Post-Game Talk: Pens will learn from this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
Today's question - who has been your most disappointing Pens player this year? Plenty of candidates to choose from...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So that one time I blew like 300 bucks on one of those Texas Tea video gambling machines was I actually investing money? Because it didn't feel like it.

Today's question - who has been your most disappointing Pens player this year? Plenty of candidates to choose from...

Rust and it's honestly not even close.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Based on what was expected, you’d have to say Jarry, with Letang and Rust close seconds…we knew Dumo was going downhill for a few years and Carter is 38…have to go with Jarry

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
So that one time I blew like 300 bucks on one of those Texas Tea video gambling machines was I actually investing money? Because it didn't feel like it.

Rust and it's honestly not even close.
Letang has been real, real f***ing bad for long stretches. I don't know that Rust is the runaway winner here. :laugh: But it's definitely between those two, imo. At least Letang's got reasons to have a rough year with what he's been through off the ice. Rust is just a f***ing bum that got a retirement deal.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Letang has been real, real f***ing bad for long stretches. I don't know that Rust is the runaway winner here. :laugh: But it's definitely between those two, imo. At least Letang's got reasons to have a rough year with what he's been through off the ice. Rust is just a f***ing bum that got a retirement deal.

That was my rationale, yeah. Letang has some problems beyond his control and he still helps drive the offense at ES. I can't think of one useful thing Rust does. At least with any consistency.

Didn't consider Jarry. I had no confidence in him to start. He's a goaltender, after all.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Do the bookies offer bets on whether Jarry will make it to the end of tonight's game without being pulled? Asking for a friend.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
That was my rationale, yeah. Letang has some problems beyond his control and he still helps drive the offense at ES. I can't think of one useful thing Rust does. At least with any consistency.

Didn't consider Jarry. I had no confidence in him to start. He's a goaltender, after all.
Yeah. I probably go with Letang, even though there's an explanation. Dude was 7th in Norris voting last year and has been f***ing *dreadful* at times this season. Rust is just as shit as expected, tbh.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah. I probably go with Letang, even though there's an explanation. Dude was 7th in Norris voting last year and has been f***ing *dreadful* at times this season. Rust is just as shit as expected, tbh.

I think it was foolish of people to expect last season to be the norm.

That includes the Penguins lol

EDIT: If anyone expected Rust to be THIS shit... they sure were quiet this past offseason.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think it was foolish of people to expect last season to be the norm.

That includes the Penguins lol

EDIT: If anyone expected Rust to be THIS shit... they sure were quiet this past offseason.
Yeah, I'm just saying Letang's drop off has been precipitous. Rust has been trending down for years. Dude's lost all his buzzsaw qualities away from the puck like, half a decade ago now. :laugh: None of us *really* cared when he was posting impressive numbers but there was a lot of empty calories to his production and now he's back to being a 40-45pt guy on top of being a floater and shit defensively.

Y'know, now I'm talking myself into it. Hell, give 'em both the award. :laugh: Cut it in half, neither one deserves a whole award.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I'm just saying Letang's drop off has been precipitous. Rust has been trending down for years. Dude's lost all his buzzsaw qualities away from the puck like, half a decade ago now. :laugh: None of us *really* cared when he was posting impressive numbers but there was a lot of empty calories to his production and now he's back to being a 40-45pt guy on top of being a floater and shit defensively.

Y'know, now I'm talking myself into it. Hell, give 'em both the award. :laugh: Cut it in half, neither one deserves a whole award.

I would say Tristan Jarry can help them cut it in half as he is a solid second place finisher in this category but he'd just injure himself.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
And honestly, Jake hasn't been all that impressive at all this season. Could see him falling into the same routine Rust has where he just kinda schleps around once he has his big contract. Can't wait for this team to give him $9 million AAV x 8 years with a full NMC!

I would say Tristan Jarry can help them cut it in half as he is a solid second place finisher in this category but he'd just injure himself.
It's always fun when the goalie your team is about to hand a like $40 million deal has the durability of Beau Bennett and the inconsistency of Kasperi Kapanen.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
And honestly, Jake hasn't been all that impressive at all this season. Could see him falling into the same routine Rust has where he just kinda schleps around once he has his big contract. Can't wait for this team to give him $9 million AAV x 8 years with a full NMC!

It's always fun when the goalie your team is about to hand a like $40 million deal has the durability of Beau Bennett and the inconsistency of Kasperi Kapanen.

You cant move Rust or Granlund.
I wouldnt move Rakell.

I would consider moving jake this summer though.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Eh. He's the same as most of the rest of 'em, really. A hero one day and an airhead spazz the next. It's just that now he can't stay in the net due to one injury or the other so he's TRULY useless.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Zero chance any team including the Pens gives him that kind of money. He will get a 5milAAV but it will only be for like 3-4 years.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Eh. He's the same as most of the rest of 'em, really. A hero one day and an airhead spazz the next. It's just that now he can't stay in the net due to one injury or the other so he's TRULY useless.
He's always been streaky but more mediocre than not imo. He's Kirkland MAF in that he has the ability to win you a game, but he's way more likely to lose it for you.

I wouldnt move Rakell.

This team better move Jake before next TDL or they're f***ing themselves over by cratering the value of the one (1) single valuable asset they've got in order to hopefully make the next chapter less painful. If he signs a new deal with this team, they're getting pocket lint and empty peanut shells for the dude, imo.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Zero chance any team including the Pens gives him that kind of money. He will get a 5milAAV but it will only be for like 3-4 years.
Yeah, we'll see I guess. The UFA crop looks real garbage, to the point where Seravalli and others are suggesting guys like Jarry and Bunting will be the biggest fish on the market.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I wouldnt move Rakell.

any contract is movable provided you can get the player to agree & a trading partner willing to accept a deal. Granlund does not have any clause in his contract regarding movement, so he is fair game. Jake is a movable asset, but they should have started the process last offseason & let everyone walk. Geno, Tanger, Rust, Rakell, Kapanen, Carter, the whole lot of them. They listened to Sid way too much on that. Yes, the team would have been horrible this year, but tell me, is it really any better bringing those guys back? At least we would be positioning ourselves to go into a much needed rebuild. Plus, it would have placed us into the Bedard sweepstakes.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Why let Malkin walk? He's been like their second best player this year. He's gonna give the team like 80ish points at 6M. That's a deal.

The rest... sure... hell with them.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Too late now, bed's made for another few years. People make a big deal about the potential cap space this summer but we all know it's gonna be used to keep Jarry, Zucker and Dumo around. We're fooling ourselves if we don't think so. Besides, who the hell is there to throw money at in FA anyway? Like I said before, people are tagging Jarry and Bunting potentially hitting the open market as the big fish of this summer. f***ing yikes. :laugh:

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Why let Malkin walk? He's been like their second best player this year. He's gonna give the team like 80ish points at 6M. That's a deal.

The rest... sure... hell with them.
remake the franchise altogether.

Too late now, bed's made for another few years. People make a big deal about the potential cap space this summer but we all know it's gonna be used to keep Jarry, Zucker and Dumo around. We're fooling ourselves if we don't think so. Besides, who the hell is there to throw money at in FA anyway? Like I said before, people are tagging Jarry and Bunting potentially hitting the open market as the big fish of this summer. f***ing yikes. :laugh:
Yep, our bed is made. And I agree with all the above is Hextall is retained.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
any contract is movable provided you can get the player to agree & a trading partner willing to accept a deal. Granlund does not have any clause in his contract regarding movement, so he is fair game. Jake is a movable asset, but they should have started the process last offseason & let everyone walk. Geno, Tanger, Rust, Rakell, Kapanen, Carter, the whole lot of them. They listened to Sid way too much on that. Yes, the team would have been horrible this year, but tell me, is it really any better bringing those guys back? At least we would be positioning ourselves to go into a much needed rebuild. Plus, it would have placed us into the Bedard sweepstakes.
I was a proponent of letting Malkin and Kapanen walk of that list while moving Carter if possible for whatever you could get. But then again I also wanted the Pens to sign Donskoi instead of Tanev a few years ago and that's aged like milk too... That's why the Pens take my money instead of give me money I guess.

Reactions: edog37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad