Salary Cap: Per Friedman, Salary Cap Could Go Up to $92M in 2025-26 (Edit: Maybe 86M this summer)

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
It depends on the players, but we're talking 8 year contracts, I can't see the team itself taking that risk.

Aho is up this year, do you think Carolina will find it acceptable that he wants a 1-2 year deal? I'd wager they'd just say f*** it, fine let's go with 8 years and we'll throw in a bit more because of the rising cap.

The point is they can't, there is no cap space, good players are currently signing way below value.

Nazem Kadri just signed 7 million after putting up almost 100 points, Johnny Gaudreau signed for under 10 million. Matthew Tkachuk signed for under 10 as well (I know Florida taxes) but he could have gotten more.

None of these guys held out for the extra 2-3 million because it wasn't there they accepted their 50-100 million dollars because risking 75% of the contract over getting injured wasn't worth and extra couple points.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The point is they can't, there is no cap space, good players are currently signing way below value.

Nazem Kadri just signed 7 million after putting up almost 100 points, Johnny Gaudreau signed for under 10 million. Matthew Tkachuk signed for under 10 as well (I know Florida taxes) but he could have gotten more.

None of these guys held out for the extra 2-3 million because it wasn't there they accepted their 50-100 million dollars because risking 75% of the contract over getting injured wasn't worth and extra couple points.

This was a bad couple of years because of covid, things open up for most teams next year.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Because he will be discounted anyway, it also guarantees he is ours. If New York comes a calling he could get tempted.

Basically the assets are a guarantee
I say let New York have him then. It’s free or nothing for me. He said he wanted to be here let’s see if he’s serious. We don’t need him right now we’re trying to tank.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wasn't the cap kept down for couple years after the Bubble to help off set losses due to covid? Once that passes, it would jump dramatically

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Wasn't the cap kept down for couple years after the Bubble to help off set losses due to covid? Once that passes, it would jump dramatically

It was kept lower so the players would be able to pay off their escrow debt quicker. It looks like that will happen sooner than expected allowing the cap to start going up again.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Friedman was on Sportsnet tonight said the covid money the players owed the club's might be paid off by end of this season. If it is cap could jump 4 million then 3.5 million next year. He said it is going to be close

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Makes sense due to the extremely high inflation right now, which will be continuing indefinitely.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
so you rather see a similar situation like in the NBA where 3 players make above 30 mil a year and the rest eat crops, even when said 30 mil player gets injured the 2 mil player is asked to take his place and perform for the club? That does not sound very fair.
NBA starters are few. They earn way more than benchwarmers. You can’t compare. In hockey, more than 20 players take regular shifts each game. All of which are the best players in the world. So money is distributed differently.

And besides, I go to the BC to see Cole freaking Caufield, not Alex ‘The Legend’ Belzile.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I was hoping it would only go up 1 million next year. We might be able to make another Monahan type trade. Montreal has a ton of money coming off the books next summer and many teams are hard up against the cap. Calgary only made that deal to get caproom to sign Kadri. After making the mega trade with Florida they needed a marquee center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad