Post-Game Talk: Pens win vs Lightning: Carter the hero we needed, not the hero we deserved

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Please let this all be a season changing victory?! 🙏🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Well maybe not for the team, but this could really be a season-changer for Jarry

I've done my fair share of dunking on the dude but he's definitely on his game this past week + .
The things that stood out to me recently is that he's handling the puck more which leads me to believe his shoulder is feeling much better. Last week he sprung a breakaway and last night of course he gets the goal.

Goaltending typically comes down to a couple of things: 1) Positioning and 2) Confidence
Jarry's got a ton of the second going on right now. You can sense his swagger and that goal could really propel him.
Definitely happy to eat crow for the time being

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
We typically do well against Tampa, and was so confused with that first period. It looked like we were about to experience a blowout. I was about to fast forward the game.

Jarry completely carried the team in the 1st period, and was the only reason we had a chance to respond, and boy did we! The big guys Crosby/Malkin/Letang were clutch.

Jarry's goal was just icing on the cake. Just wished Geno scored too. I'm sure they ribbed him about it :).

That game was a real roller coaster ride!

Reactions: vodeni and Andy99

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This team is just stupid. We know they can play like that, which is why when they don't I get so pissed off.

TJ is a f***ign stud. Where are all the losers who like to mitch about him in GDTs and not show up when the Pens win?

Only other minus is Geno missing that ENG, need to pad the stats.
I don’t know if I’m one of the losers you’re referring to, but I’ll reply just to be safe:

I don’t post here in general, wins or losses, but I am probably one of the loudest Jarry critics.

I don’t cheer for the names on the back (outside of sid or geno). As long as the penguins, as a team, win, I honestly don’t care who is in net.

Jarry has been great the past week. And if he can play like this consistently for the rest of the year, he won’t be the reason the penguins miss the playoffs.

But that’s the rub with jarry. He’s never been consistent at anything but inconsistency.

We don’t need a goalie who has a .905 sv% but it’s 100% in wins and 80% in losses. We need a goalie who can play well game in game out. Not gonna win ‘em all, but way more than they’ll win with Dr Jarry and Mr Hide From a Save.

So yeah, if he keeps this up, I will cheer for him. If he goes back to Mr 850, I’ll criticize.

By the way, you’re a bit of a hypocrite. When Murray was the goalie, you only showed up to criticize.

When Fleury and Jarry lose, you never show up to criticize them. Just make excuses.

You have, out of all the legit (non troll) posters here, some of the worst takes, but then you call others out for their takes? Please.

Everyone here (except Andy) wants the Pens to win. Jarry has not been a part of that the last four years. The moment he is, he’ll receive all the praise in the world

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Jarry > Malkin confirmed.

Also, Carter's goal was low-key sick as f***. He sold pass the entire way, then ripped a quick shot while his entire body was contorted the wrong way. I am very impressed.

Carter can still show flashes of what he had.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I think what we're seeing with Carter is that at this point, his most effective usage is "now and then." He's become one of those players who can still show a flash now and again but he is incapable of being an 82 game guy even at reduced TOI. If you need to rotate him in now and again he could be manageable.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
This should be a turnaround game but I'll be shocked if it is. There's already been several instances of the team playing great and then laying an egg immediately after.

Reactions: Andy99

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think what we're seeing with Carter is that at this point, his most effective usage is "now and then." He's become one of those players who can still show a flash now and again but he is incapable of being an 82 game guy even at reduced TOI. If you need to rotate him in now and again he could be manageable.
it's great that he was useful last night, but we have to remember what our record was with him out of the lineup and what it was as soon as he came back.

I'd rather risk losing this version of Carter than putting up with the most-common form

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I have some deep concerns about L2. People will point to the goals but it seems they've been hemmed in defensively. Smith is a ghost out there. Blows me away that DOC is showing more of a pulse than him.

Good luck to you Mr Malkin carrying this line!

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I have some deep concerns about L2. People will point to the goals but it seems they've been hemmed in defensively. Smith is a ghost out there. Blows me away that DOC is showing more of a pulse than him.

I wish Rakell had been back before Rust so that we could have maybe had Sully move Rakell to L1, had that work, and then Rust to Geno's line.

I know GCRust has been "better" this year than previous years, but I still think GCRakell and SMRust is the best configuration for this roster.

If they insist on playing Rust on L1, I don't know where (if at all) Rakell fits, and that upsets me, since I'm a big RR fan

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
it's great that he was useful last night, but we have to remember what our record was with him out of the lineup and what it was as soon as he came back.

I'd rather risk losing this version of Carter than putting up with the most-common form

Given the option, agreed. And he's still the first carcass on the burn pile when Rickard "Less Goals than The Goalie" Rakell comes off IR.

I wish Rakell could come back to L1 though.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
.500 team wins half of their games and loses the other half.
The game that will turn it around people say :laugh:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
.500 team wins half of their games and loses the other half.
The game that will turn it around people say :laugh:
When you look at the standings that .500 in the standing is less concerning. Washington sitting at 3rd is only 3 points ahead of us and we are sitting at 4 spots down of the final wild card. If the Pens use this game to galvanize themselves and start stringing together 2 to 3 wins consistently they’ll push up in the standings. If it were not for what that 4 game loosing streak they could be sitting at 3rd in the division if they what went 2 - 2 over that stretch. It’s a weird conference this year. Very few teams that are leaps and bounds better than the rest in the East. So hopefully this game is a turning point for them.

Reactions: Rave7215 and LOGiK

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
So serious question. Especially given the uncalled pick in OT the last game that led to the game winning goal.

Why does a team with so many skill players have the fewest power play chances in the NHL?

I thinks a big part is how old and slow we are. Speed is the best way to draw penalties.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
When you look at the standings that .500 in the standing is less concerning. Washington sitting at 3rd is only 3 points ahead of us and we are sitting at 4 spots down of the final wild card. If the Pens use this game to galvanize themselves and start stringing together 2 to 3 wins consistently they’ll push up in the standings. If it were not for what that 4 game loosing streak they could be sitting at 3rd in the division if they what went 2 - 2 over that stretch. It’s a weird conference this year. Very few teams that are leaps and bounds better than the rest in the East. So hopefully this game is a turning point for them.
It is possible, sure.
I am less optimistic than that though.
I'm in the jaded group :thumbu:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I thinks a big part is how old and slow we are. Speed is the best way to draw penalties.

Remember back in 2016 the Main Board was furious that we drew so many penalties. I mean when you have the puck 70% of the time, you're also more likely to draw penalties.

Not surprised we are at the bottom and will continue to be until the core retires

Reactions: Beau Knows

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Remember back in 2016 the Main Board was furious that we drew so many penalties. I mean when you have the puck 70% of the time, you're also more likely to draw penalties.

Not surprised we are at the bottom and will continue to be until the core retires
The thing is, though, the Pens have good possession numbers this year - they are top 10 in CF%, FF%, and xG. They aren't what they were during the Cup years obviously but they are still good enough at it that they shouldn't be last in the NHL at PPO. It's probably not bad that they are given the PP but it's kind of weird.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The thing is, though, the Pens have good possession numbers this year - they are top 10 in CF%, FF%, and xG. They aren't what they were during the Cup years obviously but they are still good enough at it that they shouldn't be last in the NHL at PPO. It's probably not bad that they are given the PP but it's kind of weird.

I also think there's some truth in that article about lack of penalties correlating with a team that doesn't drive the net. We're a perimeter team that controls the puck, albeit without speed

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
New year, same crap. Sully's over reliance on his top 2 lines, burning them out for the stretch run. The meathead hates to play any kind of youth real minutes and loves crusty bottom feeder vets (THAT's WHAT HE WAS).

Big picture, this franchise continues to hitch it's fortune to a very overrated, stubborn coach. And their new wonderboy GM's big move was once again trading a first round pick for vet over 30. Can't wait for the Jake contract to happen soon that will be too long, too much with an NMC.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

They are not great offensively but the defensive issues of getting hemmed are mostly when Sullivan puts the third D pair out with them, and they obviously don’t move the puck out as well….Sullivan saw this, thank god, after the first period and split them up…notice L2’s goal occurred with Letang out there..if Sullivan was really concerned about helping this line, he’d either replace DOC with Rust or he’d stop playing a a D pair with no puck mover on it behind them lol….but Sullivan has had no such interest in helping this line lol

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Haven't been able to watch games lately as I've been busy with holiday stuff. It's great to see the Pens bounce back and not crumble. Question for those that have been watching, I've noticed Vinny has been a scratch lately. Was he really that bad that Haskins and Carter are playing over him (Carter's goal tonight withstanding)? He seemed to be adding points and looking good on the 4th line. I'm curious what happened

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I’m not totally sure that Smith was "a ghost" last night. He could have scored 2 goals that didn’t go in, I feel like he was trying and had a couple good combo passes with Geno.

The worst L2 shift was caused by Graves being unable to clear the puck 3 times. Idk maybe I should rewatch the game but I don’t remember Smith being a ghost, sounds like a reach.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m not totally sure that Smith was "a ghost" last night. He could have scored 2 goals that didn’t go in, I feel like he was trying and had a couple good combo passes with Geno.

The worst L2 shift was caused by Graves being unable to clear the puck 3 times. Idk maybe I should rewatch the game but I don’t remember Smith being a ghost, sounds like a reach.
Yeah, Graves and third D pair have done that line no favors…if Sullivan was smart, hed keep the Ludvig-Letang pairing and always have one of that pair or EK-Petts behind L2 …I think the problems are that these D men are trying to make things happen for Geno and are whiffing on pucks lol

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Yeah, Graves and third D pair have done that line no favors…if Sullivan was smart, hed keep the Ludvig-Letang pairing and always have one of that pair or EK-Petts behind L2 …I think the problems are that these D men are trying to make things happen for Geno and are whiffing on pucks lol
Should be better when we play at home. Tampa was def targeting Graves last night with the final line change.

I’m def in favor of splitting Graves-Letang. I believe that I commented on it when I saw Shea play 2 games :laugh: Graves-Letang will never work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad