Percentage of goals top scorers have been in on

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I meant all the otherwise ****** posters will pile on given a safe opinion to share

tbc I don't consider this analysis useful but I'm not gonna circle jerk about it because, you know, everyone has poor analysis on this site somewhere

Fair point. But most of those people won't argue back so aggressively without any acknowledgment of the legitimate questions asked about the quality of the post/analysis being made. Of course as a repeat offender there is more of a backlash than pure politeness requires.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Fair point. But most of those people won't argue back so aggressively without any acknowledgment of the legitimate questions asked about the quality of the post/analysis being made. Of course as a repeat offender there is more of a backlash than pure politeness requires.

Still haven't added anything. Any post now...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Still haven't added anything. Any post now...

From the beginning, there hasn't been much to add to this thread, it was quickly pointed out how flawed the logic/correlation is in the OP

Since then it's been a mixed bag of attempting to get you to see the ridiculousness and commentary on the general ridiculousness... Too which I think everyone has contributed

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
From the beginning, there hasn't been much to add to this thread, it was quickly pointed out how flawed the logic/correlation is in the OP

Since then it's been a mixed bag of attempting to get you to see the ridiculousness and commentary on the general ridiculousness... Too which I think everyone has contributed

this is the irritating thing that you continue to harp on. There was no logic/correlation in the OP. It was a stat that I found to be interesting and that I thought, perhaps, some other people might find it to be interesting as well. Of course a top scorer is going to have a higher percentage of points. Of course a high scoring player on a low scoring team is going to have an advantage. It might be fun to see how they stack up. But pretending that the percentage of points a player scores on one's own team doesn't have value the true ridiculousness here.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
and this is where it gets weird. Somehow, saying that a player being in on a really high percentage of his team goals shows that he is playing pretty well, is wrong? Only here. Only here.

Except the fact is, he's not playing pretty well. The stat that you put in the OP shows he is the best of the overall worst in the NHL.

The putrid offense of the Buffalo Sabres is being led by 29 point Tyler Ennis.

The stats you posted make it appear he is a catalyst; but only because the team as a whole can't score.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I think the stat would become more illuminating if compared with past years to see other poor scoring teams and their top scorers

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
this is the irritating thing that you continue to harp on. There was no logic/correlation in the OP. It was a stat that I found to be interesting and that I thought, perhaps, some other people might find it to be interesting as well. Of course a top scorer is going to have a higher percentage of points. Of course a high scoring player on a low scoring team is going to have an advantage. It might be fun to see how they stack up. But pretending that the percentage of points a player scores on one's own team doesn't have value the true ridiculousness here.

All of your "of course" statements are things you were wildly unaware of when you started this thread

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
But pretending that the percentage of points a player scores on one's own team doesn't have value the true ridiculousness here.

That's the best part, IT DOES'NT! The person with the most points on any team will have that highest %. It's common math. You can't compare it to other teams or players unless they have the same exact goals for.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
That's the best part, IT DOES'NT! The person with the most points on any team will have that highest %. It's common math. You can't compare it to other teams or players unless they have the same exact goals for.

No crap. But it gives you context on how they perform compared to their own teammates, so IT DOES! there are no words...

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Even doing that though, I doubt any recent teams come close to the epic-bad suckage that our offense currently is.

Well, our team last season.

No crap. But it gives you context on how they perform compared to their own teammates, so IT DOES! there are no words...

Not necessarily. For example, take Stafford. As I said, if Stafford played the same minutes as Ennis--say nothing for playing with better teammates--they'd have the same point totals if you apply their ES and PP pts/60. Another problem with this stat is that undervalues guys who are injured. The guy with 51 pts in 60 games had a better season than Ennis scoring 45 in 82, but since the first guy didn't contribute to any team goals for 22 games, Ennis will appear more valuable to his team.

Take Hodgson last year who was in on 44 goals in his 72 games. The team scored 150. That's .293 for Hodgson. But if you account for him being in on 44 of the 132 they scored when he played, that's .333--which is a fairer accounting.

I must have missed the threads where you were "admiring" Hodgson's offensive game last year, Stokesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad