Perry suspension incoming?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't know how you can read the rule, watch the video and NOT come to the conclusion that a three game suspension is warranted.

As I pointed out on the last page, an automatic suspension is warranted only if a game misconduct was issued during the game. Perry should've gotten one, based on the video and the rulebook, but he got off with only a plain misconduct, so there's no automatic suspension. The NHL could still suspend him, anyways, but they don't have to, according to the rulebook.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Honestly what Perry did should be an automatic suspension by the rules.
so should high sticking and playing the puck outside the trapezoid, but i do see you taking issue with that....again, the NHL fails to be black and white with the rules and therefor keeps us all guessing on who and how the rules are applied.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
so should high sticking and playing the puck outside the trapezoid, but i do see you taking issue with that....again, the NHL fails to be black and white with the rules and therefor keeps us all guessing on who and how the rules are applied.

High sticking and playing the puck outside the trapezoid should be an automatic suspension?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm not taking issue with anything, the rule is clear.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Suspension worthy for sure but is it even being reviewed at this point? I guess they would wait until the Sens - Pens is over for any announcement?

The ref let him off the hook I guess or he just wanted to rally the troops and see what the general consensus is? I mean if the abuse call wasn't made can the NHLOA still force the NHL to suspend Perry even for a game?

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Suspension worthy for sure but is it even being reviewed at this point? I guess they would wait until the Sens - Pens is over for any announcement?

The ref let him off the hook I guess or he just wanted to rally the troops and see what the general consensus is? I mean if the abuse call wasn't made can the NHLOA still force the NHL to suspend Perry even for a game?

Wait, that game's still going on?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
High sticking and playing the puck outside the trapezoid should be an automatic suspension?

Not sure how anyone could try to compare those to abuse of an official. Reminds me of parents who think their kids can do no wrong, even when they're caught red handed on video.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

They didn't announce the getzlaf fine until game day. I would imagine if he gets suspended we will here about it by noon or so tomorrow.

Just because an on ice penalty wasn't called doesn't mean you won't get suspended... Just ask wideman that. But then again that wasn't in the playoffs and wideman isn't a star so who knows. (Yes I know wideman incident was much worse but both of the events have clear cut rules with clear cut punishments).

I think refs are a little shy calling the abuse penalty due to the automatic suspensions involved and the fact that it's currently the wcf and they have already really swallowed their whistles

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
If he hasnt been suspended yet, he's not going to be. ****ing disgrace NHL. Referee union must be ****ing livid right now they let that go.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
If he hasnt been suspended yet, he's not going to be. ****ing disgrace NHL. Referee union must be ****ing livid right now they let that go.

the process is actually drilled out oddly specifically in the rulebook, they have to make the call on the ice(this appears key in the rulebook language), confer after and agree then submit a report to colin campbell, then the following morning conference call with the PA. from there, there's a 72 hour window for appeal and it's supposed to be expedited

quite frankly, if the union's pissed they got no one to blame but the officials on ice for calling it a 10min misconduct instead of a game misconduct for abuse of an official cause that appears to be the deal breaker. all that said, i'm pretty sure this can all be trumped by the commissioner if he decides to suspend on his own merit, but that's CBA language and i'm not about to dig for it

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
The rules are pretty clear on this one but I doubt anything comes of it. The officiating these playoffs have proven to be Busch League - yep, I said Busch instead of Bush because that beer is just that terrible and like the reffing it'll make you throw up.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
the process is actually drilled out oddly specifically in the rulebook, they have to make the call on the ice(this appears key in the rulebook language), confer after and agree then submit a report to colin campbell, then the following morning conference call with the PA. from there, there's a 72 hour window for appeal and it's supposed to be expedited

quite frankly, if the union's pissed they got no one to blame but the officials on ice for calling it a 10min misconduct instead of a game misconduct for abuse of an official cause that appears to be the deal breaker. all that said, i'm pretty sure this can all be trumped by the commissioner if he decides to suspend on his own merit, but that's CBA language and i'm not about to dig for it

Wideman wasn't called for abuse on ref or anything at all to be technical... Still ended up suspended for 20 games and ended. League can decide that it was suspension worthy but will they? Idk I believe wideman was suspended indefinitely until the hearing happened and suspended for 20 games I think a week after the hit. If the dops decides he needs to be suspended for violating a rule that says without a doubt he needs to be then he'll be suspended.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC

This!!!

If Carcillo got 10 games for a far less agregios offense, the NHL needs to redefine its rule book. Perry shook free from a Refs hold twice to re enter an altercation.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
vermette got 10 games for tapping a ref on the leg with his stick but it was called immediately

i think since nothing happened immediately after perry's actions, either nothing will come out of this or he'll just be fined

either way, you'd be hard pressed to find a ducks fan who cares at this point. this isn't 2011 corey perry

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Ive often wondered how cohesive NHL officials were as a unit.... if they really are, as a whole, upset that nothing is going to be done to Perry, you have to wonder if the crew for tomorrows game might, either consciously or subconsciously, "do something" about it...

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I did notice it live when it happened but it didn't seem like that big a deal was made if it - not like the punch landed on the ref - he clearly only contacted the preds player when he punched. Pretty good contact too. Had he punched the ref I think he would have gotten in serious trouble.

But I am often wrong about these things. I was convinced Chara would get suspended when he nearly killed Pacioretty but he wasn't. And I also thought the hit on Nathan Horton was clean and they suspended Rome the rest of the Stanley Cup finals. Remember the Naslund hit by Steve Moore? The Canucks were so mad about it but it seemed legal to me, and then Bertuzzi ended Moore's career. Silly stuff.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I don't know how you can read the rule, watch the video and NOT come to the conclusion that a three game suspension is warranted.

The NHL finds a way

giphy.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Holy crap he could've screwed up the officials neck and back with that crap. How does he not get suspended for that?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
naw, no suspension.

If he played for a Canadian team, probably. No f in joke.

Thank you NHL.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

Which rules cover automatic suspensions for high sticking and delays of game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad