Perezhogin

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
People are more focused on how to punish than how to prevent. Go check the HFboards flyers part and the discussion about the hit on Kapanen in game 6. It is peoples attitude that will some day be the end of someones life. If the audience would be more vocal and more demanding after horrible hits like that, league would have to change things, especially in the refs department. Now many are saying "well, it was a dirty hit but Kapanen did not get that hurt after all so I guess it's ok" or "It wasn't that dirty for Tucker". We really should not accept breaking the rules even in situations that have a "happy ending".

md17

How about some respect?

I haven't read even half of the messages on this thread, and whilst I agree with Vlad on the lack of proper crack down on injury causing cheapshots, I'd like to underline one very basic thing:
Namely, individual responsibility and respect for fellow players. While there must be rules and punishments, in the end it's the individual that makes or breaks the game. I honestly can't stand the idea that without the big brother watching, the players grow to loose respect for the health of their opponents. That's simply disgusting, and if it happens, we are dealing with issues going far more deeper than officiating and disciplanatory actions by the league.

Last edited:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
md17 said:
I haven't read even half of the messages on this thread, and whilst I agree with Vlad on the lack of proper cutdown on injury causing cheapshots, I'd like to underline one very basic thing:
Namely, individual responsibility and respect for fellow players. While there must be rules and punishments, in the end it's the individual that makes or breaks the game. I honestly can't stand the idea that without the big brother watching, the players grow to loose respect for the health of their opponents. That's simply disgusting, and if it happens, we are dealing with issues going far more deeper than officiating and disciplanatory actions by the league.

You are right, we ARE dealing with issues going far more deeper than officiating. We are dealing with human nature, and do I really need to say what that still is? We are still barbarians, and the more people cheer for blood, players will reflect and give the audience the circus what they want. Respect for your opponent will not come before people stop thinking that hockey rink is a place where normal rules of society don't apply. Right now lots of people watch hockey for the possible fighting and blood.

There should be a line when people like Darcy Tucker are forced to think "If I make a normal hit here without leaving my feet and putting my elbows up, I will stop the player and crowd will cheer.....If I jump and put elbows up, they will boo me and diss me in public". Right now it is "The harder I can make it look, despite the opponents health, crowd will cheer me, and idiots on tv will call it hit of the year".

Things will not change without changes in humans, or a drastic change in officiating (which will possibly ruin the game).

md17

psycho_dad said:
You are right, we ARE dealing with issues going far more deeper than officiating. We are dealing with human nature, and do I really need to say what that still is? We are still barbarians, and the more people cheer for blood, players will reflect and give the audience the circus what they want. Respect for your opponent will not come before people stop thinking that hockey rink is a place where normal rules of society don't apply. Right now lots of people watch hockey for the possible fighting and blood.

There should be a line when people like Darcy Tucker are forced to think "If I make a normal hit here without leaving my feet and putting my elbows up, I will stop the player and crowd will cheer.....If I jump and put elbows up, they will boo me and diss me in public". Right now it is "The harder I can make it look, despite the opponents health, crowd will cheer me, and idiots on tv will call it hit of the year".

Things will not change without changes in humans, or a drastic change in officiating (which will possibly ruin the game).

Yes, it's human nature and yes, the public response has an affect, but I'm not convinced it's quite that simple. It is possible to play tough, even have fights, without all this cheap **** that totally neglects the health of the opponents. In my mind we are talking about individual players having the responsibility to identify the limits in playing tough intensive hockey and "doing what it takes" to win. Lacking the ability to identify that limit, and ending up injuring your opponents due to irresponsible or even intentional plays should not be assumed as some kind of automatic end result of human nature. The best proof of this is the fact that a big part (a majority I hope) of the players still know where the limit lies. There's always going to be punks that don't have the tools to act intelligently, but if the number of those individuals and the cheap shots keep rising, and the lack of respect is more evident than ever, we have a problem in the way in which the players have been brought up plaing the game. Is it just the hockey community or society in general or both is a question of it's own. Whatever it is, it's clear that the only way to fix the current situation in NHL is a crack down by the league, as Vlad suggested. If the players haven't been given the basic tools to act like something at least slightly above a baboon when they've been growing up, they need to be forced to at least try.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Pantokrator said:
They should both be banned for a year. The only reason Perezhogin got a year is because he actually connected. The intent was there for Stafford, I say punish him just as much. They both were stupid. Stafford got off lightly.

The way I see it, both should have been suspend for the rest of the playoffs + 20-30 games next season.

Sammy*

Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Wow, the AHL is even more of a joke than the NHL is. I guess that's kind of nice to know.
How is the AHL more of a joke?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I for one wish Perezohgin never played another minute of proffesional hockey. I said the same for Bertuzzi, and I stick by it here. Its a shame the guy isn't in jail for armed assault, but what can you do.......1 year is child's play for what he did.....and in two years he'll be making big bucks in the NHL :shakehead

Sure some of you don't agree with me, but frankly, I don't care. Its wrong to slash a guy in the head with a stick, or drive a head into the ice. Its flat out immoral, unethical, and it makes me sick to my stomach. They KNOWINGLY did these things, as well. Spur of the momment excuses are hogwash. It takes a huge mental effort to perform the act that P. did......at least it would be for me. The concept of slashing a guy with a stick in the head doesn't even cross my mind......heck, the fact that it did for Alex, and that he then performed the act makes me want the guy off the ice even more :madfire:

allrevvedup25

Jul 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Pantokrator said:
They should both be banned for a year. The only reason Perezhogin got a year is because he actually connected. The intent was there for Stafford, I say punish him just as much. They both were stupid. Stafford got off lightly.

I totally agree and Garry Galley on the Team 1200 stated the same thing. That Garrett Stafford would get next to nothing compared to Perezhogin because he didn't connect.

Munchausen

Sabes said:
Stafford recieved 6 games for his slash that didn't connect, so they have both been punished fairly.

Ridiculous. Perezhogin might be getting what he deserved, but Stafford sure isn't. He swung his stick in the exact manner Perezhogin did, except he missed and did not connect.

This only sends the message that you can play as carelessly as you want but as long as nobody gets seriously injured, we'll let you do it.

Stafford should be getting around 40 games for what he did. Then and only then will we be able to say they are trying to prevent. Now they're just punishing the consequence, but not the act itself, therefore it will have no effect on the players in-game reactions.

Cobra Kai

Sweep The Leg
Apr 21, 2004
Hong Kong
Munchausen said:
Stafford should be getting around 40 games for what he did. Then and only then will we be able to say they are trying to prevent. Now they're just punishing the consequence, but not the act itself, therefore it will have no effect on the players in-game reactions.

Your absolutly right !

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Enoch said:
I for one wish Perezohgin never played another minute of proffesional hockey. I said the same for Bertuzzi, and I stick by it here. Its a shame the guy isn't in jail for armed assault, but what can you do.......1 year is child's play for what he did.....and in two years he'll be making big bucks in the NHL :shakehead

Sure some of you don't agree with me, but frankly, I don't care. Its wrong to slash a guy in the head with a stick, or drive a head into the ice. Its flat out immoral, unethical, and it makes me sick to my stomach. They KNOWINGLY did these things, as well. Spur of the momment excuses are hogwash. It takes a huge mental effort to perform the act that P. did......at least it would be for me. The concept of slashing a guy with a stick in the head doesn't even cross my mind......heck, the fact that it did for Alex, and that he then performed the act makes me want the guy off the ice even more :madfire:

Have you ever had a stick swung at your head? Even if it misses, you can't understand what its like unless you're in that situation.

My opinion of the matter is - Stafford swung first. At that point he gave up all his rights. If i'm involved in a confrontation with someone and they use a weapon as force against me, i don't care what the rules say, i'm protecting myself however i can do it at the time. In this scenario, Perez looked like he naturally reacted to swing Stafford took. Perez's act was more of a defensive stance by going on the offensive, IMO. Was it the brightest decision he could make? No. But how is he supposed to gage that at that point in time? Instincts kick in, right or wrong.

That being said, i believe the league was right in giving out a long suspension, because these guys are still not getting the point. But i find it ridiculous, that the player who took the first swing, connecting or not, only receives a handful of games.

Either way, both these players will go on with their careers, but Pro hockey is still going to suffer. In fact, this years acts of violence in the game will not go unsung. The repercussions of what has happend in NHL/AHL rinks this year will be huge, and it'll send shockwaves throughout NA hockey.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Has anyone heard a time-frame for Stafford of how long he'll be out for due to injury? A 6-game suspension is very little IMO but Perezhogin got what most of us expected him to receive.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Munchausen said:
Ridiculous. Perezhogin might be getting what he deserved, but Stafford sure isn't. He swung his stick in the exact manner Perezhogin did, except he missed and did not connect.

You obviously haven't seen the replays. "The exact manner"? BS. Stafford's swing at Perezhogin's head was much weaker and from a sitting position. The two incidents aren't even remotely comparable.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Pantokrator said:

Have you seen the replay? I don't see how anyone who's watched the incident could think the two are comparable. Stafford just didn't have anywhere near the force behind his attempt.

habster

Mar 11, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Sabes said:
Stafford recieved 6 games for his slash that didn't connect, so they have both been punished fairly.

So what you're saying is punish the result not the act? You can slash him on the head as long as you don't hurt him?

Duster

Feb 20, 2004
Enoch said:

No offense, but I can tell you have never played hockey in your life. If you have, it had to be non-contact.

Anyone who says that it's a game played without raw emotion and without spur of the moment actions is just plain wrong. It's a violent sport and stuff happens. You get an elbow in the face or a slash for that matter, you look for who did it. Anyone who has scrambled for a puck in the corners or who has stood in front of the net knows what I mean This is not to excuse Stafford or Perezhogin's actions however.

Perhaps you should watch croquet? The violence there is definitely pre-meditated. Easier on your stomach too... ;)

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Perezhogin's suspension is pretty much what I expected.

I'm surprised that the real thug, Stafford, was even punished. 6 games is a moral victory.

It could have a very positive impact if they actually apply this rule everytime someone swings to your head. We're talking about 6 games minimum if they miss.

I still doubt very much they will be applying this in less mediatized incidents but you can always hope.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Perezhogin definitely got the appropriate suspension. Ideally, Stafford should have gotten more, but I am pretty surprised he got suspended in the first place.

Duster

Feb 20, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
Perezhogin's suspension is pretty much what I expected.

I'm surprised that the real thug, Stafford, was even punished. 6 games is a moral victory.

It could have a very positive impact if they actually apply this rule everytime someone swings to your head. We're talking about 6 games minimum if they miss.

I still doubt very much they will be applying this in less mediatized incidents but you can always hope.

I agree Vlad. I'm not as optimistic as you however. It won't prevent marginal players going after elite players, on the contrary...

Perhaps I'm getting cynical in my old age...

canucks666

Mar 13, 2004
Vancouver
once again a player is punished for the injury caused not the intent.

perezhogin just got hit with a stick in teh back of the head, he expected the guy to be on his feet, so he turend around and slashed him SOMEWHERE - tried to hit him SOMEWHERE. If he was on his feet, it would've hit his legs.

instead he was on his knees and the stick hit him in the face.

stafford deserved that stick in the face - he hit another player with his stick in the back of the head.

and perezhogin didn't deserve a whole year. If he wasn't russian he would've got a lighter sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad