GDT: PENULTIMATE REGULAR SEASON GAME: Aves/Jehts, Decidedly Un-Epic GDT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Let's get this thread back on track. I need help with some etymology...Why do we use Latin to call the second to last game Penultimate, but we don't actually call the final game the Ultimate game?

As a native English speaker, even I think our language is weird at times.

And here I am to derail it again.

I've got an English degree and yes, it's a completely f***ed-up language. Lucky for us Great Britain and the United States have shoved it down the throat of the rest of the world for the last few centuries. I've been studying other languages and I'm so jealous how they have everything flow together so nicely.

It's a clumsy amalgamation of so many other languages (German, French, Old Norse, Latin) that the "rules" just overlap and sometimes contradict one another. It doesn't help that English, unlike other major languages around the world, does not have a central ruling authority. The closest thing to it is the Oxford Dictionary, and they're way, way too lenient on what let in. I want to punch whoever decided "irregardless" was okay to use now.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
What do you mean a noun, the frisbee game?
Screenshot_20230413_130229_Chrome.jpg

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
And here I am to derail it again.

I've got an English degree and yes, it's a completely f***ed-up language. Lucky for us Great Britain and the United States have shoved it down the throat of the rest of the world for the last few centuries. I've been studying other languages and I'm so jealous how they have everything flow together so nicely.

It's a clumsy amalgamation of so many other languages (German, French, Old Norse, Latin) that the "rules" just overlap and sometimes contradict one another. It doesn't help that English, unlike other major languages around the world, does not have a central ruling authority. The closest thing to it is the Oxford Dictionary, and they're way, way too lenient on what let in. I want to punch whoever decided "irregardless" was okay to use now.
Double negatives are fun!

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Let's get this thread back on track. I need help with some etymology...Why do we use Latin to call the second to last game Penultimate, but we don't actually call the final game the Ultimate game?

As a native English speaker, even I think our language is weird at times.
At least it's consistent with their numbering (eg 9 is 1 before 10 or IX).

Last edited:
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Hmm. That's interesting. Because you absolutely can, since that's what it means. It is of course used to mean the extreme, or even sometimes the last or greatest possible in a series which is technically the same... but very rarely like that.

Another very important thing to note is that there's also technically the antepenultimate, preantepenultimate, and propreantepenultimate.
That last one sounds like something that I would have to wait until I get home from work to look up. *LMAO*

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That last one sounds like something that I would have to wait until I get home from work to look up. *LMAO*
Yeah, I say technically, because that one's just before-before-before-almost-last. So it's definitely bullshit to stack those.

Anyway, was there a game? Or no?

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
The jets resting half their team so the can win 1 game in the playoffs lol

Hanswurst

Oct 26, 2019
I‘m afraid to take a sneaky Look in the Stars board. Have they find out the Jet‘s lineup already? And how Big is the Rage and the hate towards wpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad