GDT: Perds @ Abes | 4pm MT | High Effort Emergency GDT

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Seems like Mikko is the most hated Av around here since Arnason
I dont even think people hated Arnason lol. I think everyone hated Marc-Andre Cliche, Nate Guenin, Greg Zanon.

I think everyone recognizes how talented Mikko is its just it really seems like he could care less out there alot of times. Its the lack of effort that really grind on people. When Mikko wants it there isnt anything anyone can do to stop him really and we dont see that enough. We see the want on a consistent basis from Nathan.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Someone brought up Matt Murray but Cam Ward also only had 28 career games before getting thrown into the playoffs with a series deficit and winning a Conn Smythe. Play Justus 6 of the last 9 and you’re looking at 20 career games vs 28 is not a whole lot of difference

Murray's a good example. Ward's an ok example, he had twice as many NHL games. Neither started the first two games of the playoffs though.

Carolina was perhaps the biggest fluke Cup win in the modern era too, and Murray showed that he himself was kind of a fluke. Both had much better numbers in the AHL as well.

Murray's more the exception to the rule IMO, and it's a mistake to build a game strategy based on an outlier.

Going with Justus may work out, but I just think it’s too risky given the lack of games and performance in the AHL. If you get behind in a series you can lose to anyone, and the Avs are Cup favorites built to go on a deep run.

I think the optimal approach is to try to get George into a rhythm and playing his best. Then start him in the playoffs, but be ready to start Justus after 1 or 2 games.

I don’t think Roy and Dryden are comparable.

Roy’s 48 games is almost a season's wroth for a starter, and 3x as many as Justus, which made him more proven.

Dryden was a 3 time All Star in the NCAA and an ECAC Player of the Year.

Also just a different era.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I dont even think people hated Arnason lol. I think everyone hated Marc-Andre Cliche, Nate Guenin, Greg Zanon.

I think everyone recognizes how talented Mikko is its just it really seems like he could care less out there alot of times. Its the lack of effort that really grind on people. When Mikko wants it there isnt anything anyone can do to stop him really and we dont see that enough. We see the want on a consistent basis from Nathan.
I really don’t care if there are few games where Mikko looks lazy or whatever. He’s gonna get you 40 to 50 goals and 100+ points every year and no way in hell you trade a player like that as long as you’re in contention window

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Agreed. The only reason Rantanen gets so much shit is because I think we all know he can do so much better, and it just seems like he doesn't care to a lot of the time. Thankfully, those times have never come in the playoffs, but it's still been frustratingly common this year.

What I really can't stand is when some folks around here insist that a player of Rantanen's talent can't/shouldn't be criticized at all ever.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Teams also just haven’t scouted Annunen much, and players haven’t watched much if any tape on him, to learn his tendencies and weaknesses.

That would definitely change if he became the starter in the playoffs.

That and the fact he’s mostly faced backup level competition, makes it a fairly big leap of faith that his level of play will continue, when the margin for error is at its smallest in the playoffs.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Teams also just haven’t scouted Annunen much, and players haven’t watched much if any tape on him, to learn his tendencies and weaknesses.

That would definitely change if he became the starter in the playoffs.

That and the fact he’s mostly faced backup level competition, makes it a fairly big leap of faith that his level of play will continue, when the margin for error is at its smallest in the playoffs.
You can't convince me every single one of Girard's turnovers aren't him going back for pucks, getting there, then faintly swiping at it to avoid any contact and giving it up to the forechecker.

Walker is going to take his minutes in the playoffs. I am certain of it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The numbers don't match the eye test.

He had a ridiculous stretch IIRC in November where he carried the Avs each night. Otherwise he's been fairly pedestrian. He turns the puck over like crazy, he is getting beat defensively more than usual, his skating doesn't seem as elusive as years past, and he isn't dominating games the way we have seen him.

The turnovers are the most pressing issue for me. He is making very poor reads almost nightly.

He isn't a scrub obviously but the criticism of his play IMO is warranted because he is playing nowhere near his expected level.

Yeah, turnovers have been a problem all year for Cale. Girard is really the one that has struggled though.

Not necessarily a big quantity for Cale, but they seem to happen when he’s trying to do much individually when he’s all alone, so they result in dangerous chances against.

It's telling that Byram's biggest issue early on this season was turnovers, but the others have actually been worse.

5v5 Giveaways Per 60 w/Avs

Girard - 2.01
Malinksi - 1.95
Manson - 1.91
Jones - 1.60
Toews - 1.45
Makar - 1.39
Byram - 1.38
Johnson - 0.98

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You can't convince me every single one of Girard's turnovers aren't him going back for pucks, getting there, then faintly swiping at it to avoid any contact and giving it up to the forechecker.

Walker is going to take his minutes in the playoffs. I am certain of it.

FYI I moved the post you're responding to, to the post above this, but you're absolutely right.

I just had this conversation with @expatriatedtexan about how this exact thing will be a test for Girard in the playoffs, because teams will target him by dumping the puck into his corner, and then send a heavy forecheck at him, sometimes with multiple guys, knowing he struggled with it against Vegas, and knowing his body may not be able to take the punishment.

This is how he broke his sternum too. They timed a slow dump in so that he would get to the puck behind the net right when Barbashev could line him up for a big hit.

They'll have to go through some physical teams like the Preds, Canucks, and Knights, who were just 2nd, 5th, and 9th in the NHL in hits/60 the other day, and they can all skate with the Avs to an extent.

He'll have to really be on his game, reacting and turning quickly to retrieve dump ins, keeping his feet moving, and making good passes under pressure.

The way G handled the heavy forecheck of Nashville early on in this game though shows reason for concern, because he did exactly what you said a few times, turning the puck over after seeing/hearing footsteps, and it resulted in some dangerous chances against.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Agreed. The only reason Rantanen gets so much shit is because I think we all know he can do so much better, and it just seems like he doesn't care to a lot of the time. Thankfully, those times have never come in the playoffs, but it's still been frustratingly common this year.

What I really can't stand is when some folks around here insist that a player of Rantanen's talent can't/shouldn't be criticized at all ever.
Doesn't really matter, this place isn't exactly on the favorites list of anyone getting a check from the Avs. I'm sure Mikko gets criticism from people he actually hears and takes it seriously as we seemed to see earlier. I don't blame him or any of the guys for going 80% at times. Regular season is not important to the team or fanbase so why extend yourself?

Reactions: SB

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I really don’t care if there are few games where Mikko looks lazy or whatever. He’s gonna get you 40 to 50 goals and 100+ points every year and no way in hell you trade a player like that as long as you’re in contention window
Its not a few games where he looks lazy though lol its been almost all season. Hes just insanely talented that he can go 60% and still walk away with 3 points. It is what it is. Also, who wants to trade him? not me.

Reactions: the_fan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Its not a few games where he looks lazy though lol its been almost all season. Hes just insanely talented that he can go 60% and still walk away with 3 points. It is what it is. Also, who wants to trade him? not me.
That was the RyJo effect

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No, we hated him.
Speak for yourself. I didn't have access to watching Avalanche games when I was a kid except for when they played Edmonton, Calgary, and the occasional Saturday night game against Toronto or Montreal.

I thought Tyler Arnason was a f***ing legend as a kid because he would rip up the Oilers like he was Gretzky's direct descendant.

It wasn't until several years later I realized who the guy really was outside of Oilers games.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
"Since the player who was struck in the head was wearing an Avalanche uniform we have decided there is no need for a further review or disciplinary action."

~ DOPS
Pretty much this. I honestly can't remember the last time a Avs player took a cheap shot and league actually suspended someone. While conversely they seem to have no problem suspending our guys.

All you need to know about DOPS is they suspended Cale in the playoffs on an unfortunate play where he didn't hear the whistle, doesn't excuse it but the hit itself simply wasn't that bad. Probably more fine worthy than anything. And Eberle broke Cogs neck on a disgusting hit and got nothing.

DOPS is a complete joke.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I never hated Arnason. He was lazy but he always killed the Oilers. I can never hate someone who does that.
I can never respect or like a guy who has that much talent and chooses to coast through his entire career (and before anyone makes a snarky follow-up, no, Mikko is not the same). I did appreciate him killing the Oilers though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad