Persevering as a Jets fan through a bad season

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
People are still showing up to games despite a terrible season. Can you say that for other teams in the league given the same position?

It's not like they have a choice really. You have already paid to watch all the games, so if you want to pay $$$$ to sit at home and not go that's fine I guess. People that have the tickets are either going or selling the seats to someone else, but someone is going to the game.

As far as what is keeping me watching... it's hockey and I watch hockey.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I enjoy watching hockey.

Exactly this. Add to that an affinity for a particular franchise, and it's even better. When I watch the Jets play, I like to try to understand what each player does well and poorly, which players are likely to improve, how the roster projects.

This is nothing like the excitement of a playoff run, but I've really enjoyed watching Scheifele's development, how Ehlers is transitioning and imagining his ceiling, the very good signs we are seeing with Armia, Dano and Petan, etc. Every shift has something interesting to observe.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Although the Jets didn't do nearly as well as I thought they would this year I kept watching to see how the young guys do. I like seeing how they progress and we had a great example this year with Scheifele.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Unconditional fan, ever more so since the return. And I'm an optimist, so I'm always looking at the bright side of life.

I am anticipating a resurgence of the Jets Nation in the next two years as we work towards the Stanley Cup that is so rightfully ours.

YWGF18

Oct 24, 2011
Winnipeg
Seeing Scheifele develop this year has been worth it.

Same here. It's been somewhat refreshing not needing to worry about the games so early in the season, gives me more opportunity to pay attention to individuals.

Also freed up some social time since I don't need to watch every game...

That being said, I would gladly trade it all for an extra 20 points in the standings ;)

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
There was a period in the middle where plenty of players just seemed so absent or complacent in games and it was hard to watch. After the Buff signing and Ladd trade it feels like the guys and prospects are playing with new enthusiasm and it's now an entertaining race to the bottom.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
My support for the team remains unconditional but the organization itself is starting to rub me the wrong way. Oftentimes the treatment I get from my ST rep suggests that they think it's still 2011 and that they're doing me a favour rather than the other way around.

m.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
My support for the team remains unconditional but the organization itself is starting to rub me the wrong way. Oftentimes the treatment I get from my ST rep suggests that they think it's still 2011 and that they're doing me a favour rather than the other way around.

m.

Last time I e-mailed my rep he got back to me in 3 weeks. This time it's been 6 weeks and no response. Pretty poor customer service for a company that I have given about $45 000.00 to over the past 5 seasons. My car dealer and real estate agent respond within minutes. When they have 4 year TPA why respond to washroom concerns?

Back on track it is fun watching my kids enjoy games. They are oblivious to playoff races and tanking and just enjoy the games always cheering on the Jets.

Exiled Jets Fan

May 7, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Always been a Jets fan always will be.

I lived through 79-80 and 80-81. Not to mention 96. This is nothing in comparison. :cry:

Actually, I found the games this year much more painful to watch when they still had a chance. I dreaded the outcome every time. Now I'm having a lot of fun watching the young guys get tryouts and vaguely hoping for a hard fought loss. The future is bright, regardless of where we draft this year.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Hurts this time as we had something good going and could have built off of it, even if that meant missing playoffs which a lot of us predicted. We predicted having a small set back from last season, nothing tank worthy.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
When I read the title my first thought was "Pfft, I survived my team moving out of state, out of country, and out of time zone. This ain't nothing.". :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I lived through 79-80 and 80-81. Not to mention 96. This is nothing in comparison. :cry:

Actually, I found the games this year much more painful to watch when they still had a chance. I dreaded the outcome every time. Now I'm having a lot of fun watching the young guys get tryouts and vaguely hoping for a hard fought loss. The future is bright, regardless of where we draft this year.

Been there. Done that. Agree.

The problem the last 10 games has been something I've grown accustomed to. Pavelec. Trouble is now the problem is he is playing too well. Last 9 games 4-3-2, 10 points we didn't need. Sigh.

I've decided to stop worrying about the tank and the lottery. We could lose out, finish last. Lose the lottery and pick 4th or we could win out finish ~20th, win the lottery and pick Matthews.

This way it is fun watching the kids and Scheif, Wheeler play. :)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We're obviously all fascinated with just about every aspect of the Jets - the draft, prospect development, "the plan", coaching, salary cap management/contracts, UFAs, roster players' performance. Even bemoaning the state of the team this year is its own form of entertainment (at least for me - YMMV :P). Sure I'd rather be biting my nails trying to get into the playoffs (or even better, cruising in as a division leader), but that's just a part of why I'm invested in the game. So I'm persevering alright...

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Real fans stick with the team through it all. What's the fun in only being a fan when a team is winning? When the Jets finally become a contender and start winning some playoff games, and even some playoff rounds? It will be that much sweeter knowing the crap that the team and us fans had to go through to get there.

But also, I'm a hockey fan, it's still fun to watch NHL hockey, watch the young guys develop, watch wheeler have a 70 point season.

Brian Cadle Fan

Sep 15, 2011
I've been a fan since the very beginning. From the days when the NHL had an injunction preventing Hull and others from playing.

I've watched Aavco Cup championship teams. I've watched Bobby Hull get his rug yanked off. I've watched Derek Sanderson go through the motions before returning to the NHL. I've watched Gordie Howe play with his sons. I've watched the Jets beat the Russians. I've watched Teemu break the rookie scoring record. I've watched the second year in the NHL. I could go on, and often do. lol

A few mediocre years and a bad one or two? meh

There are a lot of good memories to be made.

My world is better with the Jets than without.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I've been a fan since the very beginning. From the days when the NHL had an injunction preventing Hull and others from playing.

I've watched Aavco Cup championship teams. I've watched Bobby Hull get his rug yanked off. I've watched Derek Sanderson go through the motions before returning to the NHL. I've watched Gordie Howe play with his sons. I've watched the Jets beat the Russians. I've watched Teemu break the rookie scoring record. I've watched the second year in the NHL. I could go on, and often do. lol

That was the best game EVER.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Well said. I went to my 1st game as a wide eyed kid in 72. Enjoyed lots of memories along the way. Having a team back is magic. I look forward to every single game no matter the circumstances. And I do believe one day that we will all be rewarded with a special season that ends in a cup run. Until then I will just keep enjoying watching NHL hockey. And I will never take the privilege for granted.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Probably fair to say all the HF Jets are fans and will continue to support and follow.
We just have different views on the process and time line of getting competitive.
I'll continue to watch no matter what.
GJG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad