Post-Game Talk: Pens win vs Lightning: Carter the hero we needed, not the hero we deserved

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Beat Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, LA, Toronto this month. Overall a good November despite it being frustrating.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Remember back in 2016 the Main Board was furious that we drew so many penalties. I mean when you have the puck 70% of the time, you're also more likely to draw penalties.

Not surprised we are at the bottom and will continue to be until the core retires
it would be interesting to see the stats who drew our penalties so far, I see Geno still getting a lot of calls (fewer than he really should,but refs kind of have him) probably Rust and Zohorna.....

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The Pens absolutely do need to drive the net more but it doesn't explain the lack of pp opportunities imo.

Jake was high sticked in front of the net last night and Geno had his stick broken by a slash while driving the net and neither were called despite both actions being the kind of penalty that is typically called automatically.

I haven't seen them get shafted so consistently since they had Steve Downie on the roster. I think it is because they have had so many leads this season. Refs are ridiculously lenient with trailing teams.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I’m not totally sure that Smith was "a ghost" last night. He could have scored 2 goals that didn’t go in, I feel like he was trying and had a couple good combo passes with Geno.

The worst L2 shift was caused by Graves being unable to clear the puck 3 times. Idk maybe I should rewatch the game but I don’t remember Smith being a ghost, sounds like a reach.
he picked up in the last 30 minutes as Geno picked up...

Reactions: Andy99

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
So serious question. Especially given the uncalled pick in OT the last game that led to the game winning goal.

Why does a team with so many skill players have the fewest power play chances in the NHL?

Yea I did feel we were on the low end of powerplays.

Right now with the powerplay being worse than Even strength it doesn't bother me however moving forward we need those power plays.

It is quite shocking we have the puck in general more and we receive less. Some of this has gotta be drives. Are top 6 seems to be at times allergic going towards the net hard.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
it would be interesting to see the stats who drew our penalties so far, I see Geno still getting a lot of calls (fewer than he really should,but refs kind of have him) probably Rust and Zohorna.....
Yeah, Jake as well

reino

Jul 20, 2019

11.JPG

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
No mystery, the refs are doing us a solid by not giving us many PP chances. Good lads!

Either that or they hate Crosby for some reason, lol.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Refs have been as bad at officiating penalties as the penguins have been on the power play.

The pick in Nashville.

The bizarre noncall penalty where a 4 min double minor was taken off the board because the opposing player couldn't control his stick

The call against Ruhwedel a week or two before that where the ref didn't get out of the way and he bumped into him causing the stick to go in the forwards face.

Those are the three that really stick out

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
This season is so weird. Sid has more goals than assists but Jake has a ridiculous 18 assists in 22 games.

Ovie also has 5 more assists than goals.

What is even happening?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sid NEVER gets calls. It’s ridiculous. If we had NBA refs, Sid would have crushed Gretzky’s records (all of them) at least 18 years ago

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
What does this even mean?
It means that right now, Puustinen is just like Alex Nylander, Jansen Harkins, and every other fringe NHLer in the organization. Their overall production in the AHL ends up looking fine, but the reality is they are streaky, inconsistent players who end up looking mostly invisible against better competition.

I want Puustinen - or someone, anyone - to look dangerous and productive on a regular basis rather than getting a couple points and then disappearing for three or four games.

This is what happens when your top prospects are barely NHL caliber. Someone has to score in the AHL, so when they do, everyone thinks you have something worthwhile but really it's just a polished turd.

The only players I'm remotely interested in down at WBS are Poulin and Blomqvist. They are the only ones in my mind who have the talent and the overall depth to their game to be more than a two-week fill-in at the NHL level, and for Poulin that's assuming he can stay healthy.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I was impressed with Ludvig last night, he looked pretty comfortable with Letang.

For what it's worth Malkin and Smith have looked better the past two games with DOC, though that might be just coincidental. I think he is a better fit with the style of Geno's line rather than Crosby's anyway.

The one PP they had looked better, getting it down low more often. I think that's the way forward, get it down low with Sid and let him be the playmaker. Also works because you can go up to EK for the one-timer which he is very comfortable with (as opposed to the side-to-side one-timer).

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It means that right now, Puustinen is just like Alex Nylander, Jansen Harkins, and every other fringe NHLer in the organization. Their overall production in the AHL ends up looking fine, but the reality is they are streaky, inconsistent players who end up looking mostly invisible against better competition.

I want Puustinen - or someone, anyone - to look dangerous and productive on a regular basis rather than getting a couple points and then disappearing for three or four games.

This is what happens when your top prospects are barely NHL caliber. Someone has to score in the AHL, so when they do, everyone thinks you have something worthwhile but really it's just a polished turd.

The only players I'm remotely interested in down at WBS are Poulin and Blomqvist. They are the only ones in my mind who have the talent and the overall depth to their game to be more than a two-week fill-in at the NHL level, and for Poulin that's assuming he can stay healthy.

So you want a scorer to not be a scorer?

If this is your issue is it not appropriate to have the same expectation for our other bottom six guys and try and get a hot hand up?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I was impressed with Ludvig last night, he looked pretty comfortable with Letang.

For what it's worth Malkin and Smith have looked better the past two games with DOC, though that might be just coincidental. I think he is a better fit with the style of Geno's line rather than Crosby's anyway.

The one PP they had looked better, getting it down low more often. I think that's the way forward, get it down low with Sid and let him be the playmaker. Also works because you can go up to EK for the one-timer which he is very comfortable with (as opposed to the side-to-side one-timer).

Still think Rust and DOC are worth switching. Geno-Rust has historically been $$$$$$ for us.

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
So you want a scorer to not be a scorer?

If this is your issue is it not appropriate to have the same expectation for our other bottom six guys and try and get a hot hand up?
"I want Puustinen - or someone, anyone - to look dangerous and productive on a regular basis rather than getting a couple points and then disappearing for three or four games."

I guess that's pretty much exactly NOT what he said, but hey.....

It's pretty simple. Scoring 9 pts in 5 games (out of 16 gms) is not as desirable as scoring 9 pts in say 8 gms (out of 16 gms). Consistency.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
"I want Puustinen - or someone, anyone - to look dangerous and productive on a regular basis rather than getting a couple points and then disappearing for three or four games."

I guess that's pretty much exactly NOT what he said, but hey.....

It's pretty simple. Scoring 9 pts in 5 games (out of 16 gms) is not as desirable as scoring 9 pts in say 8 gms (out of 16 gms). Consistency.

Why?

Who in our bottom six is producing at all?

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
Why?

Who in our bottom six is producing at all?
Well 1, you edited after I started response so is was only for the 'want a scorer to not score'

In terms of bottom 6, Hino is 3rd on team in Points per 60 @ 2.84 and Z is 6th @ 1.94. Hino is benched for potentially 1 lapse at the wrong time, and neither are scoring regularly. But I think that's more on line construction personally.

I think DP was only saying that Puu is currently inconsistent in the A, and maybe if he continues gaining consistency then he should get the call later.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well 1, you edited after I started response so is was only for the 'want a scorer to not score'

In terms of bottom 6, Hino is 3rd on team in Points per 60 @ 2.84 and Z is 6th @ 1.94. Hino is benched for potentially 1 lapse at the wrong time, and neither are scoring regularly. But I think that's more on line construction personally.

I think DP was only saying that Puu is currently inconsistent in the A, and maybe if he continues gaining consistency then he should get the call later.

Just seems like a weird call out. Isn't every player down there inconsistent?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Acciari has been playing well in the last while. I notice that line has been out there against other top lines recently, so speaks to the trust he has gained with Sullivan. I feel Carter has also raised his game a little since returning to the lineup too. It's nice to have defensively responsible 4th liners you can move to the 3rd line late in games, like last night when Nieto-Eller-Acciari were on with EK and Graves for the Jarry goal. (Also, for the EK haters, there goes the idea that EK is only trusted because he has the defensively elite Pettersson beside him - he was out defending a 5-on-6 situation with Graves.)

Reactions: Josey Wales

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad