Post-Game Talk: Pens Vs Sens Game 3 OT Plus/Minus

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Dressing injured/ill player < Dressing Tanner Glass. Which is what the media's been telling us.

Bylsma doesn't want to comment on possible injuries on the roster. Cue your screed.

Frankly, I don't care if you're particularly entitled feeling or not. But there's a lot of entitlement and whinging here when another team wins a hard fought DOUBLE OT game.

You know, there's a reason there's a lot of negative stereotypes of us Pens fans, and not all of them are undeserved. But keep beating your horses.

Look no further than the reaction to getting Iginla for evidence of this. The amount of "he sucks" and "disappointing" posts about a guy with 10pts in 9 games, who's not even playing his natural position, should tell you all you need to know.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Dressing injured/ill player < Dressing Tanner Glass. Which is what the media's been telling us.

Bylsma doesn't want to comment on possible injuries on the roster. Cue your screed.

Frankly, I don't care if you're particularly entitled feeling or not. But there's a lot of entitlement and whinging here when another team wins a hard fought DOUBLE OT game.

You know, there's a reason there's a lot of negative stereotypes of us Pens fans, and not all of them are undeserved. But keep beating your horses.

Not that I disagree with your overall sentiment, but are Bennett and Jeffrey injured or ill? Because they are better hockey players than Tanner Glass.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Look no further than the reaction to getting Iginla for evidence of this. The amount of "he sucks" and "disappointing" posts about a guy with 10pts in 9 games, who's not even playing his natural position, should tell you all you need to know.

I have to say, I dont dislike the guy but how has he not been a disappointment. At least in his 5 on 5 play.

I still have hope though, looks like he played a little better the last two games.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I have to say, I dont dislike the guy but how has he not been a disappointment. At least in his 5 on 5 play.

I still have hope though, looks like he played a little better the last two games.

Again, the guy is 35 years old and producing at over a point per game while not even being used in his natural position. Production is still production. Not every "star" takes over games like Crosby/Malkin do. I mean, I don't know what some people were expecting, but he's not the 25 year old that won the Rocket Richard anymore. We got him to be a complementary player and for his veteran presence, not to carry the team through the playoffs.

Is he capable of playing better? Yeah, I think so and I think he'll get there. A lot of that hinges on the team using him properly and finding some stability in the lines. But really, he's the least of our worries.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Again, the guy is 35 years old and producing at over a point per game while not even being used in his natural position. Production is still production. Not every "star" takes over games like Crosby/Malkin do. I mean, I don't know what some people were expecting, but he's not the 25 year old that won the Rocket Richard anymore. We got him to be a complementary player and for his veteran presence, not to carry the team through the playoffs.

Is he capable of playing better? Yeah, I think so and I think he'll get there. A lot of that hinges on the team using him properly and finding some stability in the lines. But really, he's the least of our worries.

FYI, there's a big difference between saying 'he sucks' and saying he's not getting it done at 5 on 5 but that's in good part due to a coach setting him up to fail.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Do people realize how good our defense and goaltending was last night? Even our offense was tremendous. Lot of people are going nuts over 1 loss. We should have won, but oh well.

Cole, if the defense and goaltending is like it was in game three, the Pens don't lose a 7 game series against anyone in the east. And, if they can get the top two lines figured out-- not Sid or Geno, the lines-- I'm not sure they lose a 7 game series against anyone.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not that I disagree with your overall sentiment, but are Bennett and Jeffrey injured or ill? Because they are better hockey players than Tanner Glass.

No question there, but Bennett is not particularly suited to 4th line play and has had some brain farts in the playoffs (which is to be expected of a rookie). Jeffery would be a better choice, maybe, but Glass is slightly bigger and, like it or not, slightly more physical.

Glass isn't great by any means, but in some sense, I get why he's in the line-up and BB isn't. Jeffery you could make a better claim for, but the original complaint was about Juice, who Pittsburgh media mentioned numerous times wasn't "healthy" for whatever reason for game 3. Furthermore, we're talking about playing both Jeffery and BB on the 4th line here, which are not ideal locations for either.

In the end, you can disagree with Bylsma's choice to ice Glass and for a few good reasons, but to act like it's some insane no-brain decision for anyone to even consider it is a bit histrionic.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Josh Yohe was on the FAN, and mentioned what many are saying in this thread. Get Iginla off the Malkin line. And mentioned what other media types have mentioned, that Sid is most likely calling his shots on who he plays with. And that he wants to play with Dupers and Kunitz.

That's actually a problem, because what's best for Sid and what's best for the team aren't the same thing in this instance.

Some posts are bang on about the media's recognition of some of DB's shortcomings. A lot of the guys on Twitter point out some obvious stuff, but never challenge DB at any pressers. It's infuriating.

Works that way in most cities, especially Pittsburgh. And, it's even worse with the other sports. Compared to the Steelers media, for example, Rossi and Yohe are Woodward and Bernstein.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Cole, if the defense and goaltending is like it was in game three, the Pens don't lose a 7 game series against anyone in the east. And, if they can get the top two lines figured out-- not Sid or Geno, the lines-- I'm not sure they lose a 7 game series against anyone.

This is precisely it. KIRK hit the nail on the head on this one.

Qualms with Bylsma aside, there's absolutely no shame in losing an insane goalie duel while playing an overall very good game, if the Pens can keep it up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is precisely it. KIRK hit the nail on the head on this one.

Qualms with Bylsma aside, there's absolutely no shame in losing an insane goalie duel while playing an overall very good game, if the Pens can keep it up.

****, I'll go one further. I'll take the Malkin and Letang from game three to boot. I've now heard 100 theories on what happened and how to allocate blame for the breakdown. Malkin and Letang obviously played a big part in that. BUT, those two were nuts on Sunday otherwise.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
How Iginla/Malkin/Neal defends is reason enough to break them up. They're hot garbage in their own end.

Actually, Malkin has been really good when playing with those two in his own end this series. As a line, however, they definitely suck defensively.

Theres tons of evidence as to why Iginla shouldn't even be in our top 6. Even if Crosby is calling the shots, wanting Kunitz on his line, it doesn't mean DB has to play Iginla on Malkin's line.

But like i said, they aren't playing terrible 5on5. So i don't see DB changing much of the roster.

Sid is calling the shots on his linemates or Bylsma thinking its a bright idea doesn't excuse THAT. Given a Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line, there is NO worse place to put Iginla than on Malkin and Neal's LW. One, he's playing LW. Two, he is NOT the complement Malkin and Neal need. It's sad . . . he values Sid's comfort above Iginla and rightfully so. But, he won't afford Malkin the same courtesy as a coach. Either that or he sees no value in giving Malkin and Neal the best possible complement out of the available or left over options.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't know why DB changed his winning lineup for Game 3. Either it is DB looking further ahead than this series and wants to get those two players icetime or he underestimated his opponent. Either way, it was Mark Eaton picking up his stick when Greening scored.

I don't understand why you would not want Engelland on the ice anyways, I know you guys think he is not very good but he is a very tough player in a series where Neil will take someone's head off. With Craig Adams giving what Spezza called " the hardest hit of his career" you have to think that Pittsburgh's stars will be subjected to the same treatment.

Although I cannot recall Sid every putting himself in a position to get hit hard.

On the plus side Malkin was Pitt's best player, a true star and his deke in 1st OT had me keeled over. I think Pitt did a real good job of keeping Ottawa out of the slot, a very determined bunch that really played a heck of a game, again.

There you guys go again, with the lines obsession. A major screw up with 30 secs left in the 3rd had nothing to do with the lines, just a mental lapse starting with Kunitz and ending with Letang. A great shot.

Looking forward to Game 4.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Everyone keeps assuming that Glass played over Jokinen because Jokinen is hurt, something that I think is not supported by any available evidence. Jokinen played in games 2-4 after that Reasoner hit and there was little evidence that he was injured. He's practiced ever since then and hasn't, to my knowledge, missed a single day of practice. Now, the day after the Pens struggle on faceoffs without Vitale, suddenly he's mentioned as a candidate to play by Bylsma. I'd suggest it's far more likely that Bylsma realized that, despite the fact that Jokinen is much better suited for top-6 play, he still brings more to the table than Tanner Freaking Glass...something he should have realized before Game 3.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know why DB changed his winning lineup for Game 3. Either it is DB looking further ahead than this series and wants to get those two players icetime or he underestimated his opponent. Either way, it was Mark Eaton picking up his stick when Greening scored.

I don't understand why you would not want Engelland on the ice anyways, I know you guys think he is not very good but he is a very tough player in a series where Neil will take someone's head off. With Craig Adams giving what Spezza called " the hardest hit of his career" you have to think that Pittsburgh's stars will be subjected to the same treatment.

Although I cannot recall Sid every putting himself in a position to get hit hard.

On the plus side Malkin was Pitt's best player, a true star and his deke in 1st OT had me keeled over. I think Pitt did a real good job of keeping Ottawa out of the slot, a very determined bunch that really played a heck of a game, again.

There you guys go again, with the lines obsession. A major screw up with 30 secs left in the 3rd had nothing to do with the lines, just a mental lapse starting with Kunitz and ending with Letang. A great shot.

Looking forward to Game 4.

Because Engo has been a complete liability out there perhaps?

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

Ah, the great Chris Neil. So glad that it wasn't enough that he's deified on the Ottawa board and the series board that he's now being touted as a reason to play an inferior player just to protect the poor little Penguins from that big bad man.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Everyone keeps assuming that Glass played over Jokinen because Jokinen is hurt, something that I think is not supported by any available evidence. Jokinen played in games 2-4 after that Reasoner hit and there was little evidence that he was injured. He's practiced ever since then and hasn't, to my knowledge, missed a single day of practice. Now, the day after the Pens struggle on faceoffs without Vitale, suddenly he's mentioned as a candidate to play by Bylsma. I'd suggest it's far more likely that Bylsma realized that, despite the fact that Jokinen is much better suited for top-6 play, he still brings more to the table than Tanner Freaking Glass...something he should have realized before Game 3.

I think that some people only assume that because the only alternative is to assume that Bylsma is a moron when it comes to lineup and lines decisions, as if there's no anecdotal evidence to support that possible explanation. ;)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Ah, the great Chris Neil. So glad that it wasn't enough that he's deified on the Ottawa board and the series board that he's now being touted as a reason to play an inferior player just to protect the poor little Penguins from that big bad man.

Ouch . . . and yes.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

It seems to have worked over the last 80 years

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
i disagree

you dont want to be screwing around like that right by your own net

Standing behind your net with the puck is not screwing around. The Sens had a very weak forecheck and Letang skated it out for no reason. I'm not saying play around with it in your zone for no reason, but the longer you can keep it back there the better.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Standing behind your net with the puck is not screwing around. The Sens had a very weak forecheck and Letang skated it out for no reason. I'm not saying play around with it in your zone for no reason, but the longer you can keep it back there the better.

I put this in another thread. I'll put it here too:

Exactly. There was absolutely no reason for our normal PP to be out there. We didn't need a goal, we needed to prevent one. Even worse is the fact that Bylsma had them dump the puck in (an important part of the game that he never, ever uses) instead of controlling it--you know, since we had the extra man and all.

Apparently he was too busy working on his country club member renewal in 09 and didn't take noted from a real coach in Babcock.

Babcock would've put out his five best puck possession guys. They'd have FORCED the Senators to try to get the puck. The only time they would've crossed the blueline is 2 on 1 or 3 on 2. And, the only shot they'd have taken was a glorious scoring chance. Otherwise, when the Senators rushed back, they'd have just fired the puck all the way back to a defenseman. I'll bet Anderson never would've had a chance to leave the net.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Speak for yourself.

You know, Ottawa scored on its third zone entry on that PK. Anyone remember why they didn't get in the first two times? Here's a hint: Russian stereotype stood up at the Pens blueline and took away the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad