Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Sens: fought back for a point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Tocchet is doing a good job this season but prior to this season a head coach he missed the playoffs in 6 of his 7 seasons behind the bench. I think people are being a bit blinded by one season of head coaching success when treating him as this unassailable savior.

Maybe he's figured it out though. Sometimes it does take coaches a while to do that.

I honestly don't know who I'd want as a head coach if Sully got shitcanned. Gallant is infamous for not having much of a system and for basically being a motivator. That could either be wildly successful here or an utter failure. Woodcroft seemed decent in Edmonton but who wouldn't when coaching the two best players in the world? Tocch is doing well in Vancouver but whether or not he'd fit here who can say.

I always liked Boudreau as well. Comes across as quite thoughtful whenever I hear him talk as a commentator and imo he did a good job with Washington and it wasn't his fault they repeatedly failed.

After this long with Sully I'd take just about anyone else though.

I'm not entirely convinced Tocchet is anything but benefiting from a coaching change/style while having some good to great talent already in place with Pettersson, JT Miller, Hughes, Boeser and Kuzmenko.

At best, he's probably just allowing them to play to their strengths which, to be fair, seems to be a pretty exceptional quality for a coach nowadays in the NHL. :laugh:
Bruh you read my mind. I guess we typed up more or less the same post but you got yours in while I was trying to shake my brain loose to get my thoughts out :laugh:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Tocchet is doing a good job this season but prior to this season a head coach he missed the playoffs in 6 of his 7 seasons behind the bench. I think people are being a bit blinded by one season of head coaching success when treating him as this unassailable savior.

Maybe he's figured it out though. Sometimes it does take coaches a while to do that.

I honestly don't know who I'd want as a head coach if Sully got shitcanned. Gallant is infamous for not having much of a system and for basically being a motivator. That could either be wildly successful here or an utter failure. Woodcroft seemed decent in Edmonton but who wouldn't when coaching the two best players in the world? Tocch is doing well in Vancouver but whether or not he'd fit here who can say.

I always liked Boudreau as well. Comes across as quite thoughtful whenever I hear him talk as a commentator and imo he did a good job with Washington and it wasn't his fault they repeatedly failed.

After this long with Sully I'd take just about anyone else though.

Bruh you read my mind. I guess we typed up more or less the same post but you got yours in while I was trying to shake my brain loose to get my thoughts out :laugh:
Buddy when you're thinking on the same wavelength as me, it might be time to give your head a shake and go for a walk. I'm a f***ing moron. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Pancakes

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At best, he's probably just allowing them to play to their strengths which, to be fair, seems to be a pretty exceptional quality for a coach nowadays in the NHL. :laugh:
I mean, the bolded accounts for like 90% of the issue with how Sullivan coaches this roster.

In some ways, it's easier to get an X's and O's guys as an assist coach (Jacque Martin always seems to resurface). I'd like a head coach who actually puts players in a position to succeed. Sullivan does the complete opposite of that.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, the bolded accounts for like 90% of the issue with how Sullivan coaches this roster.

In some ways, it's easier to get an X's and O's guys as an assist coach (Jacque Martin always seems to resurface). I'd like a head coach who actually puts players in a position to succeed. Sullivan does the complete opposite of that.
I don't really even think this roster has a strength to play to tbh. :laugh: Which goes back to Sullivan's influence each summer when the team brings in guys with no specialized skills or ability beyond "can barely play at an NHL level".

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I have no clue what to think of the game against Ottawa :\. You would have thought we could pick up 2 easy points, but no of course not...why would we do that?

We would rather sit comfortably 5 points out of a wildcard spot...I swear man :rant:.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not entirely convinced Tocchet is anything but benefiting from a coaching change/style while having some good to great talent already in place with Pettersson, JT Miller, Hughes, Boeser and Kuzmenko.

Nah that’s bs. That was valid last year when he took over and the season ended. This year with a full camp, add ons he’s wanted and his system now in play - it’s working and it’s not some bs excuse and that is the point of coaching isn’t it? Playing players to their strengths? Sullivan has consistently done the opposite to a lot of players because he wants them to play the game he feels they should less so what their actual strengths are and there’s so much evidence to support that.

Good coaches know who their players are and use them accordingly.

Bad coaches tell their players who they need to be and use them incorrectly.

Sullivan has been the latter for half a f***ing decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad