TSN: Pens waive DeSmith, Keep Jarry

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
tenor.gif

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Yea, I'm not about to lose sleep over this. I was never that high on CDS, and I don't think the difference between him and Jarry is that big of a difference.

Ideally I'd take on a backup that's maybe a little overpaid, but better than CDS and Jarry. JJ and one of Jarry/CDS for an established backup would work for me.

Allen, Raanta/Kuemper, Condon, Khudobin, Bernier, Nilsson to name a few off the top of my head.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

RSPens

May 25, 2015
What I don't understand is that if this was the move they were going to make, why didn't they do it when they sent the bulk of the other players down. It is much easier to clear waivers when there a bunch of players on waivers at the same time. Oh well, I guess they were still hopeful to get a trade done before today and obviously that's not happening. I still would like to see JJ on waivers next, but for some reason this team is giving him way too much leash.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
What I don't understand is that if this was the move they were going to make, why didn't they do it when they sent the bulk of the other players down. It is much easier to clear waivers when there a bunch of players on waivers at the same time. Oh well, I guess they were still hopeful to get a trade done before today and obviously that's not happening. I still would like to see JJ on waivers next, but for some reason this team is giving him way too much leash.

There's still a pretty good chance DeSmith clears waivers. And even if he doesn't, losing him isn't worth getting worked up over.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
One of the lesser talked about failures of Rutherford's time is his inability to find a back up. He was fortunate with Fleury/Murray. Zatkoff was internal and meh. Greiss was bad. Niemi was an abysmal failure. DeSmith and Jarry have been meh and internal from before him. Shero had faults but he was good at finding back ups for a reasonable price. Then again part of the issue with signing contracts like Johnson's and Tanev's is that you can't afford a better back up. It's all connected.

Reactions: StaalForOne

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
There's still a pretty good chance DeSmith clears waivers. And even if he doesn't, losing him isn't worth getting worked up over.
Yeah Desmith is very overrated here... he was a borderline prospect that had a great year, but i mean watching him there really isn’t anything special and he does panic flop a lot more than we talk about here... I think they overstepped giving him that contract last year... I doubt that he is claimed, and if he is there seems to be backup goalies available all the time through the season if it comes to that.... i wish him well... don’t get me wrong, he is ok... just he isn’t a starter... and backups aren’t worth having to deal assets to get compliant

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Remember when Gustavsson was the next hot thing and we were all mad he got traded? I just caught up on his stats and they're pretty... well... not good. I don't follow the AHL enough to know how Belleville is, but dude's posting an .827 IN THE ECHL.

Yikes.

Reactions: Dominance

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
This means the Pens don't have a goalie trade that they think they can complete before 5pm tomorrow, by which time they have to be down to 23 players on the roster and be cap compliant. In order to send someone down, they'd have to have already cleared waivers, so they had to put one of the goalies on waivers today.

Now, add in that they might not be certain they can complete a cap-clearing move before 5pm tomorrow, and they end up with a need to clear extra cap space as well.

Jarry is less likely to clear waivers, due to age, cap hit, and draft status (yes, draft status is silly to count here, because it shouldn't matter anymore after a few years of pro experience, but it still affects the way at least some GMs evaluate prospects). Combine that with DeSmith providing extra room under the cap, just in case, and it isn't surprising that they put DeSmith on waivers right now.

One thing to note: they'll only be cap compliant so long as Rust ends up on LTIR. Which means they'll need to make a cap-clearing move before he could come back. Realistically, that means they've got to have some sort of cap move they're working on right now, which will either get completed before 5pm tomorrow, or sometime before Rust is back from injury. They have no other choice. This waiver move just gives them a little bit more time, if they need it, in order to get a deal done.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I want the Pens to pick up Ho Sang. Also Jarry and Desmith were on par with each other in camp and preseason. Anyone paying any attention also read that JR felt they spent a lot of time and money in developing Jarry and were ok keeping all 3 up to find a solution.

Comrie was also rumoured to be dealt to the avs so the Pens are trying to sneak in a more expensive option and older one hoping the distraction of Comrie and Forsberg let's CDS slide thru.

Reactions: Dominance

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
One of the lesser talked about failures of Rutherford's time is his inability to find a back up. He was fortunate with Fleury/Murray. Zatkoff was internal and meh. Greiss was bad. Niemi was an abysmal failure. DeSmith and Jarry have been meh and internal from before him. Shero had faults but he was good at finding back ups for a reasonable price. Then again part of the issue with signing contracts like Johnson's and Tanev's is that you can't afford a better back up. It's all connected.

Really? DeSmith was internal, but he has been pretty solid overall. Why should JR have gone chasing for a different back up when he had 2 internal options?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wow..I guess no JJ trade...why haven’t they waived JJ?

I think it's more so a matter of Rutherford being able to point to the cap saying "I don't NEED to do this... I would just LIKE to do this" as a way to try and keep the deal to something he's comfortable with. CDS down and Jarry up allows him to do that.

That said, I'm surprised.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They're....literally doing that right now while two other goalies are on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad