Perezhogin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy*

Psycho Joe said:
Do you have a point? Ever? :huh:

As soon as you have one, just PM me.
The point is this Joe. You seem to say its because your boy is Russian he got a severe suspension & he wouldnt have if he was an North American guy (I dunno,alot of you Hab guys feel its anti-hab thing). That seems to come out of your ass as it has no factual foundation.
Its really not that complicated a point.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Sammy said:
The point is this Joe. You seem to say its because your boy is Russian he got a severe suspension & he wouldnt have if he was an North American guy (I dunno,alot of you Hab guys feel its anti-hab thing). That seems to come out of your ass as it has no factual foundation.
Its really not that complicated a point.

Follow the thread. I was making the comment regarding a completely different issue. Whether somebody agrees or disagrees with me on the suspension issue is fine either way. It has to do with opinions and you have a right to have your own. There is alot of grey area in that matter.

My comments regarding the ass comment was with regard to said poster making a comment about me personally that he could not possibly know, unless he knows me personally (ie whether I have ever been in a fight or not), hence why I said what I said to him.

Sammy*

Psycho Joe said:
Follow the thread. I was making the comment regarding a completely different issue. Whether somebody agrees or disagrees with me on the suspension issue is fine either way. It has to do with opinions and you have a right to have your own. There is alot of grey area in that matter.

My comments regarding the ass comment was with regard to said poster making a comment about me personally that he could not possibly know, unless he knows me personally (ie whether I have ever been in a fight or not), hence why I said what I said to him.
Sorry bout that.I thought you were being rude to a person who simply had a difference of opinion.
Mea culpa.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Perezhogin has been cleared to play in any Euro league next year by the IIHF but not offical yet, its' on the tsn ticker according to another poster. The IIHF said before the council meeting he would most likely be allowed to play cause he has no history of anything like this in Russia.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
montreal said:
Perezhogin has been cleared to play in any Euro league next year by the IIHF but not offical yet, its' on the tsn ticker according to another poster. The IIHF said before the council meeting he would most likely be allowed to play cause he has no history of anything like this in Russia.

And this is why he should face legal actions. His idiocy affects his career zilch.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
ax²+bx+c said:
Oh yeah, but Stafford is gonna die tomorrow! Stafford's idiocy affects his career zlich.

I agree with this as well. Stafford got off light by virtue of missing Alex. Legally, he would likely face less of a charge anyways, though. Its a shame, but thats the way it goes.

Bruinster*

Enoch said:
I agree with this as well. Stafford got off light by virtue of missing Alex. Legally, he would likely face less of a charge anyways, though. Its a shame, but thats the way it goes.

Like i said in anothers thread, Do you really know if Stafford miss him or it was his intention of missing him and maybe just an act of intimidation ? IMO it's unclear !

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Bruinster said:
Like i said in anothers thread, Do you really know if Stafford miss him or it was his intention of missing him and maybe just an act of intimidation ? IMO it's unclear !

I've thought of this, and it is my opinion that he was swinging to hit. However, this is one of the reasons why he would face little legal action.......The simple fact is Stafford missed (intentionally or not), while Alex hit. Naturally the consequecnes for each individual are vastly different.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Just wanted to post this again....

Have you ever had a stick swung at your head? Even if it misses, you can't understand what its like unless you're in that situation.

My opinion of the matter is - Stafford swung first. At that point he gave up all his rights. If i'm involved in a confrontation with someone and they use a weapon as force against me, i don't care what the rules say, i'm protecting myself however i can do it at the time. In this scenario, Perez looked like he naturally reacted to swing Stafford took. Perez's act was more of a defensive stance by going on the offensive, IMO. Was it the brightest decision he could make? No. But how is he supposed to gage that at that point in time? Instincts kick in, right or wrong.

That being said, i believe the league was right in giving out a long suspension, because these guys are still not getting the point. But i find it ridiculous, that the player who took the first swing, connecting or not, only receives a handful of games.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Bluenote13 said:
Instincts kick in, right or wrong.

I agree with most of your post, save this. There is always a way to choose the right thing to do. Alex clearly did not, and it wasn't just a matter of instincts. Its natural to defend yourself. Its not necessarily natural to decide that to defend yourself you have to smash a guys face with your hockey stick, as he is getting off the ice. And if that IS his natural instinct.....then he doesn't need to be on the ice at all.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Enoch said:
I agree with most of your post, save this. There is always a way to choose the right thing to do. Alex clearly did not, and it wasn't just a matter of instincts. Its natural to defend yourself. Its not necessarily natural to decide that to defend yourself you have to smash a guys face with your hockey stick, as he is getting off the ice. And if that IS his natural instinct.....then he doesn't need to be on the ice at all.

Instictual behavior varies. Where i'm from, you protect yourself first from an attacker, you can't figure, well i may hurt this person. I'd be dead if i did that ten years ago when i was mugged by a guy holding a pen knife.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Bluenote13 said:
Have you ever had a stick swung at your head? Even if it misses, you can't understand what its like unless you're in that situation.

My opinion of the matter is - Stafford swung first. At that point he gave up all his rights. If i'm involved in a confrontation with someone and they use a weapon as force against me, i don't care what the rules say, i'm protecting myself however i can do it at the time. In this scenario, Perez looked like he naturally reacted to swing Stafford took. Perez's act was more of a defensive stance by going on the offensive, IMO. Was it the brightest decision he could make? No. But how is he supposed to gage that at that point in time? Instincts kick in, right or wrong.

That being said, i believe the league was right in giving out a long suspension, because these guys are still not getting the point. But i find it ridiculous, that the player who took the first swing, connecting or not, only receives a handful of games.

Legally self defense sounds like a legit argument. Then the league opens themself up to other legal issues and lawsuits. Does Perezhogin or Stafford sue a league because they haven't created a safe environment to work in, or at least as reasonable safe and assumed risk one takes in professional sport. I am no law expert, but from what I know Staffords role is huge in this despite what the AHL thinks. Legally Stafford seems just as bound as Perezhogin seeing as what he did would need to be considered assualt as well.

On a side note, what happened in McSorely's case where McSorely had ZERO defense. What will happen in Bertuzzi's case if anything?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Nash13 said:
Legally self defense sounds like a legit argument.

It would be very shaky.

There was provocation by the worthless thug, but Perezhogin could have skated away at that point in time. His life would not have been in danger in this hockey context. On the streets, there is little code and it's every man for himself but in hockey you will rarely get jumped by a pack and there are officials (even though most are intellectually challenged) to step up.

He WAS provoked however. And the hit was blind as well as not premeditated.

With good legal representation, there are guys who walk free for doing much worse.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
It would be very shaky.

There was provocation by the worthless thug, but Perezhogin could have skated away at that point in time. His life would not have been in danger in this hockey context. On the streets, there is little code and it's every man for himself but in hockey you will rarely get jumped by a pack and there are officials (even though most are intellectually challenged) to step up.

He WAS provoked however. And the hit was blind as well as not premeditated.

With good legal representation, there are guys who walk free for doing much worse.

I understand, but if what Perezhogin does is placed as outside the realm of hockey, then so is what Stafford does, and thus using a street analogy fits. The whole thing is, if hockey is not above law, then the hockey game is nothing more than just a setting like an alley or a street or bar. Here is another question, if two guys get in a fight, does assualt occur? Are both criminally charged because both hit, or does a court just throw it out because both lost their right under the circumstances.

Thats what is scary about law and sports. Now we are getting into very grey areas and where does it end. Is boxing now an illegal sport, how about Football. A baseball could be considered a weapon.

canucks666

Mar 13, 2004
Vancouver
MrKnowNothing said:
http://hfboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1694

It seems crystal clear from this picture that Perezhogin knew what he was doing.

come up to a wall. Stand about 2 feet away from it, with your back.

Then pretend you have to punch the wall as hard as you can or else you will die - so you have to turn around as quickly as possible and punch at the level of your arm, but then when you turn around you realize you have to punch elsewhere.

can you really change your motion and react in time? Well if you try it - you probably can but only because you know in advance that you'll have to.

In reality though you can't - it's a split second decision and you can't change anything by that point.

I'm 100% sure that perezhogin saw where his stick was gonna land before it actually did. But by the time he realized it he couldn't stop it in time or move it elsewhere. It was all that fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad