Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Wings | OTL | Jake shakes for everyone!

Best dipping sauce for chicken nuggets

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
sid produces tho. You can’t have your 4th line takin penalties. You just can’t. That loses you games. Sid will get it back Simon won’t. Simon also have half the icetime as Sid. Simon should be bench for taking penalties. His penalty created the tying goal.

Well no, you don't want your 4th line taking penalties. I just don't think it's a worse sin than committed by half the line up tonight. One big mistake does not outweigh countless little ones. You gonna bench every forward that deserved it, you're going to end up with two lines.

Actually being kinda cynical but given how the NHL likes to keep penalties even, and given the respective strength of this time at PP, PK, and 5v5 right now, maybe they should be taking a ton of penalties so we get make up PP calls. Tampa style.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Well no, you don't want your 4th line taking penalties. I just don't think it's a worse sin than committed by half the line up tonight. One big mistake does not outweigh countless little ones. You gonna bench every forward that deserved it, you're going to end up with two lines.

Actually being kinda cynical but given how the NHL likes to keep penalties even, and given the respective strength of this time at PP, PK, and 5v5 right now, maybe they should be taking a ton of penalties so we get make up PP calls. Tampa style.
Our fourth liners are actually AHL fourth line players. They should not get any sort of leash.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
As I said, maybe find out a little about the possibilities of peak performance rather than proudly waving your ignorance all over the place.

My man you're being obtuse. I fear you're trying to argue something with me that's aside from what I'm saying.

Fans like to use the excuse for a loss "they were just tired". Every NHL team goes through back to backs and a rigorous schedule. We didn't lose because we were tired is my whole point.

Matheson's blunder...was that from fatigue?
Simon's hook...fatigue?

It's a lazy excuse. I shouldn't need to explain this though....

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

sure but started by benching someone to send a message. Why was Simon Promoted after this? Had kap committed that error he wouldn’t have seen ice in the 3rd. Sullivan is not fair with his accountability and never has been

Reactions: Flying Dego

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Sullivan is in the same realm as Jarry for me.

prove it in playoffs. He has done an amazing job with injuries but needs to prove he can manage a healthy team as well,

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
sure but started by benching someone to send a message. Why was Simon Promoted after this? Had kap committed that error he wouldn’t have seen ice in the 3rd. Sullivan is not fair with his accountability and never has been

The line shuffle happened at the start of the 2nd and before the penalty, no?

And yeah, Sully's not completely fair... but I'd also argue that given his history and quotes, what earns the benching generally isn't big mistakes, it's an accumulation of small mistakes. You make one big mistake but are doing the small things right, maybe you can get it back. You keep making the small mistakes, you're probably not going to make a positive impact. And I'm guessing it's the standard set out in the room.

Also... tbh, what message we think he should be trying to send here? That you must absolutely give your best performance in a borderline irrelevant game, even if it wears down your fitness? Make absolutely no mistakes, which stifles creativity and playing with an edge?

Way I see it, if Mike Sullivan is demanding perfection now he's not going to get it in the playoffs. Physically and mentally, they can't sustain perfection for the next 65 games. His job right now is a balancing act between not letting too many bad habits creep in and not burning them out. Going hard on the collective on a back to back at the end of January? I don't think that's actually productive for him and I don't think the gain is worth it. The one point squandered tonight is unlikely to affect our playoff odds very much.

If this was March and we were 20 games from the playoffs, I'd feel different.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The line shuffle happened at the start of the 2nd and before the penalty, no?

And yeah, Sully's not completely fair... but I'd also argue that given his history and quotes, what earns the benching generally isn't big mistakes, it's an accumulation of small mistakes. You make one big mistake but are doing the small things right, maybe you can get it back. You keep making the small mistakes, you're probably not going to make a positive impact. And I'm guessing it's the standard set out in the room.

Also... tbh, what message we think he should be trying to send here? That you must absolutely give your best performance in a borderline irrelevant game, even if it wears down your fitness? Make absolutely no mistakes, which stifles creativity and playing with an edge?

Way I see it, if Mike Sullivan is demanding perfection now he's not going to get it in the playoffs. Physically and mentally, they can't sustain perfection for the next 65 games. His job right now is a balancing act between not letting too many bad habits creep in and not burning them out. Going hard on the collective on a back to back at the end of January? I don't think that's actually productive for him and I don't think the gain is worth it. The one point squandered tonight is unlikely to affect our playoff odds very much.

If this was March and we were 20 games from the playoffs, I'd feel different.
He’s clearly not demanding perfection from everyone when clowns on the fourth line continue to play every game.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As I’ve said to you for years. In season changes like you want rarely work out.

I’m sure we could get Palmieri though.

The Pens have been f***ed since October so no point in even trying to make deadline acquisitions.

giphy.gif

Palmieri has been stank though, no doubt about that.

It really doesn't matter when you get a player. We've only made one real high-end deadline acquisition before, and it changed the Pens from a playoff early exit to a Finals team. It's about whether the player is good and the right fit. The Pens haven't traded for many high end forwards during the Crosby era - I'm talking definitively better than Brassard - but it usually works out pretty well when they do...so long as the coach doesn't play them in an entirely new and unfamiliar position.

Off-season, deadline - doesn't matter.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Missed the game, had one of the worst migranes I have ever had in my life...felt on the verge of going to the hospital but it's gone now. Hey look at that, lost the game but we are now 1st in the division!

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Gotta tell ya my least favorite excuse seen here:

"They were just tired"

We're talking about professional athletes in peak condition. Maybe I'm just being too hard on people that's entire job revolves around conditioning.
I heard that no other team in the NHL gets tired or has injuries. It's just the Pens and it's not fair!

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Don’t bother trying, bud. The Pens can lose their next 10 straight, but their hot streak in January will be mentioned over and over.
Oh I know. Hell, people still bring up the Cups as an excuse for a shit game. I have no idea how the hell a Cup in 2017 changes the fact that the Pens just lost two games to shit teams, but I'm sure half this board could tell you.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
You and @Ragamuffin Gunner have honestly just been begging for something like this to happen.

I have no idea why you’re upset the team you said sucked all summer and fell asleep at the wheel is in 2nd place in the conference.

Let’s see how they do against the contenders next month. If they still play like this we can beat them up.
Being realistic is not the same as hoping for them to lose.

It's been all roses around here during this streak, but to pretend that they haven't gotten away with bad games due to TJ or playing truly bad teams is just putting your head in the sand.

The reason I get so pissed when they throw away points and play like garbage is that I know it's gonna hurt their seed and bite them in the ass come PO time. The difference between 1st in the Metro and facing TB or CAR as a wild card is gonna be like 5 points. These points and games matter.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Pens have been f***ed since October so no point in even trying to make deadline acquisitions.

giphy.gif

Palmieri has been stank though, no doubt about that.

It really doesn't matter when you get a player. We've only made one real high-end deadline acquisition before, and it changed the Pens from a playoff early exit to a Finals team. It's about whether the player is good and the right fit. The Pens haven't traded for many high end forwards during the Crosby era - I'm talking definitively better than Brassard - but it usually works out pretty well when they do...so long as the coach doesn't play them in an entirely new and unfamiliar position.

Off-season, deadline - doesn't matter.

That’s because high end forwards don’t get moved.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Being realistic is not the same as hoping for them to lose.

It's been all roses around here during this streak, but to pretend that they haven't gotten away with bad games due to TJ or playing truly bad teams is just putting your head in the sand.

The reason I get so pissed when they throw away points and play like garbage is that I know it's gonna hurt their seed and bite them in the ass come PO time. The difference between 1st in the Metro and facing TB or CAR as a wild card is gonna be like 5 points. These points and games matter.

Well good thing with a win on Sunday we are 3 points above the Rags and 6 points above the Caps.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
Hey guys just a heads up, im in the market to buy a majority stake of an NHL team. Once this goes through in the next 10 years I will be hiring Ragamuffin as GM. illpucks will be named President of Hockey Operations. We will proudly hold the record for worst record ever in the NHLs history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad