Perry suspension incoming?

skitsofrantic911

Jan 12, 2016
https://gfycat.com/ReasonableHairyBluet

Rulebook 40.4 states: "Any player [...] deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immidiately following an altercation shall be suspended for not less than three (3) games."

Getting physical with the refs at all should be ground for immediate suspension. Interesting to see how the NHL decides to handle this.

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
Probably should be a 1-game suspension, but the fact that it's the playoffs and it's also Corey Perry he'll probably get a fine/slap on the wrist.

Rule 40.4 - "Automatic Suspension – Category III - Any player who, by his
actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an
official by (but not limited to) throwing a stick or any other piece of
equipment or object at or in the general direction of an official,
shooting the puck at or in the general direction of an official, spitting at
or in the general direction of an official, or who deliberately applies
physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of
such an official during or immediately following an altercation
shall be
suspended for not less than three (3) games"

Fits the description, but it won't be 3 games during the playoffs though.

EDIT: Didn't realize you already posted the rule in there, guess great minds think alike :)

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
The way that rule is worded there is absolutely zero way you can argue for no suspension. That said, he won't be suspended.

Last edited:

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Perry was probably mad at himself for that terrible pass he made that led to the empty netter and was taking it out on whoever was around him.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A minimum 3-game suspension seems like a rather harsh penalty for trying to free yourself from a ref's hold, IMO. If the player were to punch or shove the ref, that'd be different, but it's a rather natural reaction to resist someone restraining you, especially when you're fired up. That doesn't make it right, but 3 games seems harsh. I wouldn't be surprised if that's not enforced very often and not here, especially against a star player in the playoffs. At some point, perhaps they should revise that rule (to, say, a minimum 1-game suspension) so that there's more latitude for discretion according to severity and situation.

Of course! Everything the Ducks do needs to be suspended

The rulebook was written before Perry decided to do that, not after. I'm not sure whom you're mocking, the OP for pointing out a clear violation of the rulebook or the league for writing it. You should hold your team's players accountable for doing stupid things, instead of getting indignant and acting like others are prejudiced against your team for doing it.

Last edited:

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
The way that rule is worded there is absolutely zero way you can argue for no suspension. That said, he won't be suspended.
He will be suspended for three games. Even if the ref "offended" doesn't care, the NHLOA will make sure the rules are enforced. That said, the NHLPA may also fight this and the actual suspension may not happen until next year. However, I would expect the league to make its ruling Sunday afternoon, and not get a PA response until late Monday, so I wouldn't expect Perry for game 6.

SilasAdams

Jun 19, 2010
Deadwood
I mean he did exactly what the rule says not to do. If he doesnt get suspended then the league is basically saying do whatever you want

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Perry is obviously violating the rule that says three games minimum. Then again it's the playoffs so I wouldn't be surprised if nothing came out of it, but that is a pretty dumb move to do.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
Zero chance of a suspension, although it is clearly warranted.

It's the playoffs.

At worst, he'll get a stern talkin' to.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Zero chance of a suspension, although it is clearly warranted.

It's the playoffs.

At worst, he'll get a stern talkin' to.

Here's the problem with your argument: Most of the time, the suspension battle is player vs. player, so while the PA cares, they don't really care, and they let the whole thing kind of drop to the side. However, the NHLOA does care (like a lot), and they will fight hard for a 3 game suspension. I think that will eventually happen, but the NHL will use as many delaying tactics as they can to push the ruling into the offseason, and the suspension into next year.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
He might get something, especially with Getzlaf just being fined.

I wouldn't compare it to DeAngelo though. Don't kid yourself, there's a complete different set of standards for this type of thing with a rookie (especially one with question marks about his character) and a vet like Perry.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016

I wouldn't compare it to DeAngelo though. Don't kid yourself, there's a complete different set of standards for this type of thing with a rookie (especially one with question marks about his character) and a vet like Perry.

wat :help:

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014

...a vet like Perry, who also has question marks about his character. This seems pretty cut and dried, especially with the Henderson lawsuit ongoing. But you also have to factor in the Ducks white glove treatment.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Not necessarily. The rule does specifically state "Any player who, by his actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an official..."

If anyone took Perry doing that as "threatening or demeaning an official" then they are being VERY liberal with the definitions of the words "threaten" and "demean".

From the linked video, it looks to me more like Perry's right foot slipped back, and he naturally leaned his upper body forward to compensate so that he wouldn't fall over.

Now, I don't particularly like Corey Perry, but I don't think anything he did in the provided video was suspension worthy, or even fine worthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad