Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Preds - Meeh?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Good. Very reassuring quote from Sutter.

Yep. I saw a few instances of guys leaving the zone early. But for the most part, it was much better.

You can definitely see that instinct to just bolt whenever someone breaks up a play near our blue line.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
Agreed, he doesn't always get the credit he deserves for his strength. I guess it's because he isn't that physically big like a chara, but he is insanely strong on the low end.

There's a joke in there somewhere :laugh:

Anyhoo, nice two points Pens, even if there are lots of issues that need addressed.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah I have no idea why people are expecting this roster to look the same in the spring. We just fired the coach, GM, traded a former 40 goal scorer and broke up KCD. Just b/c Shero didn't do a good enough job to build around Crosby and Malkin doesn't mean JR will follow the same path. If anything, he'll overpay to make moves.

I expect at least one move by January. And another closer to the deadline. Using at least one roster player.

That's what I liked. We need to break bad habits. Posters are *****ing about no passion. I don't see us having that in October. It'll come when new players are brought in and as we gain chemistry.

Malkin is getting screwed man. We're clearly holding him back not playing him with Nick Spaling.

Basically, they need to be hitting their stride in March and April, not now. If the roster stays stagnant, they aren't winning a SC or going very far come playoff time. JR knows that I'm sure.

Swapping Kunitz or Hornqvist onto Malkin's line isn't going to resolve the major issue up front that has hurt this team for years.

Both Crosby and Malkin need a guy who can carry the puck on their line and we have been saying that for what seems like an eternity. Swapping Neal and Hornqvist didn't solve that issue, but it solved other issues that were lacking (board work, net front presence, dirty goals, hard work). Now BB needs to stay healthy and JR needs to find a dynamic winger and possibly a tweener who can generate offense on his own like Stemps.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Good. Very reassuring quote from Sutter.

Agreed. It's also something you never would have seen a player say during the Bylsma era. It seems Bylsma had the guys knowing how he wanted them to play but he couldn't point out the flaws in their play eloquently. Johnston seems to identify and address issues very well. Refreshing to see a quote like that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Basically, they need to be hitting their stride in March and April, not now. If the roster stays stagnant, they aren't winning a SC or going very far come playoff time. JR knows that I'm sure.

Swapping Kunitz or Hornqvist onto Malkin's line isn't going to resolve the major issue up front that has hurt this team for years.

Both Crosby and Malkin need a guy who can carry the puck on their line and we have been saying that for what seems like an eternity. Swapping Neal and Hornqvist didn't solve that issue, but it solved other issues that were lacking (board work, net front presence, dirty goals, hard work). Now BB needs to stay healthy and JR needs to find a dynamic winger and possibly a tweener who can generate offense on his own like Stemps.

You bring up the Neal/Horny trade and I actually was laughing a bit last night. We are missing one strong top 6 guy (for #71) and Nashville horribly was missing a net front presence w/ how Fleury's rebound control was. It kind of made me laugh. Ironic needs after that trade. We both got what we wanted but at an expense of what we still needed.

Personally, and everyone knows, I'll take Horny 10/10 times over Neal w/ our roster make-up. I just think of how damn amazing this team would be w/ the new bottom 6 AND a top 6 that included both Neal/Horny. :amazed:

And another point in terms of the evolution of the team is something I'm really interested in. I'm just really nervous about the defense. They are equally as bad as last year and the team hasn't quite caught on to supporting the breakout. But hey.. I will have a lot more after about 30-40 games.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Neal is not what our top 6 needs. We either need someone genuinely creative or a legit power forward. Neal is neither of those things.

Hornqvist is a better complementary player than Neal. He doesn't need catered to by his center to do his thing. And as you said, PH fit a need here.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
And another point in terms of the evolution of the team is something I'm really interested in. I'm just really nervous about the defense. They are equally as bad as last year and the team hasn't quite caught on to supporting the breakout. But hey.. I will have a lot more after about 30-40 games.

[abbreviated quote]

I think that's what being missed by lots of people... it's going to take through December to see what we have and what works. I still wouldn't describe last night's game as "meh", but that's just my opinion.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You bring up the Neal/Horny trade and I actually was laughing a bit last night. We are missing one strong top 6 guy (for #71) and Nashville horribly was missing a net front presence w/ how Fleury's rebound control was. It kind of made me laugh. Ironic needs after that trade. We both got what we wanted but at an expense of what we still needed.

Personally, and everyone knows, I'll take Horny 10/10 times over Neal w/ our roster make-up. I just think of how damn amazing this team would be w/ the new bottom 6 AND a top 6 that included both Neal/Horny. :amazed:

I don't want Neal anywhere near this team. I've been pretty adamant about why and if you say "Lazy Neal" three times fast his defenders show up making excuses for him. It's so tiresome listening to them.

Once this team starts adding offensively creative player who can buy time and space for Crosby and Malkin, then we will see what a true puck possession team looks like. I think it's going to happen, but we just have to be patient until then.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I don't see how anyone can really complain about how the Neal/Horny trade has worked out for us thus far. As was mentioned already, Horny is the kind of player our top 6 has been desperately needing for quite some time. He also does the little things without the puck that I really like seeing, like pressuring and forcing turnovers on the forecheck. I'm also happy with Spaling on our bottom 6 thus far.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Dupuis and Comeau ( and Geno) are playing well individually but it's not a cohesive line and it never will be. I'd be fine with Comeau staying there as you could see him reading off of Geno in a way that Duper never can. Keep Comeau as a big, physical, fast winger with some hands and find one legit winger upgrade for Geno. Then slide Duper down with Sutter and Bennett.

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist (will be awesome if Kunitz gets his head out of his ***)
Comeau-Malkin-UPGRADE
Bennett-Sutter-Duper
Spaling-Goc-Downie

2nd line isn't ideal, but that's a deep and versatile bottom 6.

Comeau over Bennett on Geno's wing? Really?...

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Neal is not what our top 6 needs. We either need someone genuinely creative or a legit power forward. Neal is neither of those things.

Hornqvist is a better complementary player than Neal. He doesn't need catered to by his center to do his thing. And as you said, PH fit a need here.

Kunitz - Crosby - Horns
Bennett/Dupuis - Malkin - Neal

That is the the best top 6 in the league for a couple years, without a doubt. If JR could of gotten Hornqvist without trading Neal, that would of been amazing.

Our biggest problem would be fitting them all in on the power play.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Maybe what Kunitz needs is also what Geno needs. For Kunitz to be moved down to line 2. Geno gets a winger who isn't a career 3rd or 4th liner. Kunitz gets a change of scenery, and is reunited with a player who he's been very effective with in the past.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kunitz - Crosby - Horns
Bennett/Dupuis - Malkin - Neal

That is the the best top 6 in the league for a couple years, without a doubt. If JR could of gotten Hornqvist without trading Neal, that would of been amazing.

Our biggest problem would be fitting them all in on the power play.

Neal isn't creative or a legitimate power forward, as I said. So even with him, we'd be looking for an upgrade in our top 6. I've said it probably 10 times now, but I challenge anyone to bring up a winger playing in a contender's top 6 who doesn't possess the qualities I mentioned.

I'd prefer to spend that money on a player who can help carry the team and get Crosby/Malkin going when they're not on their games.

Anyone not convinced trading Neal was the right move isn't going to be until they see the team in the playoffs. So it's probably better to just move on from that topic and focus on other things.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Thinking that the Neal/Horny trade was the right move does not mean that we couldn't use Neal or an equivalent. Having one of the best snipers in the league riding shotgun with an all-world center and either Kunitz or Horny on the other side is a dream.

Is he lazy? Sure. Would I rather keep Hornqvist if I had to pick one? Absolutely. But I'm not going to sit here and say we don't need or couldn't use a legit top 6 forward like Neal.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This game had a different feel from Red Wings/Philly games. It felt more like a regular season game where two teams have no hatred. So that picture kinda makes me laugh and even states why this game was probably less passionate than the last 2.

I think that's funny :laugh:

Indeed.

No. Sid is a beast w/ lower leg strength. Neal definitely engaged him. It seriously looks like a force around Sid that bounced Neal back. lol

Engage has an open meaning, (at least for me) he could have really trucked him if he wanted to. He about half force engaged him. Full force and Sid is planted in the boards.

I love me some Sid and he does work hard in those situations, however, these guys were team-mates not that long ago.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Bennett's play is definitely top 6 worthy, at this point he may be our best winger. The only reason he might be thought of as not ready is the time he's missed.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bennett's play is definitely top 6 worthy, at this point he may be our best winger. The only reason he might be thought of as not ready is the time he's missed.

That and the fact he hasn't been able to put up the numbers to back it up due to those injuries.

Top six ready doesn't equate to top six proven no matter how you slice it.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
That and the fact he hasn't been able to put up the numbers to back it up due to those injuries.

Top six ready doesn't equate to top six proven no matter how you slice it.

When a guy looks like your best winger in the pre-season, you don't dump him in the bottom 6 just because he hasn't been in the top 6 yet.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
When a guy looks like your best winger in the pre-season, you don't dump him in the bottom 6 just because he hasn't been in the top 6 yet.

He looked real great playing with, Sutter. You don't just throw guys into the top six just because he looked good playing in the pre-season with guys who'd normally wouldn't be there.

You can flip that argument both ways. Trouble is just that being proven can't.

With his injury and coming back it is just smart to easy him back, but being on the 3rd line isn't easing him back since that's where he was.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
tough crowd here. it seems a lot of you guys are only happy if they play the absolute perfect game. judging by reading some of the responses on here you'd think they lost 5-1.

+pens win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad