Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
GDT.jpg

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Let's get this thread back on track. I need help with some etymology...Why do we use Latin to call the second to last game Penultimate, but we don't actually call the final game the Ultimate game?

As a native English speaker, even I think our language is weird at times.

Reactions: Snow Arc

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Let's get this thread back on track. I need help with some etymology...Why do we use Latin to call the second to last game Penultimate, but we don't actually call the final game the Ultimate game?

Hmm. That's interesting. Because you absolutely can, since that's what it means. It is of course used to mean the extreme, or even sometimes the last or greatest possible in a series which is technically the same... but very rarely like that.

Another very important thing to note is that there's also technically the antepenultimate, preantepenultimate, and propreantepenultimate.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

When people see "Ultimate" they rarely think of it as and adjective and only see it as a noun. And no one would describe tomorrow's game as the "best".

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad