Pre-Game Talk: Pens vs Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
Will HCMJ bench Scuderi?
Will the anchor that is Chris Kunitz finally sink to the bottom of the lineup?
Will the Penguins score 3 goals?

Find out tonight! :popcorn:

For the record, I think we tighten up and win a 2-1 game for our first win of the season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No to all of the above. We may win this one since the Sens D isn't good and their goaltending is shoddy, but their offense is on fire right now. If we can't score 3 goals tonight, we won't win.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Got a feeling we win big. I don't know why, but it's just a gut feeling.

We're gonna score a bunch of goals, our offense/PP will finally click, and the media/casual fans will go "HEY LOOK, THEY'RE SUPER GOOD!"

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Got a feeling we win big. I don't know why, but it's just a gut feeling.

We're gonna score a bunch of goals, our offense/PP will finally click, and the media/casual fans will go "HEY LOOK, THEY'RE SUPER GOOD!"

They're the model of inconsistency so it wouldn't be surprising. Also, law of averages is in their favor :golfnana:

Gonna stick with my own gut though: Lose tonight, win vs Toronto.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Will HCMJ bench Scuderi?
Will the anchor that is Chris Kunitz finally sink to the bottom of the lineup?
Will the Penguins score 3 goals?

Find out tonight! :popcorn:

For the record, I think we tighten up and win a 2-1 game for our first win of the season.

Spoilers

1: No
2: No
3: Unlikely, but you can never discount the possibility of scoring 3+ because of lucky bounces.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
They played last night and Anderson will likely start again (I think Hammond is hurt) so those things are in our favor. Of course I think Arizona played in Dallas the night before we played them :shakehead

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
i think we'll win this. but another loss would definitely put MJ in more hot water. i like that better.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've decided to just watch out of morbid curiosity at this point, I think. Ya know... for the comedy.

How much worse can Crosby and Malkin look? Is it possible?

How many times will Kunitz single-handedly stymie the brief gasps of offense the first line does manage to accidentally create here and there? How many times for Scuderi with his linemate Malkin?

How many times can the first of the two ****-units on the powerplay actually make it into the offensive zone to set the table? If they do... can they pass it at least fifteen straight times without shooting it? After they've spent 1:30 doing that... can the second of the two ****-units manage to turn the puck over in frustration once for every five meager seconds they actually got on the ice? Can Rick Tocchet explain in complete sentences what his job entails to Dan Potash at intermission? When he can't... will the inevitable grunts and gestures suffice to get the point across?

Will Daniel Sprong break that coveted five minute mark of even strength ice time? How many more games can he go without demanding to be sent back to juniors?

How many fruit flies (per period) can Mike Johnston catch in his cluelessly agape mouth?

So many interesting bylines, lately, guys.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
It would be nice to see some reasonable adjustments from the coaching staff: putting Maatta with Letang to regain his confidence, benching Scuderi, playing Clendening and Dumoulin, trying Bennett on Crosby's LW, playing Kunitz on the third line, giving the loaded up power play more game time to practice.

It seems as though Johnston has changed the defensive zone system. Last year the team played a low-zone collapse with minor variations before moving to a half-ice overload. It doesn't seem as though either of these coverage schemes are being used this year. Any thoughts?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This team tonight is more like the Stars than structured clubs like Arizona and Montreal. We lost to all three teams, though.

I'd be satisfied with another loss IF we can see major offensive improvements. I just assume we'll give up goals at this point, but not scoring is unacceptable.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I see lower bowl tickets on stub hub for $47 each. So those that say tickets are too high (and THEY ARE). now is a good time to get in at a great price.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
It would be nice to see some reasonable adjustments from the coaching staff: putting Maatta with Letang to regain his confidence, benching Scuderi, playing Clendening and Dumoulin, trying Bennett on Crosby's LW, playing Kunitz on the third line, giving the loaded up power play more game time to practice.

It seems as though Johnston has changed the defensive zone system. Last year the team played a low-zone collapse with minor variations before moving to a half-ice overload. It doesn't seem as though either of these coverage schemes are being used this year. Any thoughts?

This is so needed it's not funny. They have these D pairings as screwed up as they could possibly be in order to try to cover for Scuds and LJ.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
This team tonight is more like the Stars than structured clubs like Arizona and Montreal. We lost to all three teams, though.

I'd be satisfied with another loss IF we can see major offensive improvements. I just assume we'll give up goals at this point, but not scoring is unacceptable.

Pretty much where I've been at for months. It's inevitable that we're gonna give up several goals a game with our blueline, but we've gotta find a way to score with this group of forwards.

I know the transition from defense to offense suffers immensely with our personnel, and that greatly affects our offensive ability, but there's no way we should be scoring at a one goal per game clip with these forwards.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Sens are playing pretty well right now, they housed CBJ last night. Hoffman-Turris-Stone are really clicking right now and Karlsson is on fire. Pens better score 4 tonight if they expect to win.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
I think Sprong needs to be given a quick cup of coffee with Sid and Kessel. They need someone on that line that can go to the net with a little bit of skill since Sid doesn't anymore. Sid needs to play low on the PP, not the half wall, where he is of no threat to any team but his own (turnovers). Sid is the best grinder, puck possession player in the league, but he seems to have lost that part of his game. All he does now is gain the zone, pull up, and look for trailers. No driving to the net hard, or trying to split defenders. Until he starts embracing the things he is good at I'm expecting the same mediocrity from the whole team.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I like Sprong, and wouldn't mind him in the top-6, but not as a "go to the net" kind of guy. I think he'd work well opposite Plotnikov or Hornqvist (if he could make the switch to LW).

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I think getting the loaded up power play some practice and game time is important.

Split units looked ok, but the team could be dangerous if they have multiple options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad