Pepsi Center Jumbotron

Offdapost*

Just saw photos of the new ice for Pepsi Center and it looks like they have not replaced that horribly outdated Jumbotron, any speculation if there will be a new scoreboard for next year?

Mouse21*

hm.. i wonder if dater will complain about this in every blog all year again. sigh.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
They did replace the shot count scoreboards in the corners with bigger LED panels. They also replaced all the glass with plexi + partitions so they did invest. I suspect next year after the NBA lockout, the Pepsi Center might have a new jumbo-tron. I imagine those are custom ordered and not a simple nor inexpensive project.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Pretty sad..

The Bell Centre has the best HD screen I've ever seen. It just adds so freakin much.

I'm really starting to lose a lot of respect for Kroenke. The overall fan experience at the Pepsi Center has really gone downhill for the past 5-6 years in multiple facets. Pretty much everything's outdated in the place and the exact same as it was 10 years ago.

The Kult

Dec 15, 2008
Colorado
I must be the only one who doesnt give a **** about the jumbotron. I only look at it for the time everything else doesnt matter to me.
If they change it, great. If not it doesnt bother me.

Plus Im sure to pay for it ticket prices will go up, and they're high enough as it is

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I must be the only one who doesnt give a **** about the jumbotron. I only look at it for the time everything else doesnt matter to me.

Plus Im sure to pay for it ticket prices will go up, and they're high enough as it is
I'm with you, it doesn't bother me at all. Would HD screens be nice...sure. But does it ruin the experience of going to a game without them...NOPE.

So what if it's the same as it was 10 years ago. All they ever did at Old Mile High Stadium was add more seats and luxury boxes and install ONE jumbotron when they built the South Stands...and it blows the water out of SA Field @ Mile High.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Anyone else at the arena last night notice they replaced the 4 video boards in the upper level corners. They look pretty snazzy all digital and high def.

Sure is cheap of ownership :rolleyes:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Anyone else at the arena last night notice they replaced the 4 video boards in the upper level corners. They look pretty snazzy all digital and high def.

Sure is cheap of ownership :rolleyes:

I saw them, but I thought they were a waste of money. They're basically a live feed of the game - which begged the question out of me.....Why on EARTH if there was live action going on...would you want to stare at a top corner of an arena to watch the game?

Also I'm kind of unhappy they put all of those screens to the live game feed instead of keeping two of them with the stats tracker that used to be on those screens. They moved the shots to the scoreboard on the sides, but I couldn't find anywhere in the stadium now where they had the # of hits and faceoffs won any where.

I really would take back the old screens if I could. Waste of money. Who puts HD screens in the top corners of an arena? Spend the $$$ on the main board and make it big enough for all three levels to see.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
I don't understand why Kroenke wouldn't put money in the Avs/Pepsi Center. His wife owns a good piece of Wallmart and he was close to a billionaire before then.

Mouse21*

St. Pete's has huge ****ing Tesla coils going after every goal, but we dont even get an HD screen lol.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
yeah when i was there for the detroit game it looked really out of place, the arena was pretty nice, in comparison to the saddledome, which had a very similar in spec jumbotron, but the rest of the arena is not up to par with the pepsi center

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
The jumbotron, plus other arena features, matters because there ARE some people that come for the event/fun/atmosphere versus the game, which I imagine most fans that post here care about.

The fact is that a good chunk of a teams individual game gate draw is from the casual fan. The causal fan expects a nice place to go to and a high quality experience outside of the game. This is even more important when the team is struggling. Making the experience at the rink interesting in all aspects will draw more people to the rink.

Now, I am not saying that it should be a 3 ring circus to entertain people, but there is an element of spectical and visual/audio standard that needs to be put out to keep the experience fresh and professional. I am also not saying the Can is a pile of garbage, but it could use some upgrading.

The Avs have not needed to really work hard at these things during the strong years, as a great team plus a strong economy does not make a club have to work hard. In bad years for the team and the local economy, the club needs to work harder at entertaining people outside of the on ice product. They slowly have been getting better at it with some of the PR stuff and media work, but investing in some in-arena upgrades would help and is a logical investment at this point. The 10-15 year mark is also when most sports venues start to need some upgrades as technology progresses and the place is worn in.

Additionally, from what I have read and seen personally, the Avs gametime presenation could use an upgrade as well. They could use a fresh approach to music played during the game, video presenation for the events, and overall how the club presents media features.

Again, these things may not matter to a hard core fan directly, but indirectly, they are and will continue to effect the casual fans dollar, which will directly effect how much the team spends on salary, which impacts how the hard core fan feels. A modest investment now could pay off down the road.

Last edited:

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
They did replace the shot count scoreboards in the corners with bigger LED panels. They also replaced all the glass with plexi + partitions so they did invest. I suspect next year after the NBA lockout, the Pepsi Center might have a new jumbo-tron. I imagine those are custom ordered and not a simple nor inexpensive project.

I think that the replacement of the glass was mandatory.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think that the replacement of the glass was mandatory.

Yes it was.

For the whole 'cheapest owner in sports' minding, I'll start to panic IF AND WHEN they don't start spending money on player contracts + Jumbotrons after the NBA collective bargaining issue + upcoming potential NHL collective bargaining issues are settled. After the Avs re-up their core, they should have a good idea where the CAP floor and ceiling are going to be and can make decisions at that time.

In theory, if there's another sort of 'roll-back' (in exchange for even younger unrestricted free-agency or something like that) the Avs could be in a very favorable position with some free agent that would need to be cut from those teams that are at the current limit. (Like when we had Foote and Forsberg to re-sign but had to get under a $39M CAP)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Will be interesting to see how the NBA CBA goes. If the NBA goes to a hard cap and really does get the 50/50 split it's asking for from players, you could see one of Kroenke's "other" teams get an influx of cash. Who knows if that would be the Avs, Rams, or his soccer team.

For all my complaining in this thread though, I have to admit - I do think the in-game entertainment has gotten a little better. They've finally quit playing the same music over and over and the pre-game stuff was pretty cool at least on opening night. I just think those new HD screens are so out of line of sight with the gameplay that they're not even worth it.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think it's been rumored for a little bit. You tricked me though with the old thread bump. I thought it actually wasn't happening this year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/06/11/avalanche-to-have-ice-girls-at-games-now/13808/

Haven't heard this yet. This thread is actually the first thing that pops up in a google search to see if there's anything else on it.

From early January.....

Talked with a good friend last night who works for Kroenke and they confirmed to me that we will finally have a new HD Jumbotron for the 2013-2014 season. I was told that they are working on the exact dimensions right now. If current plans go through, it should be the largest arena Jumbotron in the league next season.

In other arena news, they are in the process of replacing all of the seats in the lower bowl as well.

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2013/1/5/3840148/new-jumbotron-at-pepsi-center-for-2013-14-season

Dater confirmed both things (new jumbotron and seats) shortly after that.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

Mant*

Seriously. When I go to the game... I don't go there to watch the god damned noisy box.

HOLY ANCIENT THREAD, BATMAN!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad