Post-Game Talk: Pens win vs Islanders: Lots of milestones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The scoring and Letang will be the spotlight of this game but man, I’m happy for Jarry. Dude was hearing it from the fans early and he answered the bell. Granted he didn’t face a lot of tough shots but still. Happy to see him get the shutout.

Won't be much love for a goalie in a 7-0 game, but major props to Jarry who seemed to swallow every shot when the Pens were getting hemmed in their own end. Underrated game for him early on when he needed to be strong and he was.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
How cool is it that, despite all the f***ery with his contract, we can legitimately say that Marcus Pettersson is underpaid?

Also:

He's been fantastic this year. He really highlights just how putrid the rest of the d.core [often] is defensively. Was talking to my company last night about how many goals he's saved this year and I'm not sure 50 is an exaggerated number.

That said he's not underpaid. He was ass for a while and now he's making up for that. If he plays like this for the remainder of this year and next he'll absolutely cash in on a probably 5.5 x 7.

+ Love the Errey love. I really thought it was a big mistake letting him go and thought it quite odd that folks (very few here) would trash him. Like, if you watch ANY other team in the league over the course of the past 15 years you'd realize how special Errey is. What an absolutely awful decision by whomever made it. Sure, bring in Colby here and there. But letting Errey go for what we have now is a microcosm of stupid business decisions all over the country. He understood the game and actually called BS out. Now we have to listen to tire inflations and dead air on most nights - though it's fitting to this club if we're being honest. Guess it beats box-check hires that some other orgs have fallen too (not that we're immune from it). There's always the mute switch I guess.

Big game Letang. Congrats. Super cool.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Harkins is gonna get squeezed because of his cap hit.

Good

Really hope that Sullivan is receiving the message that Rakell should be with Crosby even when Rust comes back.

Really worried that the message Sullivan received is that Crosby didn't have any points last night and therefore things must change.

Everyone knows that Rust will be on L1 when he's back

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
The Metro has got to be the most tumultuous division in hockey right now. The 2-7 seeds will look completely different in 2 months from now, and then again at the end of the season.

It's such a shitshow in the Metro I could see the Devils and Pens leapfrogging everyone.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
LOL I love these corresponding statcards
1703779812007.png

1703779916277.png

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The Metro has got to be the most tumultuous division in hockey right now. The 2-7 seeds will look completely different in 2 months from now, and then again at the end of the season.

It's such a shitshow in the Metro I could see the Devils and Pens leapfrogging everyone.
I'd imagine it's the division with the highest bar at the end too. If we were in the Pacific, we'd be in 4th, not 7th.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It’s hilarious how hard Geno came out of the gate. I was thinking “oh God we got another Mario.” He didn’t quite reach that level (though he flirted with it 09 playoffs) but I’m not one to complain.
still for all those years, other than Sid and Ovi, until McDavid came was there a better player in NHL?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
It’s hilarious how hard Geno came out of the gate. I was thinking “oh God we got another Mario.” He didn’t quite reach that level (though he flirted with it 09 playoffs) but I’m not one to complain.
shame he started late. could be much farther ahead if he came over with ov. but then we might not have sid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I didn't even realize they were back from the Xmas break yet until I saw the main board thread about Letang setting an NHL record.

Maybe I should stay out of the loop more often if this is the result when I'm not even aware they're playing.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
shame he started late. could be much farther ahead if he came over with ov. but then we might not have sid.

I view that last year in Magnitogorsk as good for his development as a hockey player, albeit the ending was scary and tough. But learning to dominate the 2nd best league in the world would be better than growing pains in the NHL.

Reactions: The Old Master

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I view that last year in Magnitogorsk as good for his development as a hockey player, albeit the ending was scary and tough. But learning to dominate the 2nd best league in the world would be better than growing pains in the NHL.
could be, but with his skill level i'm not so sure. starting in the nhl didn't hurt others with the same skill set. imo

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure this is cap compliant at this stage of the reason:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
Zohorna-Eller-Puustinen
Nieto-Acciari-DOC
Carter

Pettersson-Letang
Graves-Karlsson
Ludvig-Ruhwedel
POJ
I think we really need Rust back but I am terrified of the terrible decisions Sullivan might make. While I really like Zohorna and DOC, I think we will eventually have to choose. Big Z did score but man that was a long drought and meager run he had. I worry about DOC because, again while I like his overall game...it's not manifesting into the production we need. 4th is fine, I guess, but my worry is that Sullivan and Dubas see him as something more.

DOC/Zohorna-Eller-Puustinen would be good.

That game was just an overall dominant game by Letang. I don't know what got into him but he did everything, on BOTH sides of the puck. It is absolutely no surprise that this game broke a couple of records.
I think we did fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad