Salary Cap: Per Friedman, Salary Cap Could Go Up to $92M in 2025-26 (Edit: Maybe 86M this summer)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

1664375542389.png

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Good thing we locked in our best player at a deal that will be 6-7% of the cap by the time it's in its third year. Still can't justify Gally at 6.5 though. Now is the best time to lock Cole into an 8 year deal.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
They should spread some of that cap floor into the AHL and ECHL. Boost their minimum salaries, Minimum salary for a ECHLer should be 150k, AHLer 500k, why are the NHL players getting all of the moolas, make those guys feel like they're achieving something ffs.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
They should spread some of that cap floor into the AHL and ECHL. Boost their minimum salaries, Minimum salary for a ECHLer should be 150k, AHLer 500k, why are the NHL players getting all of the moolas, make those guys feel like they're achieving something ffs.
There are doing it, that's why we see some AHL player with 1 way contrat

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

not enough the ahl and echl are pro leagues, they deserve to be paid like pros

The AHL and ECHL are their own leagues, the NHL doesn't decide the salaries (apart from NHL contracted players).

The players salary are related to their league revenue. If you want them to be paid more like in Europe, they should ask for billboard jerseys like in Europe.

Reactions: dinodebino

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

So, basically, in the last year of Price's contract, Montreal will almost have an extra Price cap hit available! (9.5M more than this year VS the 10.5M annual cap^hit for Price).

Possibilities:

1) Sounds like Allen will cash in big time with his contract extension
2) Caufield will become the new team benchmark when he gets more than Suzuki
3) There will be plenty of money to snatch Dubois away from WIN in two years.
4) Gallagher's contract will quickly look like a deal when 4th line players start getting 7M per annum

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
4) Gallagher's contract will quickly look like a deal when 4th line players start getting 7M per annum
It's likelier that top players will get paid more and 4th liners continue to get paid only as much as it costs to replace them, c. 1.5m.

The cap will rise but I kinda wish it was a more smooth jump than 1m-4m-4m, would rather 3m-3m-3m imo.

Reactions: DAChampion

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Interestingly enough, it might mean that this was the last year to get 1st round pick for cap dumps.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
That could work really well for us, we'll have Suzuki and Caufield under contract for 5+ years at that point.

I really want to get PLD now and sign him to am 8 year deal if possible. Would create value contracts even though they'd be fair market today
Why give up the assets? That would be nuts IMO. With patience he will be ours for free.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Because NHL players are the ones bringing in the revenue?

I also don't think the NHL should involve itself with the AHL/ECHL pay structure, and I don't think either of those leagues would want them to be so involved either unless they're getting a cut.

That could work really well for us, we'll have Suzuki and Caufield under contract for 5+ years at that point.

I really want to get PLD now and sign him to am 8 year deal if possible. Would create value contracts even though they'd be fair market today

Don't you (and a bunch of others) think agents are smart enough to think literally the opposite of what you're thinking? Like this is their job but you think you can outsmart what they've been doing for a living.

They'll consider the rising cap in long term deals.

Reactions: zeeto

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
No they're not? Its the NHL and the marketing around it that brings in the Revenue.

Im saying instead of inflating the salaries of the current players, they should share it amongst the other players in the minors because those guys are also pros.

2-way contracts make no sense... why is a player worth 800k in the NHL but the same exact player is worth 100k in the AHL? The NHL level is not 5-10x better.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
The AHL and ECHL are their own leagues, the NHL doesn't decide the salaries (apart from NHL contracted players).

The players salary are related to their league revenue. If you want them to be paid more like in Europe, they should ask for billboard jerseys like in Europe.
so you rather see a similar situation like in the NBA where 3 players make above 30 mil a year and the rest eat crops, even when said 30 mil player gets injured the 2 mil player is asked to take his place and perform for the club? That does not sound very fair.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
No they're not? Its the NHL and the marketing around it that brings in the Revenue.

Im saying instead of inflating the salaries of the current players, they should share it amongst the other players in the minors because those guys are also pros.

2-way contracts make no sense... why is a player worth 800k in the NHL but the same exact player is worth 100k in the AHL? The NHL level is not 5-10x better.

We've done this song and dance so many times, the NHL (like any sport) is a well-oiled machine...if you can't understand why players bring in revenue (attract fans, sell jerseys, help the team succeed and sell out) etc. then I don't know what to say.

Well what's the current relationship of the NHL and the AHL/ECHL, and how much say does the NHL have on their salary structure? I genuinely don't know, so you'll have to educate me.

The skill between an NHLer and an AHLer is absolutely night and day, it's hard to quantify if it's 5-10x better. I think there was a coefficient chart somewhere a while back but again, a lot of criticism on the methodology.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
so you rather see a similar situation like in the NBA where 3 players make above 30 mil a year and the rest eat crops, even when said 30 mil player gets injured the 2 mil player is asked to take his place and perform for the club? That does not sound very fair.

The NHL and NBA have vastly different contract structures, the max salary in the NHL is less than half of the NBA lol.

The NHL is also a team game where every player takes shifts...in the NHL it makes sense to pay your guy that plays 75%+ of the game the most

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

I also don't think the NHL should involve itself with the AHL/ECHL pay structure, and I don't think either of those leagues would want them to be so involved either unless they're getting a cut.

Don't you (and a bunch of others) think agents are smart enough to think literally the opposite of what you're thinking? Like this is their job but you think you can outsmart what they've been doing for a living.

They'll consider the rising cap in long term deals.

They can't really though, they will be forced to either take short term deals (risky) or accept that they may be on a value contract.

They'd basically be gambling over what would be 500k a year. So 2 million over 8 years.

Players tend not to do that.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
They can't really though, they will be forced to either take short term deals (risky) or accept that they may be on a value contract.

They'd basically be gambling over what would be 500k a year. So 2 million over 8 years.

Players tend not to do that.

It depends on the players, but we're talking 8 year contracts, I can't see the team itself taking that risk.

Aho is up this year, do you think Carolina will find it acceptable that he wants a 1-2 year deal? I'd wager they'd just say f*** it, fine let's go with 8 years and we'll throw in a bit more because of the rising cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad