TSN: Pens waive DeSmith, Keep Jarry

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
https://www.tsn.ca/penguins-waive-casey-desmith-keep-tristan-jarry-on-the-23-man-roster-1.1374047

The Pittsburgh Penguins placed goaltender on waivers Monday, leaving and
on the 23-man roster.
Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford said during the off-season he was looking to move Tristan Jerry, but was unable to find a trade partner and noted last week he was still open to moving a netminder.

DeSmith, 28, posted a 15-11-5 record last season with a .916 save percentage and a 2.75 goals-against average. He carries a $1.25 million cap hit on the three-year contract extension he signed in January
Jarry, 24, appeared in just two games with the Penguins last season, going 0-1-1 while allowing seven goals on 62 shots (.887 save percentage). He is scheduled to become a restricted free agent next summer, carries a cap hit of just $675,000.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only reason I'm iffy on this is because it makes me skeptical that we're going to see a Johnson trade today. I think it's ultimately a good decision to keep Jarry over DeSmith, but that's because I think DeSmith has a better chance of sneaking through waivers.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
I know most people will be against it, but I would rather have Jarry than DeSmith. It saves a bit of salary, and I am still not 100% sold on DeSmith being good backup, unless he plays many games in a row. When he has to start here and there, his numbers dip a bit. If Jarry craps the bed, he can be sent down most likely, as no one will pick him up, and DeSmith can be brought back up. Odd were better than Jarry would be plucked off wavers than DeSmith, with Jarry being 5 years younger.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
The only reason I'm iffy on this is because it makes me skeptical that we're going to see a Johnson trade today. I think it's ultimately a good decision to keep Jarry over DeSmith, but that's because I think DeSmith has a better chance of sneaking through waivers.

The negative I see is that JJ probably not going anywhere soon, I agree.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Weird, I guess DeSmith might not get claimed given he's signed for 3 years,

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Wouldn't this make sense as a precursor to a Johnson trade? Keep Jarry up here so he doesn't get claimed. Assuming DeSmith clears, trade Jarry+JJ for whatever and bring DeSmith back up

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I would think Guerin would claim Desmith. Stalock is terrible and the Wild have the cap space. It would be a nice upgrade for the Wild IMO.

Considering Murray's injury history its likely that Jarry will have to be the starter for some length of time during the season, that worries me because I haven't seen anything from Jarry that makes be believe he could be the number 1 goalie for an extended period of time.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Pens won't sink or swim with either so I'm fine with this. It all comes down to whether or not they want to play D this year. I've never been high on DeSmith but he's been better than Jarry. Jarry has a higher ceiling. Meh, again, neither make or break the season.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
With our cap situation and the term of Desmiths contract, this makes a lot of sense. It's not ideal, but it's understandable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad