Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Sens: fought back for a point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It amazes me that some folks still can't admit that how Sullivan utilizes the bottom six is ridiculous.

Amazing how every bottom six player produces fine before joining the Pens and after they leave, but suddenly "suck offensively" when they're here.

But nah, nothing wrong with how Sullivan uses the lines.
I'm sorry mate. You sound like me now.

I broke you lot.

I legit looked at that post and didn't look at the username and thought I wrote that and was like what when did I post this? Lol

-The usual
-Karlsson hasn't been good lately

+Eller, Rakell and O'Connor scored
+Letang has been good lately
+Going down by two is no longer an automatic regulation loss
+They are getting points

They have NYI x 2, STL, WSH, BOS coming up. Going to be very difficult to get points but who knows with this team.
Split with the Isles, lose to the blues, beat the Caps and lose to the Bruins probably.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He has a cool wwe wrestling name. Ryan Graves. It works.

He looks like he could be Adam Driver's little brother.

He was born in 1995, which is when Collio released Gangsta's Paradise. That's kinda neat.

All I got.

Been spendin' most our lives,
Watchin' Sully's shitshow on the ice.
Watchin' Sully's shitshown on the ice.

Powerplay's not money, because it ain't got the power,
Minute after minute, wastin' hour after hour
Everybody's passin', but all of 'em ain't lookin',
It's going on on the perimeter, but none of them ain't shootin'

Watchin' Sully's shitshow on the ice
Watchin' Sully's shitshow on the ice.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
They showed up only for one period and could have even stolen a win because the Sens are as mentally fragile as we are. So, despite the ending, it feels more like a point won than a point lost. If you show up for only 20 minutes, you will usually lose even against bad teams.

Getting a minute and a half 5 on 3 early on and looking completely lost out there is vintage Penguins hockey. I guess the Puustinen effect has worn off. A gazillion power plays and they had like two good plays (and the goal came from the second unit, of course) until that final one where some scrambled unit finally showed some chemistry but couldn't score.

Pettersson with two good plays on the blue line leading to the two third period goals just goes to show how stupid Graves' modus operandi of "shoot with no traffic" is. He has Karlsson playing with him and a team that it terrible at getting to rebounds or screening goalies and still thinks he should just follow the cliche and put the puck on net. And Karlsson on the PP is making me miss Kris "Can't give a good one-timer pass to save his life" Letang - so many bad decisions, taking too long, flubbed pucks, etc.

The team's general unwillingness to screen goalies is also so annoying. You see someone taking forever to fire a shot and a guy right next to the goalie who doesn't even try to take his eyes away even when there is no D-man actively boxing out. Grandpa Malkin who is playing so badly of late is one of the few who are even trying that kind of thing and that's hardly his forte. Everyone on the opposition teams is on the lookout for deflections from the side of the goal because the Penguins love that play despite scoring only a handful of goals that way. But having Letang and EK65 and loving drop passes to the blue line only to refuse to screen goalies is the definition of galaxy brain move.

At least Rakell scored but if they don't lose both games against the Isles next week I will eat my hat. And why do we always play the Isles after Christmas anyway? ;)

Reactions: Andy99 and vodeni

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Ryan Graves isn't exactly the perfect NHL defenseman, bit LOL @ anyone who seriously thinks he should be scratched for POJ (a dumber and smaller version of Graves with even less physicality). Luckily Sully isn't THAT stupid, and even if he is Graves' contract will keep him in the lineup. The Pens are not known for willingly putting multi-million $ players in the press box.

However the John Ludvig experiment looks like it's on its last legs -- he's been thoroughly vanilla-ized in just a short period of time (bravo, Sully!) and he had the audacity to be assigned a couple of penalties. But the ONLY player who should be going into the defensive lineup, if anyone must, is Ty Smith. It may not be ideal, but go with Smith-Ludvig as the best possible 3rd pair option among numerous combinations that would be even less effective and provide neither offense nor defense.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Malkin is really unplayable in 3x3 at this point, but then again, when your other options are Carter, Eller, and Acciari, unless Sid is playing 5:00 I guess he's getting run.

Graves has reminded me of Jack Johnson since day one. That's not gotten better.

Assume they go back to Jarry at NYI. Ned wasn't awful but I think a game like that was what Sullivan was waiting for.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
In other news...

My Boy Blue seems to have shaken off the Sullivan bs. 12pts in 20 games, that's a good lad.
They all look good after getting out from under Sullys plan ....or lack there of.
Matheson
McCann
Tanev
Blueger
Marino
Rodriguez

Ryan Graves isn't exactly the perfect NHL defenseman, bit LOL @ anyone who seriously thinks he should be scratched for POJ (a dumber and smaller version of Graves with even less physicality). Luckily Sully isn't THAT stupid, and even if he is Graves' contract will keep him in the lineup. The Pens are not known for willingly putting multi-million $ players in the press box.

However the John Ludvig experiment looks like it's on its last legs -- he's been thoroughly vanilla-ized in just a short period of time (bravo, Sully!) and he had the audacity to be assigned a couple of penalties. But the ONLY player who should be going into the defensive lineup, if anyone must, is Ty Smith. It may not be ideal, but go with Smith-Ludvig as the best possible 3rd pair option among numerous combinations that would be even less effective and provide neither offense nor defense.
Graves is terrible. Playing for Sully will only magnify his weaknesses.

Last edited:

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021

When the holiday is over and the roster freeze is done, I'd send Hinostroza and Harkins down and call up Poulin and White.

I'd run the following until Rust and Nieto return.
Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Poulin-Malkin-Zohorna
Smith-Eller-Puustinen
DOC-Acciari-White
Carter
How can Harkins get the record for zero pointsin 67 games if he is sent down?

Hino is 4th on team in pts per 60. He ought to get a better chance. I would send Z down for ‘reset’. He’s been terrible defensively and 0 pts in last 14games. He needs a wake up call.

Puu has earned his spot on L2. Why take him off?

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
So is Malkin just becoming late stage Joe Thornton with a shot?

Both him and Letang are bottom 50 percentile in almost every skating category.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
They showed up only for one period and could have even stolen a win because the Sens are as mentally fragile as we are. So, despite the ending, it feels more like a point won than a point lost. If you show up for only 20 minutes, you will usually lose even against bad teams.

Getting a minute and a half 5 on 3 early on and looking completely lost out there is vintage Penguins hockey. I guess the Puustinen effect has worn off. A gazillion power plays and they had like two good plays (and the goal came from the second unit, of course) until that final one where some scrambled unit finally showed some chemistry but couldn't score.

Pettersson with two good plays on the blue line leading to the two third period goals just goes to show how stupid Graves' modus operandi of "shoot with no traffic" is. He has Karlsson playing with him and a team that it terrible at getting to rebounds or screening goalies and still thinks he should just follow the cliche and put the puck on net. And Karlsson on the PP is making me miss Kris "Can't give a good one-timer pass to save his life" Letang - so many bad decisions, taking too long, flubbed pucks, etc.

The team's general unwillingness to screen goalies is also so annoying. You see someone taking forever to fire a shot and a guy right next to the goalie who doesn't even try to take his eyes away even when there is no D-man actively boxing out. Grandpa Malkin who is playing so badly of late is one of the few who are even trying that kind of thing and that's hardly his forte. Everyone on the opposition teams is on the lookout for deflections from the side of the goal because the Penguins love that play despite scoring only a handful of goals that way. But having Letang and EK65 and loving drop passes to the blue line only to refuse to screen goalies is the definition of galaxy brain move.

At least Rakell scored but if they don't lose both games against the Isles next week I will eat my hat. And why do we always play the Isles after Christmas anyway? ;)
did I miss something, I mean they usually show up only for one period, it just depends on luck how badly they get beat when they don't show up or how much they do when they do show up...and screening the goalie is a thing that definitively crept up into their overall behavior...I hear Sully talking about that all the time, but he can't make them do it? that's puzzling..

So is Malkin just becoming late stage Joe Thornton with a shot?

Both him and Letang are bottom 50 percentile in almost every skating category.
whats wrong with Joe with a shot?

Reactions: PaulD and Andy99

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
did I miss something, I mean they usually show up only for one period, it just depends on luck how badly they get beat when they don't show up or how much they do when they do show up...and screening the goalie is a thing that definitively crept up into their overall behavior...I hear Sully talking about that all the time, but he can't make them do it? that's puzzling..

whats wrong with Joe with a shot?
Nothing but his success will require a decent PP. 60-70 2nd line C isn’t bad.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Graves is definitely the Lovejoy replacement the PGH fanboys parading as media have been missing for years.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Yeah, a real mystery how a coach years past the end of his shelf life can't make the team do anything consistently.

Well, unless we count consistently finding new ways of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, the Pens are amazing at that.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Really feeling like Tocchet was the brains behind our b2b cups…just so over Sullivan at this point

Tocchet was very much available around Christmas time last year when the Penguins started their first big slide of last season. Same exact issues as always (coaching). Tocchet of course being a familiar face that could have taken over as HC.

Oh well.

Dakota Joshua is a friggin beast btw.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tocchet was very much available around Christmas time last year when the Penguins started their first big slide of last season. Same exact issues as always (coaching). Tocchet of course being a familiar face that could have taken over as HC.

Oh well.

Dakota Joshua is a friggin beast btw.
Under Sullivan, Joshua either wouldn't play or would be severely neutered.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not entirely convinced Tocchet is anything but benefiting from a coaching change/style while having some good to great talent already in place with Pettersson, JT Miller, Hughes, Boeser and Kuzmenko.

At best, he's probably just allowing them to play to their strengths which, to be fair, seems to be a pretty exceptional quality for a coach nowadays in the NHL. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad