Post-Game Talk: Penticton Young Stars Tournament

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
He completely reminds me of Mike Comrie. Comrie dominated at the ncaa level while having alot of...EXTC activities...then focussed himself while making a mockery of the whl and obliterating competition for three months there.

I think he will be better than Comrie was at the NHL level because he has the focus to keep out of the other stuff. Now, that being said, Comrie had flashes of brilliance but teams focussed on him and eventually he had to make himself into a depth player to stick with some nhl teams.

Not a bad comparison at all. Probably better speed than Comrie.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
What is the situation with Tkachev. He played in the QMJHL last, so would he have to be sent back? Or, since he wasn't drafted and instead signed, would he be able to play in the AHL?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
where did this come from, is there any truth to this? or just saying?

Noooooooooooo... NHL sized rinks please.

I wasn't the person who brought it up, but it would be good for him, actually. He'd surely have to put a lot of emphasis on improving his foot speed if he started playing on the big ice. He's speed isn't horrible, but it's something that could be improved upon greatly.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
He has to play in the Q whether he becomes Oilers' property or not.

Pretty sure he can play for whoever in major junior hockey if his Q team is willing to let him go.

As for the AHL, I believe he'll have to follow the same rules as any other major junior player. So he'll have to wait until he's 20yo.

Eirhead*

I wasn't the person who brought it up, but it would be good for him, actually. He'd surely have to put a lot of emphasis on improving his foot speed if he started playing on the big ice. He's speed isn't horrible, but it's something that could be improved upon greatly.

I just feel like it would be a backwards step in his development to go back to European sized ice. The way you play the attack on a north american rink is dramatically different from how you play the attack on a European rink. If he was a defenceman, I might be ok with it. But he's a forward, so I absolutely do not want him going back to Europe after just barely getting familiar with the North American rink.

Oct 15, 2008
I also hope Jujhar gets at least a call up this year. He's a friend of mine and I'm so glad he got drafted by us

Dont hold your breath. He was awful. Unless he makes major improvements in his skating he wont go anywhere near the nhl.

Yakimov isnt the greatest skater either but he was simply outstanding. Unless Khaira can leapfrog Yakimov, he will be on the outside looking in.

Oct 15, 2008
The view of the team on a streaming service would have been one thing...

My view of the games were 3 rows behind the Oiler bench.

Many of you have shared feedback on specific prospects, but as someone who has viewed this tournament many times there is something that has me beyond excited.

Sure, it is not the best medium to judge talent; many have pointed out Hall looked brutal, Pjaarvi looked like a guaranteed Top-6, and other odd arrows.

Until this year, however, the teams did not seem to have a cohesive identity.

This years team is tough. They "feel" tough, they're perceived as tough, and you can see how that is making a positive impact through body-language, maintaining strong pressure and moment.

Smaller skilled players, such as Tkachev, were able to take advantage of the space that the group was able to impose.

There have been many interviews out of this camp where players are aware what kind of roles the Oilers need to succeed, and what kind of hockey they'll need to play to make the NHL.

This is light years ahead of previous groups, where their presence was weak, their futures were up-in-the-air, and there was no identity whatsoever.

The right energy is on the way, we just need to hope it makes it to the Show.

Did you notice how many puck battles we won? It was like the Anti-Oilers. They were big and strong and they controlled both zones for the most part. The Flames were fast and generally small up front, the Jets were pretty good and the Canucks, well, outside of a couple of invites (Valk and Lotz) they SUCKED! And it was glorious!

Oct 15, 2008

Send him to Europe to play shinny? No thanks. That's probably the worst thing we could do for his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad