Pre-Game Talk: Pens vs Mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, i like Perron with Sid, Geno with Horny, and Sutter with BB, that really does give you the 3 scoring lines that MJ is looking for.

I'm torn how I'd set it up. Kunitz and Perron should be the left wings with Hornqvist and Bennett as the right wings. But I also prefer both Hornqvist and Bennett with Malkin. Now if Comeau can come back and play how he was (that's a big if imo) then I don't mind either Kunitz or Bennett going to the third line. With one of those two playing with Sutter, the third line is a real threat. With Comeau, I'm not so sure.

my frame would be
Perron-Sid-
-Geno-Hornqvist
Downie-Sutter-

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I'm torn how I'd set it up. Kunitz and Perron should be the left wings with Hornqvist and Bennett as the right wings. But I also prefer both Hornqvist and Bennett with Malkin. Now if Comeau can come back and play how he was (that's a big if imo) then I don't mind either Kunitz or Bennett going to the third line. With one of those two playing with Sutter, the third line is a real threat. With Comeau, I'm not so sure.

my frame would be
Perron-Sid-
-Geno-Hornqvist
Downie-Sutter-

The problem is (in a limited timeframe) neither Comeau or Bennett have looked as good next to Crosby as they have next to Malkin. In fact in both cases, both Crosby and Comeau or Bennett looked worse when playing together leaving a big gaping hole on Crosby's RW.

The only RW that Crosby has had any chemistry with is Hornqvist followed by Downie.

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau/Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling/Kunitz-Sutter-Downie
Spaling/Comeau-Goc-Adams

seems to make the most sense in terms of chemistry and handedness. Kunitz/Comeau would depend on how Kunitz is playing & Comeau returns from his injury.

SarahCrash

Dec 17, 2005
St. Albert, AB
In response, though off thread topic...
I prefer Hornqvist with Malkin over Sid only because Malkin utilizes his shot more than Crosby does. Let Comeau chase down pucks and Makin rip shots with Horny parked in front of the net.

I agree 100%.

It also looks like Kunitz should be traded. Perron so far does not fit well with Sid. He was much more effective when he played with Backes or Sam Gagner as both let Perron drive puck possession, which also required Perron to be on the LW. I'm sure the fit will come if they play together a little longer. We'll have to see, but I think Dupuis, Sid and Perron might be a nice line, if it ever comes to reality. Then we would have 2 forwards that can shoot on their off wings and work the boards facing the open ice. That might work well.

Now, for tonight I'd like to see Crosby put in a good game tonight. He has a few friends on the wild. Please don't let the Wild climb out of their schneid yet.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The problem is (in a limited timeframe) neither Comeau or Bennett have looked as good next to Crosby as they have next to Malkin. In fact in both cases, both Crosby and Comeau or Bennett looked worse when playing together leaving a big gaping hole on Crosby's RW.

The only RW that Crosby has had any chemistry with is Hornqvist followed by Downie.

Fair enough. So you either stack Sid with both Perron and Hornqvist leaving Geno with Kunitz and Bennett,or you put Perron with Geno and Bennett giving Sid Kunitz and Hornqvist back.

PCH
KMB

or

KCH
PMB

Hopefully we get healthy enough to start trying these different combinations.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Everyone's *****ing about Kunitz with Sid. What do you guys want done with Kunitz if he's here? He is one of our 4 best wingers right now, and likely still will be come playoff time.

Put with Sutter. Mayyybe on Geno's left, but that's only just until the other wings get back.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wouldn't overthink it too much and just go with a Perron/Crosby/Hornqvist top line. Not only will it overpower most top matchups or at least wear them down badly, it will still leave (when healthy) a very decent collection of talent for Malkin to work with. Specifically Bennett, Comeau and even Spaling. Who has major limitations but has at least proven capable of playing third wheel on a Malkin/Bennett line. Given... in a very limited sample size.

This also leaves the team's true top center, Brandon Superstar Sutter, with a good group (that overlaps a bit with Malkin's group) in Downie, Spaling, possibly Comeau (depending on how he looks, post-injury) and even a guy like Rust who looks to be very close to third line capable. All in all, not bad... even without that last trade that would have been very nice and with stacking the top line.

EDIT: tl;dr -- I agree with drpepper

EDIT2: D'oh! Forgot Kunitz. Easy to do, the last year or so. Not hard, though -- keep him on the third line, when healthy. Things look even better, then.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Out of curiosity, can you remember seeing 58 gassed on a shift? Even an extended one? I was thinking about this and I'm not sure I have ever seen him looking tired or sucking wind.

I wonder if his game would suffer at all if you gave him 10 more minutes a night.

I literally can not recall a single time in his entire career that I've thought he looks tired. It seems like he can chase people down whether it's 5 seconds or a minute into a shift.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Fair enough. So you either stack Sid with both Perron and Hornqvist leaving Geno with Kunitz and Bennett,or you put Perron with Geno and Bennett giving Sid Kunitz and Hornqvist back.

PCH
KMB

or

KCH
PMB

Hopefully we get healthy enough to start trying these different combinations.

I also don't think

Perron-Crosby-Downie
Kunitz/Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz/Spaling-Sutter-Bennett
Comeau/Spaling-Goc-Adams

should be completely off the table although I don't particularly like Downie in the top 6 as I am not sure Downie can handle Crosby minutes especially in the playoffs.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Everyone's *****ing about Kunitz with Sid. What do you guys want done with Kunitz if he's here? He is one of our 4 best wingers right now, and likely still will be come playoff time.

Right now he's one of the best 4 wingers. When Comeau and Hornqvist get healthy, I'm not sure he's among that group. I'd consider the best top 6 wing options to be Perron, Bennett, Hornqvist and Comeau. Ideally I'd prefer to see Kunitz on the 3rd line with Sutter.

I think the fear for many is that Johnston might be insinuating that one of his "pairs", longterm, would be Kunitz/Crosby. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would appear they have better options now with Perron. If Kunitz can show that he's able to pick up his game a couple notches than I don't see an issue with him getting some top 6 time when everyone is healthy. But the way his play has been, it would seem he's better suited on the 3rd line.

penguins2946*

I agree with the lineup that drpepper posted, though I don't know if I'd play Spaling on the 3rd line over Comeau. I think best case situation is where Kunitz stops being an idiot and we run with:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Comeau-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Adams

I'd be pretty content with that F group. The D needs to get worked out though, Bortuzzo can't be in our top-4 come playoff time and Scuderi-Bortuzzo wouldn't work. I have the unpopular opinion of running with:

Martin-Letang
Scuderi-Ehrhoff
Despres-Bortuzzo

But a bunch of people probably hate that idea.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm still for

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
X - Malkin - Bennett
X - Sutter - Downie

The X's depend on if there's a trade, if Kunitz gets his head out of his ass or if they keep Comeau with Malkin. Kunitz should probably be kept on the 3rd line, though.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Right now he's one of the best 4 wingers. When Comeau and Hornqvist get healthy, I'm not sure he's among that group. I'd consider the best top 6 wing options to be Perron, Bennett, Hornqvist and Comeau. Ideally I'd prefer to see Kunitz on the 3rd line with Sutter.

I think the fear for many is that Johnston might be insinuating that one of his "pairs", longterm, would be Kunitz/Crosby. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would appear they have better options now with Perron. If Kunitz can show that he's able to pick up his game a couple notches than I don't see an issue with him getting some top 6 time when everyone is healthy. But the way his play has been, it would seem he's better suited on the 3rd line.

Trying to shoehorn Perron into RW to try & keep Kunitz/Crosby together seems weird. Not sure why Johnston hasn't put Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett together with Perron-Crosby-Downie.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Hornqvist did his best work with Sid.

Perron we've only seen with Sid.

Bennett has done his best work with Geno and Sutter.

Comeau has done his best work with Geno.

Kunitz, in his current state, I'm sure it matters if he's with Sid, Geno, or Sutter. The only thing I request there is that he earns the spot based on his on-ice impact.

When healthy, I would like to see:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Farnham

assuming no trades are made. Other interesting combos could be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist (we know this will work)
Perron-Malkin-Bennett (...to be honest...this line has it all)
Comeau-Sutter-Downie

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Comeau-Sutter-Downie

Perron-Crosby-Bennett
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist

So many combinations to be tried. That's why I hope they get everyone healthy and playing together before the TDL to get a better understanding of whether or not we need an additional wing and at what price. With Maatta out, we are going to be hard pressed to give up any roster players unless it's a no brainer. Can't afford to give up that many picks either. Would be great to nab Jagsy.

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Bennett-Malkin-Jagr
Kunitz-Sutter-ComDow
Spaling-Goc-ComDow

That there...is Cup caliber depth and skill.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Its between him and Comeau. I would be perfectly fine just having the hotter hand playing in the top 6 while the other plays with Sutter. But saying that he should "maybe" be on the 2nd line "until other players get back" is ridiculous. Right now, he is without question one of our top 4 wingers. When we are healthy, he probably still is, depending on how well Comeau can continue to play.

penguins2946*

I don't think we have the cap space or have a way to get the cap space to bring in Jagr.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Its between him and Comeau. I would be perfectly fine just having the hotter hand playing in the top 6 while the other plays with Sutter. But saying that he should "maybe" be on the 2nd line "until other players get back" is ridiculous. Right now, he is without question one of our top 4 wingers. When we are healthy, he probably still is, depending on how well Comeau can continue to play.

Yep, it really seems like it should, and probably will come down to who is performing better between Comeau and Kunitz.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Out of curiosity, can you remember seeing 58 gassed on a shift? Even an extended one? I was thinking about this and I'm not sure I have ever seen him looking tired or sucking wind.

I wonder if his game would suffer at all if you gave him 10 more minutes a night.

Never looks tired, never looks slow at the end of a game. The guy is tireless, for sure, but I still don think
He needs 30-minutes a night before April;)

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010

They aren't though. They are both agitators. That's where the similarities end.

This. Kunitz is fine as a third wheel with Sid or Geno with the current players we have. Get another ring and fine, move him to L3, otherwise he's fine, and we maximize what we get out of him if he performs how he has as recently as early this season. It should be:

Perron with Sid
Beau with Geno
Downie with Sutter

Hornqvist, Kunitz, and Comeau fill in the other wing to provide jam to each line. This way each center gets one playmaking winger and one net front forechecker.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Crosby said he prefers Right hand shots, give him both. Nice to suddenly have an issue of not having enough space in the top 6. Obviously the locks are Perron and Hornqvist, with Kunitz/Bennett/Comeau and to a lesser extent Downie and Spaling. To me its getting to a point where the top 6 will have threats no matter what. The issue is how the bottom 6 is addressed. The right guys are there, they just need to be implemented.

Perron - Sid - Hornqvist
Comeau/Kunitz - Malkin - Bennett
Comeau/Kunitz - Sutter - Spaling/Downie/Rust
Rust/Spaling - Goc - Rust/Downie

Potentially having the likes of Comeau, Downie, Spaling, and Rust battling for 3rd lines spots is a damn good problem. Finally some possibilities in the top 6 where one of Sid or Malkin aren't left out to dry. Rust will likely be the odd man out unfortunately, but I can't see anyone else being scratched in favor of Sill or Adams, especially if Dupuis somehow comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad