Post-Game Talk: Penticton Young Stars Tournament

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Well, if Edmonton signs him, I'll be happy either way.

Oh, absolutely.

I think the Oilers want to see how he looks playing with and against NHL-calibre players first though, before sending him any paperwork.

And of course, he'd need to be willing to sign it. It's not outside the realm of possibility that if he comes into camp and impresses, maybe he decides to sign only for 2nd or even 1st round money, and if the Oilers balk he goes back to junior and waits for next year's draft.

I wouldn't think it's very likely, but it's not like the Oilers haven't lost a potential prospect before because they couldn't agree on the dollars (Matthew Lombardi for example).

oilers92

Jan 26, 2010
Edmonton
I agree. I kept looking for him during the games and it was hard to spot him because he wasn't getting the puck, which was weird.

In the game VS the Jets Nurse was doing everything short of playing at forward in attempt to stand out. Well, he wasn't rushing that crazily, but I could see his intentions almost every single shift. He was ringing bells, begging Lowery to drop the gloves, smashed some guy in the back of the head in the front of the net (how the hell was that not a penalty? That really reminded me of Pronger) and was taking some really good, accurate shots on net.

I wonder if he's grown a bit, because I heard that he'd put on weight, but he looks just as thin as ever IMO.

It's a downright shame that we don't have the option of sending Nurse down to the AHL this year.

if i recall correctly olsen took a late jab at the goalies glove and nurse then dealt with it, if nurse goes then olsen should have as well

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Tuohiimaa made a few good stops and was solid in OT, but I thought he had a couple of questionable goals, and looked like he barely moved in the shootout.

Comrie outplayed him by far, and I think that was the difference in the game.

Re Ehlers, I remember Pronman saying he's the real deal, could make an argument to take him in the top 3 I believe.

Re Moroz and Khaira - not quite as high on these 2 as everyone else - I think they showed well, but I'm not convinced Moroz has the skill to make it on anything except maybe 4th line. Khaira is a solid player for sure, but don't see top-end skill there. I think he'll definitely play in the NHL, but maybe not as a regular contributor.

Re Nurse - I just don't see him as being as ready as Marincin or Klefbom - though he really does seem to have the full package, and I love his attitude. Would love to send him to the AHL obviously, but I think I'd tell him one more year with the Greyhounds.

Draisaitl - as much as I was blown away by his mini-Thornton performance yesterday, I wouldn't be upset if we sent him to Europe for a season. I don't think he needs to go back to Prince Albert. Unless he really shines in late preseason, against closer-to-regular NHL rosters, I think he shouldn't be on the team.

Ehlers - Jets fan buddy of mine is so in love with the guy. Some Jets fans are drinking so much cool-ade they they think he could end up playing 1st line minutes in the NHL.

Nurse - Moves the puck alright, takes some decent shots from the point, looks comfortable rushing the puck and lays tons of smack down.

LD - I'd be soo happy if they could send him to the SEL for a year. Incredibly excited.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Oh, absolutely.

I think the Oilers want to see how he looks playing with and against NHL-calibre players first though, before sending him any paperwork.

And of course, he'd need to be willing to sign it. It's not outside the realm of possibility that if he comes into camp and impresses, maybe he decides to sign only for 2nd or even 1st round money, and if the Oilers balk he goes back to junior and waits for next year's draft.

I wouldn't think it's very likely, but it's not like the Oilers haven't lost a potential prospect before because they couldn't agree on the dollars (Matthew Lombardi for example).

That makes sense to me. I'd toss 1st round money at him if he continues to impress, but I wouldn't load him up with bonuses.

oilz89*

Man does Ellers ever have one helluva shot. He's lacking in size, but I'm pretty sure that it'll be impossible to keep him out of the NHL this year.

Nurse was so damn scary on the 3rd game. I think we do at least have a Pronger light on our hands.

LD looked so much better on that 3rd game. After watching the first game I was kinda worried about his performance in the first game before finding out that he wasn't feeling well after working out excessively in the gym. He was a totally different player in that third game.

We had a bunch of kids there that looked ready to bang bodies with adults, which tells me that Pitlick is going to have to have one helluva season to hold onto a job.

Musil wasn't overly impressive. Gernat's positional play has improved from playing a season in the AHL, but he didn't look like a super star playing against all these youngsters.

Can't wait to see what Yak2 does in the AHL this year and I really hope that Tkachev is playing next to him. Chase looked good with them as well. He looked A-OK for a 7th rounder.

Kessy was exactly what his hockeysfuture scouting report suggests. Gets in people's grill, smacks people around and tries to bait people into fights.

Overall, it's really scary how quickly these kids are coming along. I wouldn't be surprised if the Barrons one it all two seasons from now.

We know Ehlers is going to be a great player but we already have a player in him called Taylor Hall, who's already become a star. We wouldn't really need him. We need what the jets already have, namely centres like Mark Scheifele aka Leon Draisaitl to us

Last edited by a moderator:

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I thought that Ehlers looked fantastic. Jets will be glad to have him. It's not like Oilers fans haven't hyped up any of their own prospects before; let other fans have their fun too.

Impressed by Tkachev (hope he's signed), Draisatl, and even a bit by Kessy (he proved he wasn't a total waste).

oilz89*

I also hope Jujhar gets at least a call up this year. He's a friend of mine and I'm so glad he got drafted by us

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton
I liked a lot of the same players mentioned by most, but my favorite by far was Tkachev. Every time he had the puck i was on the edge of my seat.

One thing i love is that despite his size he is fearless. Quite a few times he just charged into a group of 2-3 opposing players with the puck, and most times still created something positive out of it. This is almost what we see a bit too much out of Yakupov at the NHL level, but i think Tkachev might have better skills to do it.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I liked a lot of the same players mentioned by most, but my favorite by far was Tkachev. Every time he had the puck i was on the edge of my seat.

One thing i love is that despite his size he is fearless. Quite a few times he just charged into a group of 2-3 opposing players with the puck, and most times still created something positive out of it. This is almost what we see a bit too much out of Yakupov at the NHL level, but i think Tkachev might have better skills to do it.

i said the same thing in the other thread, Tkachev played his game no matter what else was going on, that Calgary game turned dirty with guys headhunting out there and he didnt shy away from anything. kept playing his game. It shows where his confidence level is at and its a trait that is hard to teach. may have a complete steal with this kid.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
We know Ehlers is going to be a great player but we already have a player in him called Taylor Hall, who's already become a star. We wouldn't really need him. We need what the jets already have, namely centres like Mark Scheifele aka Leon Draisaitl to us

I see Ehlers as a more skilled Eberle-type player. His style matches his much more than Hall. Kid's going to be great for them

Eirhead*

1 of the 4 goals he let in was kinda questionable. He didn't face a whole lot of shots in the beginning of the game. He did make a few nice saves. Looks like we've got someone who's better than Bunz if you ask me.

Well that's good, because I never thought Bunz had NHL potential.

LD - I'd be soo happy if they could send him to the SEL for a year. Incredibly excited.

Noooooooooooo... NHL sized rinks please.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Ehlers - Jets fan buddy of mine is so in love with the guy. Some Jets fans are drinking so much cool-ade they they think he could end up playing 1st line minutes in the NHL.

Nurse - Moves the puck alright, takes some decent shots from the point, looks comfortable rushing the puck and lays tons of smack down.

LD - I'd be soo happy if they could send him to the SEL for a year. Incredibly excited

where did this come from, is there any truth to this? or just saying?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I am really surprised how much people are over rating the young starts tourny. I recal Hall didn't good at all, Nurse looked really bad last year then went on to look great in actual NHL games. Insert Allen Iverson "were talking about preseason, preseason"

Eirhead*

I am really surprised how much people are over rating the young starts tourny. I recal Hall didn't good at all, Nurse looked really bad last year then went on to look great in actual NHL games. Insert Allen Iverson "were talking about preseason, preseason"

We're just talking hockey... we're not comparing these players to Joe Thornton, Shea Weber & Milan Lucic. We know they're going to have be to rookies in the league before they're bonafide NHL players.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
where did this come from, is there any truth to this? or just saying?

I don't think they specified the SEL, but it's probably the best league to send him to if he's playing in Europe. Seriously doubt it would be KHL.

There was some confusion a few weeks ago - someone mentioned that Draisaitl would not be going back to Prince Albert regardless of whether he makes the Oilers, and that playing in Europe would be better for his development.

Prince Albert never really confirmed anything on that point, other than saying "we'd love to have Leon back if he doesn't make the pros".

Hmmm...maybe I'll ask Stauffer.

Re Ehlers - better-skating Eberle? What about Phil Kessel?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Absolutely nothing wrong with analysing the tournament. Teams use it to determine who gets main camp invites, so obviously they analyse it as well.

The only thing that would be wrong to do, would be to say something like "based on this tournament, Draisaitl should score 60 points this year" etc.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
The view of the team on a streaming service would have been one thing...

My view of the games were 3 rows behind the Oiler bench.

Many of you have shared feedback on specific prospects, but as someone who has viewed this tournament many times there is something that has me beyond excited.

Sure, it is not the best medium to judge talent; many have pointed out Hall looked brutal, Pjaarvi looked like a guaranteed Top-6, and other odd arrows.

Until this year, however, the teams did not seem to have a cohesive identity.

This years team is tough. They "feel" tough, they're perceived as tough, and you can see how that is making a positive impact through body-language, maintaining strong pressure and moment.

Smaller skilled players, such as Tkachev, were able to take advantage of the space that the group was able to impose.

There have been many interviews out of this camp where players are aware what kind of roles the Oilers need to succeed, and what kind of hockey they'll need to play to make the NHL.

This is light years ahead of previous groups, where their presence was weak, their futures were up-in-the-air, and there was no identity whatsoever.

The right energy is on the way, we just need to hope it makes it to the Show.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
its gonna be interesting to see how the Flames handle Gaudreau this year...if I'm MacT and the Oilers, I sign Tkachev to an entry deal (no harm and retain his rights...) and follow closely the progress of Gaudreau throughout the year

maybe they can learn on what to do and what not to do when handling a very small, skilled player

this, of course, is AFTER the main camp cause now he's with the big boys...if he can play the same game and not shy away against men, then give him a shot

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Absolutely nothing wrong with analysing the tournament. Teams use it to determine who gets main camp invites, so obviously they analyse it as well.

The only thing that would be wrong to do, would be to say something like "based on this tournament, Draisaitl should score 60 points this year" etc.

No, problem with anylizing it. I just think some are going to far. At the end of the day it is a very small sample size.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Not sure if it's been mentioned and I know it's not strictly related to this thread, but I think it's cool that the Oilers are making all of the training camp practice sessions, both at Rexall and later on in Leduc, open to the public...and (according to their twitter anyway) for the ones at Rexall, free parking and admission.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730540

I know the training camp sessions have been open in the past, but I'm not sure if they had it in the past where all sessions were open.

If I still lived in Edmonton instead of Vancouver Island, I'd be there every day if I could. :/

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
If their goon squad D wasn't taking stupid penalties all game they might have had a better shot at it.

They have some good forwards but my god the expectations that fanbase is putting on Gaudreau is a little bit sickening. He'd have to win every individual trophy including the Norris, Vezina, and Jack Adams to live up to the hype he's getting. Personally I didn't see the overwhelmingly skilled offensive force he's being made out to be - he's skilled but at his size he has to be opportunistic. He's going to have a decent year (20-20-40 ish) but Calgary fans are building him
up to be the next Gretzky (sometimes literally)

He completely reminds me of Mike Comrie. Comrie dominated at the ncaa level while having alot of...EXTC activities...then focussed himself while making a mockery of the whl and obliterating competition for three months there.

I think he will be better than Comrie was at the NHL level because he has the focus to keep out of the other stuff. Now, that being said, Comrie had flashes of brilliance but teams focussed on him and eventually he had to make himself into a depth player to stick with some nhl teams.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I'm hearing from sources he's 6'2" - 6'3" and may have grown an inch since the draft.

What i heard at physicals was he has grown over an inch in just the three months between combine where he measure in at 6'1.5" and is now pushing 6'3", registering in at 6'2.5-75".

Still growing.

Beastly centre...about freakin time.

I have a couple friends that added some major height between 18 -20, and they were all big to start with. I wouldnt be shocked if he can push 6'4" when all is said and his bones finally fuse and 6'5" would make my jaw drop but is still somewhere realistic if he is having a longer late spurt. I think 6'4" is where he finishes but would be happy if he stops growing right now and just gets used to his body.

That being said...im not so far removed that i can ever forget the hassle of going through growth spurts and the awkwardness of trying to make fine movements in sports. Im impressed if this guy shot up over an inch and is still skating well. Shows he has been getting on the ice regularly during the summer to stay in communication with his body.

Apparently yak1 yak2 have invited leon into their mother ship.
This team is really getting there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad