atlus from releasing existing games into other ports.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
the Persona series has mostly been a Playstation exclusive franchise. It's only recently we got Persona4 Golden on a non-Sony platform. I assume there's licensing issues that prevents Atlus from releasing existing games into other ports.
I think that incredibly long wait has more to do with the fact that Atlus has only recently begun releasing games on the PC. Look at Catherine, the port took as long as Persona 4 Golden and that game was never an exclusive. Obviously Sony has some sort of deal in place to keep the mainline Persona games exclusive for a period of time, but we really have no idea how long that period of time actually is.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
New trailer for P5S

I went through the hassle to set up a Japanese account to get the demo and the game is pretty fun from what I could tell, but without having the faintest clue of what was going on, it was hard to grasp how the RPG elements are integrated.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Oh, well, review embargo for Strikers is up apparently. 85 on MC so far.

Not gonna lie I thought this game was coming out next month.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It seems like there's some consensus that it's ultimately a genuine sequel, more action RPG with some of the typical systems like confidants stripped away. I currently feel somewhere between more hyped and was gonna buy it anyways, if that makes any sense. IIRC Atlus games won't get discounts for a while so I am giving thought to picking it up day one or soon after.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I finally finished Royal. What a game.

Worth the full price purchase and play through all over again, and then some.

Took me many months and 150 hours of in game time, but it was all good hours. Master class of a game.

Now I have to decide what's next (after I play Mass Effect Legendary)....P5 Strikers or P4G replay? :laugh: Both will happen this year, I'm thinking.

Side note, but there's a certain character who does some navigation/narration early in the expanded section of the game, and I really wish they had kept that character in that role.

Another side note, but this was my first use of the DLC personas. Izanagi and Kaguya are OP. :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm actually going to start this game for the first time tonight. My first go with a Persona game in general. Any tips for a first-time player, it seems like an overwhelmingly large game to get into.

It is definitely overwhelmingly large.

I would say my biggest tip would probably be to take your time in between deadlines. You will get deadlines for certain dungeons and you don't want to procrastinate too much, but your companions get a little too jittery on the timeline. :laugh:

It's usually best to focus on the social/time management side of the game for the first part of the time limit.

You always try to get as far as is possible in the dungeon each run, but don't be afraid to back out and try again a different day if needed. Royal seems to give you plenty of time to accomplish things (more so than the base P5 I find) and usually warns you well in advance for time limits.

Keep lots of saves. :laugh:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I think that's good advice. Gameplay-wise, I would also say to try and learn how the weaknesses and knock-down system work and overall I would say to commit to sticking with it through the first part. I find the first part of Persona games to be simultaneously charming and then more of a drag due to how long they keep you on rails. If my memory is right it's a little bit better in Royal than Vanilla, but for brand new players I know this can sometimes be a stumbling block.

I never ran into any issues with completing palaces on time. As long as you leave yourself a couple of days collectively, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've been playing Strikers and enjoying it -- it's just starting to become a bit too repetitive for me in terms of the gameplay loops, but the game does a good job of varying things and throwing a surprise or two at you (don't want to say anything more specific to avoid spoilers). I do hope that this isn't a trial run for gameplay in an eventually P6, since having no social links really saps the persona out of the game, and although they integrate the persona stuff plenty well enough to make this not just a musou, I still find it hard to get fully into strategy and fusing personas.

I do think I have not yet fully mastered the different gameplay mechanics, which is something I am learning by starting to fight some optional, highly powered enemies who are really able to kick my ass. It's a huge step up in difficulty from the main storyline.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Any news on p4 for consoles?

I haven't seen anything -- are there rumors or are you just curious? I'd gladly shell out full price for just a straight port of the game on PS4/5. Planning to do that with the remastered SMT game that came out, though I still have P5S to finish and Yakuza: Like a Dragon, so I guess I might hold out and see if it comes down to $30 or so.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I doubt there's anything currently in the works since they just released P4G on Steam not long ago. Seems like they would have worked on an updated console version at the same time

I'd much prefer them to be working on a Persona 6 instead of re releasing an older game again

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I haven't seen anything -- are there rumors or are you just curious? I'd gladly shell out full price for just a straight port of the game on PS4/5. Planning to do that with the remastered SMT game that came out, though I still have P5S to finish and Yakuza: Like a Dragon, so I guess I might hold out and see if it comes down to $30 or so.

I’d just assume they add P4 to consoles since they ported it to pc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad