GDT: Pens @ Wings || 2pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Crosby 7 goals in his last 21 games (Feb 10 - Mar 24)
18 goals the 19 games before that (Dec 26 - Feb 8)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I thought the Lovejoy/Dumo pair was fine. Not nearly as good as Daley/Dumo, but serviceable.

After Cole came back and played okay hockey, I didn't think so many people would be up in arms about Lovejoy. I mean, I'd rather Pouliot because hes a better player, but whatever.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
The hyperbole is strong today, I see.

Do posters really want to see a Pouliot Letang pairing? Or a Pouliot Daley pairing? And on the road no less?

Ot...you know. A Pouliot - Dumoulin pairing. Since thats where Lovejoy will play.

Dumo can more than enough cover for any short coming Pouliot has in his own zone. I really dont think Lovejoy is any better defensively tho.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ot...you know. A Pouliot - Dumoulin pairing. Since thats where Lovejoy will play.

Dumo can more than enough cover for any short coming Pouliot has in his own zone. I really dont think Lovejoy is any better defensively tho.

A. Dumoulin can't play his off-side, we saw that cluster **** last year
B. Playing Pouliot with Dumoulin basically eliminates the 2nd pair from being used as a shutdown pair, which makes Daley-Letang the shutdown pair (which would be a very weak shutdown pair)
C. Playing Pouliot with Dumoulin forces either Pouliot or Schultz to be put in way over their heads defensively, since Daley-Letang can't be playing against both the 1st and 2nd lines.

Dumoulin-Lovejoy worked really damn well as a shutdown pair when it was used earlier in the year. Playing Lovejoy over Pouliot makes infinitely more sense than the other way around, especially considering special teams.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013

Do posters really want to see a Pouliot Letang pairing? Or a Pouliot Daley pairing? And on the road no less?

Why not? The idea that Letang and Daley need stay at home defensive babysitters is insulting to them. Especially Letang. It's that thinking that has kept guys like Rob Scuderi and Brooks Orpik around for years: to settle down Letang.

Letang has no problem with a young offensive d partner. He once said it was good for him because he was more aware of having to cover for his partner that way (this was in reference to Despres). And Pouliot's defense was not so terrible in his second stint up here that Letang would even have to do much covering for him anyway.

And I just don't think Lovejoy is so markedly better at defense than Pouliot to justify his spot in the lineup. Or better at anything than Pouliot.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
We are also clicking at maybe 5% on the pp without geno. One would think a natural PP QB like Pouliot wouldn get the chance there
I can almost promise he will be gone in the off season. Management has made it clear hes not a part of the plan.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
We are also clicking at maybe 5% on the pp without geno. One would think a natural PP QB like Pouliot wouldn get the chance there
I can almost promise he will be gone in the off season. Management has made it clear hes not a part of the plan.

Yeah, this too. They have this stupid mentality that he's a pure offensive dman (even after making him work on his defense at the expense of his offense) and they don't even use him on the powerplay. It's baffling and frustrating.

Whatever your feelings are on Pouliot himself, you should be unhappy with how the Penguins have brought along an 8th overall pick just in terms of asset management.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Its the same as with Scuderi. Just because Lovejoy is bad on the outlet doesnt make him a defensive beast. You can just be bad all around you know. Being bad offensively doesnt mean you are good on defense.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

The only thing I can speak to is Pouliot's play. He was really finding his stride and then was sat. He didn't deserve to sit, tbh.

I think people have the right to be a little upset. One is a top 10 pick for us... the other will be gone because he's a piece of ****.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
#87, #58, #29 are the 3 guys who need to steal this victory. Our third line had something like 16 total points in 11 games, which is awesome. But today we need our stars to go out and get it.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So MS sits DP for LJ??? I dont get it, DP was playing very well before the whole schultz trade. MS is an idiot. Dan bylsma 2.0. Play the vets over the young BETTER players. :shakehead fire him

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only thing I can speak to is Pouliot's play. He was really finding his stride and then was sat. He didn't deserve to sit, tbh.

I think people have the right to be a little upset. One is a top 10 pick for us... the other will be gone because he's a piece of ****.

Pouliot was definitely playing too well to justify him sitting in the press box, but I think that's more of an issue of Schultz and Pouliot not rotating than Pouliot not making sense to play over Lovejoy. Schultz and Pouliot should be rotating in and out. While the Cole-Schultz pair has been very good, the Pouliot-Cole pair was also very good and it's not like Schultz has been any better than Pouliot was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad