GDT: | Pens vs Sabres | 1700hrs EST | Last one before the big dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
McGinn might honestly cost a 1st to get rid of in the current market. Similar contract as Dickenson, but 2 years left instead of 1. Both underwhelming bottom 6 players. This is why you don't give depth/role players more than 2 year deals.

Given Dickinson had half the points, that seems a bit bearish. I 100% believe McGinn is negative value right now, but not to that value.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Well he has to go within 30 days or 10 games..but if we send him there, we can bank the cap savings and call him up again after a couple months…sucks for the player but hes kind of redundant on this team..but he’s good depth
You don't get the cap space until he goes to the AHL.

And the Penguins will not be able to bank enough cap space to recall him. He would only be an option to recall if someone with a high enough cap hit is on LTIR.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You don't get the cap space until he goes to the AHL.

And the Penguins will not be able to bank enough cap space to recall him. He would only be an option to recall if someone with a high enough cap hit is on LTIR.

it’s the Pens…that’s very likely to happen…but at least they start the season cap compliant…Poehling can easily replace him…it’s not like there’s a chance in hell this is happening anyway Lol

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1665208298277.png

Please don't break up GCRak. Shades of last year.
Nice game from L2. As lopsided as the score was, the shots were 25-22 and the Sabres had the HDC edge 10-8. So it's good to see them ragging the puck like this.

L3... woof. I know Kap and Carter are friends off the ice, but I don't think Heinen's gonna be able to save them. If they can't have a strong game against that Buffalo lineup, how are they gonna find traction against proper teams? Other teams are gonna punish you if you play like this.
Just make Blue the 3C and Poehling 4C. It's time for Carter to move to the wing.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No, but I think it pretty much sinks the thought that McGinn doesn't have negative value.

I remember when he was signed a lot of people were praising JR for replacing Tanev cheaper. I'd gladly pay 750k more to swap them. Tanev at least did stuff. McGinn might be the most vanilla player in our long line of forgettable bottom 6 plugs.

Glad I'm not the only one that isn't that high on the McGinn signing. In a lot of ways, McGinn's like watchin Spaling all over again.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Rakell does a lot of nice work defensively compared to Rust on L1, he's always hanging high, but doesn't mind getting down in the corners too. I feel like when we watch GCR every shift is Rust and Guentzel trying to skate really hard back to catch a 3-2.
100%. I've been so impressed by Rakell defensively since he's come here. Hell, if we're unclear on who's the 4th PK'er then why not give him a go?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It's a shame Rutherford boofed the team's cap that one season where Pettersson took a team friendly 1-year deal. If he were to able to sign him for 6 years at ~$3.5M he'd be more tradeable.
Let’s not pretend like we haven’t signed bad contracts since JR quit.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Waive Ruh and Archibald. Play some guys under 30 FFS.

It really isn’t that hard. Why donate yet another young player only to keep a 32 year old depth guy? POJ is 10 years younger than Ruh. Why can’t this organization or fan base appreciate younger players?

This would be a no-brainer for literally every other NHL team. I think most other teams would laugh if you offered them Archibald and Ruh for POJ and Zohorna.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Let’s not pretend like we haven’t signed bad contracts since JR quit.

Oh I'm not.

Waive Ruh and Archibald. Play some guys under 30 FFS.

It really isn’t that hard. Why donate yet another young player only to keep a 32 year old depth guy? POJ is 10 years younger than Ruh. Why can’t this organization or fan base appreciate younger players?

This would be a no-brainer for literally every other NHL team. I think most other teams would laugh if you offered them Archibald and Ruh for POJ and Zohorna.

Waiving Ruhwedel and Archibald still doesn't make the team cap compliant.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Ruhwedel has trade value. Friedman can play both positions and while POJ is not as highly regarded as he once was, I prefer he plays up here and Smith go down to work on his D. Now McGinn can be moved and that takes care of cap space. Teddy B can be jettisoned if Poehling in the fourth center. In any event moving a roster guy making 2 million or more has to be explored hard.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Not really. He produced solid for us for the cap hit. Not really worth it to judge an all or nothing player on a couple preseason games plus he had a rocket in G1.
He is an average to decent bottom 6 player. Not a guy you need to tie yourself to for 4 years. Those guys are not hard to replace. It's not like he's overly physical or talented that adds some dynamic to the bottom 2 lines that you couldn't replace with any number of guys for 1/2 the price or less.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Pens f**ked this up royally but they absolutely should not waive POJ if there’s no trade for an asset….imo, waive or trade a forward w some value like Blueger or McGinn and go with 12 forwards…if someone gets injured, they can possibly get an emergency call up or play a D on wing or go with 7 D….if they have to waive Dmen, they should waive Friedman…Ruh is too valuable to them, people saying otherwise are misinformed…

if they don’t waive or trade a forward, then Smith must be sent down, regardless of whether he’s their best roster choice, and Friedman should be waived…end of story…that’s the best use of assets

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Zirakzigil "Recovering from surgery. Someone else will have to post lines please and thanks"
Now what did you do to yourself this time?

wat! no poll?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Pens f**ked this up royally but they absolutely should not waive POJ if there’s no trade for an asset….imo, waive or trade a forward w some value like Blueger or McGinn and go with 12 forwards…if someone gets injured, they can possibly get an emergency call up or play a D on wing or go with 7 D….if they have to waive Dmen, they should waive Friedman…Ruh is too valuable to them, people saying otherwise are misinformed…

if they don’t waive or trade a forward, then Smith must be sent down, regardless of whether he’s their best roster choice, and Friedman should be waived…end of story…that’s the best use of assets

Lol. Just read the article - Archibald will be in the lineup in game 1. It might be time to bump the Archibald signing to see how many said he was simply a depth signing.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lol. Just read the article - Archibald will be in the lineup in game 1. It might be time to bump the Archibald signing to see how many said he was simply a depth signing.
Archie was always gonna be in the lineup the way they talked about him and his “skill set” or lack thereof…

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
100%. I've been so impressed by Rakell defensively since he's come here. Hell, if we're unclear on who's the 4th PK'er then why not give him a go?
Because I'd rather he go the 1st PP where his playmaking, shot and defensive responsibility are all needed. I'd rather put a speedster like Kap or Rust on the PK's 2nd pairing.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Because I'd rather he go the 1st PP where his playmaking, shot and defensive responsibility are all needed. I'd rather put a speedster like Kap or Rust on the PK's 2nd pairing.
Me too but that's not gonna happen for a good while, if at all. Rust has seniority.
Our PP would have to really suck for personnel changes when healthy. Like bottom third of the league.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

Zucker-Malkin-Rust

Year 4 it’s gonna work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad