Persevering as a Jets fan through a bad season

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
The Jets went from a first playoff appearance last year, to a race to the bottom this season. Even with such a fall, this forum still gets quite a bit of action.

The question is this. What has kept you engaged enough to stick around? Is it watching the rookies? Draft position? Do you think we're on the cusp of breaking out? Or is it more like watching a train wreck you cannot avert your eyes from? Or are you a Jets fan unconditionally, come hell or high water?

Are you hopeful or hopeless about the Jets' future? If hopeful, why? If hopeless, what is it about the team that still draws you to watch and comment? Do you feel trapped into caring about a team you don't believe in? Is venting with like-minded fans about dashed hopes therapeutic? To be clear, I think this is reasonable behavior, hopefully that question doesn't come across poorly.

Interested in any and all opinions. But to keep the mods sane, please take arguments to the Chevy/management thread, or wherever appropriate.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
Watching rookies and youth development
Coaching decisions (specifically special teams)
Draft position

This has kept me completely interested

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I would say I'm a fan unconditionally. It's not really as fun watching the games when there is nothing to play for really, but, as cheesy as it might sound, I just love the Jets no matter what. :cheer:

I do also enjoy watching the prospects get their chance, and we all knew there had to be changes made to the team, and that it what is happening, so that makes things interesting as well. If we were in a playoff race, I'm sure they wouldn't be getting any real looks, other than covering for injuries.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
It's just a game - it's still fun watching hockey regardless of whether the Jets win or lose.

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
The question is this. What has kept you engaged enough to stick around? Is it watching the rookies? Draft position? Do you think we're on the cusp of breaking out? Or is it more like watching a train wreck you cannot avert your eyes from? Or are you a Jets fan unconditionally, come hell or high water?

I've been watching this franchise since I went to university up the road from Atlanta. I started watching when Kovalchuk and Heatley were rookies together. I thought the franchise had a ton of potential and it would be an adventure to watch as they developed. Well, I was right about the adventure part.

Twelve seasons later, I've moved around the country and kept watching as the team moved north of the border. I watch 85% or so of the games. Perhaps this is a sign of mental illness, but it's been a fun road even as I've only witnessed two playoff berths and ZERO playoff victories.

I truly believe that we start becoming a great team in the next year or two. I stay tuned in to see how these players' careers unfold. I've invested time and money into this franchise. Its entertaining when things are down, but once we start to win some playoff series and *gasp* even a Cup, all that time and patience as a fan will make it all the sweeter.

Anyway, that's how I see it. You're lucky you can see NHL hockey in person. All we have down here is ECHL, and ugh....

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Watching the young guys is what keeps me excited for every game. If we didn't have the injuries we did and it was the same lineup, I wouldn't be as excited for games. But I would still watch them. Just not with the same level of excitement.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Generally feel the team is exciting to watch and in every game. Unlike the first three seasons. Persevering has been a piece of cake.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Why would I stop being a fan? Nothing can do that. It's in my blood.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Diehard fan of Jets 1.0, never watched much hockey (NHL) when the Jets left, excited for the return of the Jets and hyped when 2.0 became a reality, really engaged for first 4 seasons (may have missed watching 5-7 games), playoff race was a great season, this year a real downer, NHL style of play for the first 3/4's of the season as dull as watching paint dry, now missing games for other things, when the Jets season ends I'm done watching NHL hockey until October!

White Out 403*

What keeps me engaged and watching is a few things:
1) Jets fan since birth.. I view it as a sort of birth right and connection to my home.
2) I remember very specifically post 1996 longing for the simple pleasure of a Jets game on TV. I dont take it for granted.
3) I get great pleasure from seeing pavelec get lit up.
4) Some of the youth seem to be bright and have a good future, so it's nice to dream a dream of a great Jets team.

There's also a bit of rubber necking involved too. This year is such a gong show that it's like driving by a terrible accident; you can't help but watch. I also REALLY like when they pan to chevy when the Jets lose or get scored on or blown out. It's like a satisfying shaming.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I haven't been watching much the last month or two. It started with the disastrous NHL.tv rollout that made watching a game almost impossible - so I ended up missing some games. Then the bad product takes its toll. I do still watch some, mostly to see how the young players are faring, to see scheifele grow, and to see if burmistrov can reach his potential.

I'm skeptically hopeful for the future. I think the expectations of all these young players/draft picks are incredibly rosy, but at the same time there does have to be some truth in these projections.

I used to put off doing real life things and almost schedule my life around jets games. I don't anymore. Now it's one of a few forms of entertainment I partake in during free time, and I choose what I want to do at the time. If the game is boring, I turn it off and do something else. Fair weather fan? whatever, I guess.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
It's weird, but I've gotten nearly as much enjoyment out of a season that was lost a month ago as I did last season in the playoff run. We haven't ever had such a fail as we have this year, so having to switch gears and start focusing on prospects and development has helped me tap into a new level of fandom. If anything, I've been able to assess and analyze this team with far more depth and more objectivity than ever.

Bring on next season!

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I've been a Jets fan since we first entered the NHL in 1979.

I've endured losing streaks, heartbreaking playoff loses, the team leaving in 1996 and reading countless articles about players not wanting to play here.

But, no matter how many times I am disappointed I keep cheering for my team because I'm an arrogant SOB who likes an underdog.

Go! :jets Go!

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
What has kept you engaged enough to stick around?
Is it watching the rookies?
Draft position?
Do you think we're on the cusp of breaking out?
Or is it more like watching a train wreck you cannot avert your eyes from?
Or are you a Jets fan unconditionally, come hell or high water?
All of the above has kept me engaged... Rookies, draft position, we ARE on the cusp of breaking out AND it is like watching a train wreck as well, on top of all that, I also consider myself a Jets fan unconditionally. I'm in for the long haul! :yo:

Are you hopeful or hopeless about the Jets' future? If hopeful, why?
I'm hopeful, mainly because of Scheifele and Ehlers' development, the group of young players that have come up recently (Lowry, Armia, Helle, Dano) and the others getting ready to come up (Conor, Tanev + unknown draft picks).

If hopeless, what is it about the team that still draws you to watch and comment?
Having said the above, I may be optimistic and always looking for the positives, I am not a "head-in-the-clouds/rose-colored-glasses" type fan either. Don't get me wrong, I am fully aware that there's a risk of another lame tank worthy season of hopelessness. I just don't like to personally speak or propagate that type of narrative. Just because I don't predict doom, doesn't mean I didn't expect it. However, I do appreciate those who do as I appreciate the perspective so long as it's done without condescending or pretentious tone.

Do you feel trapped into caring about a team you don't believe in? Is venting with like-minded fans about dashed hopes therapeutic?
I personally don't feel trapped but I can see how some people may, especially if they've invested in a term commitment to the team in the form of season seats. Venting wouldn't be the word I use to describe myself but finding those fans who are like-minded can only be found by expressing your feelings against those who aren't, so you need both, it's respect that's missing from time to time (not so much on this board but twitter crazy). But, it's the internet and, for the most part, strangers to eachother, so opinions are "sharper" than if you had a conversation with a "real" friend face to face. I take it all with a grain of salt.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I followed this franchise when they were as bad as they were this season but with pretty much no prospects at all. Last year was my highlight peak in success since following the franchise and this year is finally the beginning of a successful future with a deep and talented team.

No reason to stop caring about this team at all. I started working three weeks ago though, so I haven't watched anything else than highlights for 3-4 weeks now. The effort of time I'd need to put in to even watch the replay coming home after work is too much for a meaningless game of hockey.

The days of me being able to watch the majority of games live in the middle of the night are over unfortunately. But I knew that time would come once I start working a real job :/

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm watching to see how the young guys do, to see how our hot new top line does, to see where Chef's point totals end up...and to see how high we can draft. So I'm watching to see the team play well but lose in the end. I'm totally OK with that right now...

...but I'm certainly hoping to see something better next year.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Everyone here has pretty much touched on why I will continue to cheer for the Jets unconditionally.

NOT a fair-weather fan (I'm also a huge Bombers fan, so you know I'm a glutton for punishment).

I love watching hockey.

Seeing some of our rookies make an impact this season has been wonderful, I can't wait to see Ehlers bust out next year on our top line.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Well having the Jets be out of the league for 15 years does give one a sense of perspective on a down season.

But I have to admit - I am watching a lot less of Jets games. With the Jets out of the playoff hunt I'm more of a "let's check the score a couple of times" rather than a "sit down and watch all of the action" kind of guy.

But I still check the score. I still wear Jets gear around town (Edmonton). I still come by here to check out the latest news. I can't not be a fan of this team. But now most of my interest is in the future - how are the kids developing, where will the Jets end up drafting (and who will they draft), what will they do on the contract front with someone like Trouba... still lots of news around this team.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
People are still showing up to games despite a terrible season. Can you say that for other teams in the league given the same position?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad