Post-Game Talk: Penticton Young Stars Tournament

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
LOL at flames fans still thinking that their team would have "stomped" us. Penalties are part of the game.

Eirhead*

I'm hearing from sources he's 6'2" - 6'3" and may have grown an inch since the draft.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I didn't realize Tkachev was only 18. That kid had one hell of a tourney, I am looking forward to watching how he progresses.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I liked what I saw of Draisaitl, Yakimov, Nurse, Musil, Chase, Moroz, and Khaira, who were all the players I hoped would play well. Now the real competition begins at training camp, and while more than one of these rookies making the team would be a shock, I hope they push certain veterans throughout camp.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Man does Ellers ever have one helluva shot. He's lacking in size, but I'm pretty sure that it'll be impossible to keep him out of the NHL this year.

Nurse was so damn scary on the 3rd game. I think we do at least have a Pronger light on our hands.

LD looked so much better on that 3rd game. After watching the first game I was kinda worried about his performance in the first game before finding out that he wasn't feeling well after working out excessively in the gym. He was a totally different player in that third game.

We had a bunch of kids there that looked ready to bang bodies with adults, which tells me that Pitlick is going to have to have one helluva season to hold onto a job.

Musil wasn't overly impressive. Gernat's positional play has improved from playing a season in the AHL, but he didn't look like a super star playing against all these youngsters.

Can't wait to see what Yak2 does in the AHL this year and I really hope that Tkachev is playing next to him. Chase looked good with them as well. He looked A-OK for a 7th rounder.

Kessy was exactly what his hockeysfuture scouting report suggests. Gets in people's grill, smacks people around and tries to bait people into fights.

Overall, it's really scary how quickly these kids are coming along. I wouldn't be surprised if the Barrons one it all two seasons from now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
LOL at flames fans still thinking that their team would have "stomped" us. Penalties are part of the game.

If their goon squad D wasn't taking stupid penalties all game they might have had a better shot at it.

They have some good forwards but my god the expectations that fanbase is putting on Gaudreau is a little bit sickening. He'd have to win every individual trophy including the Norris, Vezina, and Jack Adams to live up to the hype he's getting. Personally I didn't see the overwhelmingly skilled offensive force he's being made out to be - he's skilled but at his size he has to be opportunistic. He's going to have a decent year (20-20-40 ish) but Calgary fans are building him
up to be the next Gretzky (sometimes literally)

Eirhead*

Can't wait to see what Yak2 does in the AHL this year and I really hope that Tkachev is playing next to him. Chase looked good with them as well. He looked A-OK for a 7th rounder.

Kessy was exactly what his hockeysfuture scouting report suggests. Gets in people's grill, smacks people around and tries to bait people into fights.

Overall, it's really scary how quickly these kids are coming along. I wouldn't be surprised if the Barrons one it all two seasons from now.

Ya man, I particularly liked what Kessy brought to the prospect team. Was playing some decent hockey at this level, and bringing exactly the kind of grit we need. I definitely got the impression we were a team that wasn't going to get pushed around.

I'm really really happy with our prospect depth right now. We certainly have some promising projects, as well as a handful of guys who should make a real good case for themselves at main camp.

I very much agree that the Barons should be a strong farm team for the next couple years. There's simply not enough room on the NHL to promote more than a couple, but that's ok - if the organization is winning at both levels, being called up or sent down shouldn't be as much as a culture shock as it has been in the past.

The one thing I noticed with Leon Draisaitl was that he wasn't receiving a lot of passes. He'd make a dandy of a pass to a teammate on the zone entry, would be in position to receive the give and go, but his linemates wouldn't be as interested in giving the puck up as he was. When he's up at the NHL level with players like Eberle, Hall, Yakupov and Perron, they're going to make him look like twice the player with the increase in skill I think. I'm really excited for main camp now :D

Last edited by a moderator:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I liked what I saw of Draisaitl, Yakimov, Nurse, Musil, Chase, Moroz, and Khaira, who were all the players I hoped would play well. Now the real competition begins at training camp, and while more than one of these rookies making the team would be a shock, I hope they push certain veterans throughout camp.

Great topic!

LD - I wouldn't at all be surprised if he made the team. The size and skill is there and we've got a reputation for rushing the kids and whether or not keeping him in the NHL is the right thing to do, he's got the potential to fill a huge void.

Nurse - No way in hell can I see him making the team. For him to make the team two different things happen.

A: Aulie gets put on waivers. Probably gets claimed. One of Ference, Petry, Nikitin, Fayne, Marincin or Schultz plays as our #7 d-man on some nights.

That just sounds crazy to me. If that happened I'm guessing we'd be looking at playing Nurse 30-35 games a year. I can't imagine who we'd pair him with, because he's not yet good defensively to be paired with Justin Schultz, who should be playing more of the softer minutes and that leaves our captain, Ference watching the games from a box. I could see him and Fayne working out together, but I'm one of many Oil fans here who've been under the impression that Fayne was brought here to play some tough shutdown minutes.

B: - One of our d-men get traded to make room for Nurse.

No way do I see Fayne or Nikitin getting traded after signing those contracts. Makes Edmonton look bad. Justin Schultz and Petry are on one year deals. Without Justin Schultz we've got a puck moving problem. Jeff Petry does a hell of a lot of good things when he's being overplayed. I can't see us trading him because he's a right handed guy. Like many teams, our system is lacking in right handed d-men. Sorry Nurse, can't see you making the team.

Yakimov: - He looked really good playing against kids and I can't see him being out both of Lander and Arobello. He's hardly played any hockey on the smaller ice surface at this point and I'm pretty sure the team would rather him start the year in the AHL. If someone gets hurt, I imagine he'll get brought up to play a few games. He's good enough overall to play some 4th line minutes for us if need be. Who knows, the Eakins drools over his size and parks his ass in front of the net on the 2nd PP unit. I'd give him a slightly better chance at making the team than Nurse. And I'm giving Nurse a 1% chance at this point.

Musil: - Musil didn't impress me a whole lot because he's already played a season in the AHL. He played really responsibly, but he didn't wow me. Sometimes he needs to be a little more aggressive IMO.

Chase: - He seemed to gel quite well with Yakimov and Tkachev. Plays safe and simple hockey. Looks great for a 7th rounder. He'll at least turn into a decent AHLer, but I'm not sold on him turning into anything more than that at this point. He's got a lot of growing to do.

Moroz: - Here's a guy that could push someone on waivers. He looked really good out there playing against top prospects. I really don't think he'd look out of place playing 4th line minutes. The question is whether or not Edmonton would rather give him a year in the AHL to try to give him a chance to develop his offence. No doubt I'd like to see him on the wing. He's got a small cap hit and he plays a really ballsy game. With the exception of LD, I'd say he's got the best chance at making the team. I donno, I'd give him a 20% chance.

Khaira: - I liked him almost as much as I liked Moroz. Love the size. Love the aggression and hope to see the offence come along this season. I don't think he's got a chance in hell at making the team this year, but I'm hoping he turns in to a solid third liner.

Tkachev: - He's listed on some websites @ 165 pounds, but the TV announcers were saying he was a whopping 141 pounds. He's listed at 5"8 and the announcers suggested that he might be shorter than that. DAMN that's small, but DAMN can that kid ever play. If we don't sign this kid to a contract, I'm gonna be really ticked off. One of the slickest prospects we've had in YEARS. No way in hell would I want him in the NHL until he puts on a little more weight and I can't wait to see that happen.

Man, I can't wait for this season to start!

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When do we play the Bears? Price is a bit steep, but I'm thinking of going if it works for me.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I very much agree that the Barons should be a strong farm team for the next couple years. There's simply not enough room on the NHL to promote more than a couple, but that's ok - if the organization is winning at both levels, being called up or sent down shouldn't be as much as a culture shock as it has been in the past.

That's the goal... becoming a good NHL team means you have actual depth and prospects in the AHL that aren't just "potentially" good NHL players down the road... there should be players that can step up to the NHL level and play effectively instead of just looking like AHL players.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Good Stuff thadd.

I pretty much agree with all your thoughts.

Only thing I think is Musil has only played in the AHL one year. I remember him being in the Oil Kings playoff run when we lost to Portland. Unless I'm going senile.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Ya man, I particularly liked what Kessy brought to the prospect team. Was playing some decent hockey at this level, and bringing exactly the kind of grit we need. I definitely got the impression we were a team that wasn't going to get pushed around.

I'm really really happy with our prospect depth right now. We certainly have some promising projects, as well as a handful of guys who should make a real good case for themselves at main camp.

The one thing I noticed with Leon Draisaitl was that he wasn't receiving a lot of passes. He'd make a dandy of a pass to a teammate on the zone entry, would be in position to receive the give and go, but his linemates wouldn't be as interested in giving the puck up as he was. When he's up at the NHL level with players like Eberle, Hall, Yakupov and Perron, they're going to make him look like twice the player with the increase in skill I think. I'm really excited for main camp now :D

I agree. I kept looking for him during the games and it was hard to spot him because he wasn't getting the puck, which was weird.

In the game VS the Jets Nurse was doing everything short of playing at forward in attempt to stand out. Well, he wasn't rushing that crazily, but I could see his intentions almost every single shift. He was ringing bells, begging Lowery to drop the gloves, smashed some guy in the back of the head in the front of the net (how the hell was that not a penalty? That really reminded me of Pronger) and was taking some really good, accurate shots on net.

I wonder if he's grown a bit, because I heard that he'd put on weight, but he looks just as thin as ever IMO.

It's a downright shame that we don't have the option of sending Nurse down to the AHL this year.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
anyone know how Frans Tuohimaa played? does he seem to have a future with the Oilers?

1 of the 4 goals he let in was kinda questionable. He didn't face a whole lot of shots in the beginning of the game. He did make a few nice saves. Looks like we've got someone who's better than Bunz if you ask me.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Good Stuff thadd.

I pretty much agree with all your thoughts.

Only thing I think is Musil has only played in the AHL one year. I remember him being in the Oil Kings playoff run when we lost to Portland. Unless I'm going senile.

Thanks. I confused Musil's draft year. Remembered wrong thinking that he was drafted in the same year as Marincin.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Tuohiimaa made a few good stops and was solid in OT, but I thought he had a couple of questionable goals, and looked like he barely moved in the shootout.

Comrie outplayed him by far, and I think that was the difference in the game.

Re Ehlers, I remember Pronman saying he's the real deal, could make an argument to take him in the top 3 I believe.

Re Moroz and Khaira - not quite as high on these 2 as everyone else - I think they showed well, but I'm not convinced Moroz has the skill to make it on anything except maybe 4th line. Khaira is a solid player for sure, but don't see top-end skill there. I think he'll definitely play in the NHL, but maybe not as a regular contributor.

Re Nurse - I just don't see him as being as ready as Marincin or Klefbom - though he really does seem to have the full package, and I love his attitude. Would love to send him to the AHL obviously, but I think I'd tell him one more year with the Greyhounds.

Draisaitl - as much as I was blown away by his mini-Thornton performance yesterday, I wouldn't be upset if we sent him to Europe for a season. I don't think he needs to go back to Prince Albert. Unless he really shines in late preseason, against closer-to-regular NHL rosters, I think he shouldn't be on the team.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Can't wait to see what Yak2 does in the AHL this year and I really hope that Tkachev is playing next to him.

I'm pretty sure Tkachev will be going back to the QMJHL as he's still only 18 and did play there in the latter half of last season and their playoffs.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He let in 4 goals on 13 shots but was great in overtime. It's only one game mind you.

There was a 5-hole goal that I think he should have had, but he was screened on one goal and those goals by Ehlers were just sick. His release is amazing and the amount of power in his wrist shot is flat out mind boggling.

That Jets game was great for our prospects because they've got a few kids fighting for roster spots just like our team. I thought that was a really fair match-up and the results on the scoreboard suggested as much.

At first I was really annoyed by the fact that we were getting all of these power plays and not so many goals on the PP... but then I figured ...

1 - A lot of these guys are playing in a bit more of a self serving manner than usual because they want to get noticed.
2 - Most of these guys haven't ever played together so you can't expect much chemistry and if there's no chemistry the PP should look pretty awkward.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Draisaitl - as much as I was blown away by his mini-Thornton performance yesterday, I wouldn't be upset if we sent him to Europe for a season. I don't think he needs to go back to Prince Albert. Unless he really shines in late preseason, against closer-to-regular NHL rosters, I think he shouldn't be on the team.

The worry here of course is that nobody knows what kind of icetime or role he's get in which Euro or KHL team he landed on. There's no guarantees he'd get anything more than a 4th line role playing 5-6 minutes per night on those teams. Sure they could give assurances to the Oilers that they would, but once the season starts who knows what would happen. And is playing on international ice surfaces for a full year really the best thing for getting him ready for the NHL at this point?

Guess I'm a bit paranoid after seeing how Slepyshev's development is getting stunted by the KHL right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad