Perron on the market is bad news for a handful of reasons

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Yes, let's trade one of the few people in the entire franchise that still wants to win and actually has some idea of what has to be done.
To be honest the best that we can hope for right now is to stay competitive in the MacDerby. Eakins & MacT getting fired is waaaayyyyyy too much to ask for so trading Perron is a step in the right direction. Think of it as trading Perron for MacDavid.

I hope Lowe and MacT ruin their legacies to the point where this is what people remember them for.
MacT never really had a legacy to begin with. He was a good checking line center for a couple of years on cup winning teams but that's not the makings of a legacy. IMO he was 1% of the reason we won 5 cups. When you compare his contributions to those of Kurri, Coffey, Ranford, Fogolin, Lowe, Huddy, Gretzky, Messier, Simpson etc, etc you get the picture. Guys like McLelland, Hunter and Lumley have as much of a legacy as MacT here.

KLo has a legacy here but he's just above "supporting cast" level. Guys like Rod Langway and Mark Howe were better players than Lowe but they never played on a team with Messier, Gretzky, Anderson, Kurri and Coffey.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don't think he's that far off. I think the point is, no GM is going to come ridding in on a white horse and save the Oilers by giving them an undisputed first line center for Perron. I like Perron, but any trade involving him is going to be a trade that the Oilers will lose, no doubt.

So what's the point then? You made a terrific asset management move getting Perron, then throw him away in a bad asset management move? I hope this is not what MacTavish is about to do. Eberle would give us a good asset management trade because teams would pay up for a young 1st liner, even mid-season. Especially after the Seguin trade. It's a tough decision but it's one that needs to happen because we just have to move away from the smaller/soft skilled players..

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
After hearing Perron's interview from the Chicago game, I really hope this article isn't right in suggesting that bruising the 'old boys ego's' is enough to trade a hard-working, passionate player with size and skill from our team. He's one of the few that still plays like he cares, I know if we trade him we lose that deal. The man was our leading scorer from last season and so we put him on the 2nd line with Marc Arcobello and complain about his underproduction.

When the problem is our management and coach, they'll continue to recycle all the pieces they can because they can never conceive that they are the problem. I don't care what we trade Perron for, it's not going to make a difference on this team so why do it? He is EXACTLY what the oilers need more of. Part of me hopes he gets traded because he seems like a good guy who doesn't deserve to put up with the **** on our team.

Last edited:

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
I think you're right about what kind of player Perron can fetch right now but with the signing of Pouliot, Perron is as good as gone after next year.

He will need to be moved unless we want to waste another asset but can we really expect his value to get much higher?

If we give him first line minutes for the rest of the season I could see him turning it around until the trade deadline, when he could be really appealing. But, I'm still scratching my head about why we signed Pouliot when I'm sure most people would prefer Perron.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Perron is learning the hard way you never speak ill of the king and his minions.

Thunderstick

Jun 24, 2008
Alberta
David Perron should be Captin Not Dealt

What is the world coming to when you get shipped out for speaking your mind? The Oilers should be looking for more Perrons not getting rid of him. He actually gives a sh!!!t works hard and is the kind of grinder needed to be competitive. As soon as he is gone they will be looking to replace someone with his grit and agitative ways. The Oilers need more garbagemen blue collar workers than fancy dancy danglers. See Curtis Glencross as a prime example. Fancy 80's hockey is done fellas time to get the lunchkits out and get to work....

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Provide the evidence that Perron is being shopped because he spoke out.

I agree that Perron shouldn't be traded but to suggest he is being shopped because he spoke out looks like some HF generated nonsense.

He is not captain material either IMO.

Also...did this really need its own thread?

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON

I agree that Perron shouldnt be traded but to suggest he is being shopped because he spoke out looks like some HF generated nonsense.

This.

Perron might be at risk for being traded because, yknow, he's a talented winger on a very bad team with winger depth.

Is there another player who is both useful and expendable? Yes, Jordan Eberle. Beyond that? Hardly anybody. Purcell, maybe.

We're not going to land help at centre or defense by dangling Arcobello, Nikitin, and David Musil, I'll tell you that much.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He is not being shipped our for speaking out.
He is not captain material at all.

Thunderstick

Jun 24, 2008
Alberta
Fair enough but it will be a move that we regret. Count on it. Lol This type of thinking is going to keep us in the cellar for years to come.... Can't wait to see how bad we get fleeced once the deal comes down. Everybody that wants a job just keep your mouths shut do the same thing every night and collect your paychecks. They will just trade the good players anyways. If you show any signs of being an actual hockey player you wont be commended for it you will be "tradebait" what a joke

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This.

Perron might be at risk for being traded because, yknow, he's a talented winger on a very bad team with winger depth.

Is there another player who is both useful and expendable? Yes, Jordan Eberle. Beyond that? Hardly anybody. Purcell, maybe.

We're not going to land help at centre or defense by dangling Arcobello, Nikitin, and David Musil, I'll tell you that much.

Exactly...outside of Eberle and Perron there really aren't a lot wingers with value. I just think that the team has too many perimeter players and Eberle would bring a bigger return.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yes, let's trade one of the few people in the entire franchise that still wants to win and actually has some idea of what has to be done.

I hope Lowe and MacT ruin their legacies to the point where this is what people remember them for.

Done and done!

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver

I agree that Perron shouldn't be traded but to suggest he is being shopped because he spoke out looks like some HF generated nonsense.

There's some conjecture on my behalf, for sure. I present it as a possibility only.

I just thought it was a little weird that his name hit the trade rumour waves literally the day after Perron said these things.

Also, MacTavish is the general manager of an NHL team so I hope he realizes that Perron's market value is at a relative low right now. Why else trade him now?

If he traded him in the offseason for a center, fine then. His value was very high at that point, and the Oilers would likely have gotten optimal return.

But trade him 20 games into an already-lost season where he has just two goals? General managers have short memories, they're going to look at Perron's two goals this year more than his 28 last season.

Trade him now, you get a lesser return than the one you could get if you waited until the offseason, or even the trade deadline.

Moving him now makes no sense, whatsoever.

gofafeads

Oct 10, 2008
What is the world coming to when you get shipped out for speaking your mind? The Oilers should be looking for more Perrons not getting rid of him. He actually gives a sh!!!t works hard and is the kind of grinder needed to be competitive. As soon as he is gone they will be looking to replace someone with his grit and agitative ways. The Oilers need more garbagemen blue collar workers than fancy dancy danglers. See Curtis Glencross as a prime example. Fancy 80's hockey is done fellas time to get the lunchkits out and get to work....

As others have stated, perron is as good as gone after next season when he's an ufa. The pouliot signing is the proof of this (for the record id rather have perron). There is no incentive for him to stay, no attachment, we wont overpay (he will be looking for a raise and overpay to stay here, to around 5 million, so with hall and pouliot already signed long term too much money will be spent on lw), and he will want to be on a contender.

Furthermore Perron is a dangler, this idea that he is some gritty, blue collar, hitter, corner digger grinder forechecker is so overblown because these skills are foreign to oiler skill guys and is magnified on this team. On any other team, he is below average to average at those skills and would be considered a soft skilled guy who can agitate. I also found him to be hypocritical when he spoke out about players when they were trying to beat swarms of players when in fact he tries the same stuff every game.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Anyone have a link to what he said when he "spoke out"? I've seen everyone referencing that lately, but haven't actually seen anything.

edit - hurr durr, it's mentioned in the article. I guess I should read first. Is that all he said? “It’s about a full 60,” Perron said after the 2-0 loss to the Devils. “We need to have accountability from coaches and teammates.” That's it?

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada

Maybe I'm mistaken, but this has already happened no?

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Anyone have a link to what he said when he "spoke out"? I've seen everyone referencing that lately, but haven't actually seen anything.

edit - hurr durr, it's mentioned in the article. I guess I should read first. Is that all he said? “It’s about a full 60,†Perron said after the 2-0 loss to the Devils. “We need to have accountability from coaches and teammates.†That's it?

Yeah that's all he said that was truly damning.

But he did blatantly call out the coaching staff in that quote, if you ask me.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

This is what people will forever remember them for.

Do you remember Mike Milbury as a hard as nails Defensive Defenseman for the Bruins, who supported them enroute to the Stanley Cup finals on 2 occasions? Or Coached them to a Finals in 1990?

NOPE! Everyone remembers him as arguably the worst executive in hockey history, sewering the Islanders franchise for years to come.

Also, he was an executive, on a string of futility much shorter than Kevin Lowe's.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

edit - hurr durr, it's mentioned in the article. I guess I should read first. Is that all he said? “It’s about a full 60,†Perron said after the 2-0 loss to the Devils. “We need to have accountability from coaches and teammates.†That's it?

That's a pretty damming assessment of Eakins and his (lack of) accountability issues. And I'm willing to bet that the the players insinuated were Schultz and Eberle.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
Does anyone really think Perron is going to re sign here? Or if he does, that it won't be an overpay contract? Edmonton is strong on the wings. I like Perron but if there's a trade on the table for a good c or d with a contract as long or longer, you pull the trigger.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

He said a bit more than this. The one thing that stood out and implicated a player was when he referenced a meaningless pinch costing them a goal. I don't know if you watched the Devils game or not but that was in direct reference to Schultz pinching when he had zero opportunity to make a play. It directly cost them the second goal. He said other things that made me think he was referring to the core players. I can't remember them all right now other than the Schultz reference but if you haven't heard the unedited interview you should listen to it.

I'm not saying he's on the block because of these comments. Who knows. What I will say is that listening to them live they immediately reminded me of what Smid said a week before he was traded. My guess is that Perron had already asked for a trade before this happened and doesn't care about towing a company line anymore.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Exactly...outside of Eberle and Perron there really aren't a lot wingers with value. I just think that the team has too many perimeter players and Eberle would bring a bigger return.

Imo Eberle is much less tradeable than Perron. There would be a lot more teams interested in Perron because of that low cap hit. For a team like the Pens, the short term on the deal is actually a good thing considering they have no trouble signing and re-signing players (especially wingers) and would prefer not to marry themselves to a long term high cap hit over 4 million.

Perron is also clearly the more gritty player. Usually the buyers of the league are looking at the playoffs, where grit is more important.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
As others have stated, perron is as good as gone after next season when he's an ufa. The pouliot signing is the proof of this (for the record id rather have perron). There is no incentive for him to stay, no attachment, we wont overpay (he will be looking for a raise and overpay to stay here, to around 5 million, so with hall and pouliot already signed long term too much money will be spent on lw), and he will want to be on a contender.

Furthermore Perron is a dangler, this idea that he is some gritty, blue collar, hitter, corner digger grinder forechecker is so overblown because these skills are foreign to oiler skill guys and is magnified on this team. On any other team, he is below average to average at those skills and would be considered a soft skilled guy who can agitate. I also found him to be hypocritical when he spoke out about players when they were trying to beat swarms of players when in fact he tries the same stuff every game.

This is bang on. He is a dangler on a team full of danglers. I said in the off-season that the oilers would be better off with a 40 point Nick Foligno than a 60 point Perron given our team makeup. Foligno at least earns his PIMs with physicality and not cheap hooking, holding, and goalie interference like Perron. Now Foligno is on pace for 40 goals and 80 points, and we are set to make a desperation trade. I don't see why management failed to move him in the offseason, unless the plan is to have a 4 million dollar Pouliot on the third line. Strange asset management considering we already have a 4.5 million boat anchor in Purcell on the third line. I will wager that Arcobello will lead all top 9 forwards in hits by the end of the year, which is sad, pathetic, and an indictment on the guys building this team.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
That's a pretty damming assessment of Eakins and his (lack of) accountability issues. And I'm willing to bet that the the players insinuated were Schultz and Eberle.

Actually after that particular game he was referring to Hall and Schultz, especially Schultz when he mentions pinching. It sounds all great and stuff that Perron said something, but he was also the guy who gave the puck away for break away in that very same game.

Perron probably talked to his agent and requested a trade.

He isn't being used properly (no one is) he does draw penalties, but he is big time one man player. I hope we get a decent return for him, please let it be Boone Jenner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad