Pre-Game Talk: Pens vs Mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

To Wheeling again, probably.

If Bennett could put up 2.5 PPG in the AHL in a small sample size, I wonder what he could do in the ECHL.

Heh... "You're doin' great stuff, Beau! Really ramping up your game next to Geno. So that's why I'm promoting you... to Sutter's line!"

The sad thing is I could totally see him saying this :laugh:

If Kunitz gets his head out of his ass and starts playing again, that top-6 should be pretty good for the playoffs. Perron, Hornqvist, Kunitz and Bennett is the best group of top-6 forwards that we have had in a long time. Assuming Sid and Geno are playing to their normal standards, I think we should be fine. I'd be concerned about the D at that point, because either Scuderi or Bortuzzo is going to be in the top-4 with Maatta out.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Listening to MJ it seems like he still plans on using Sid and Kunitz together long term, he talked about trying to find a winger that can work with Sid and Kunitz.

Source?

Idk, I actually like that unit assuming Perron and Malkin are on their 1-timing sides. The 2nd is pretty dumb IMO.

If MJ is planning to keep Kunitz and Crosby together, that really messes up the top-6 group. That would put Perron, Hornqvist and Bennett on RW with only Kunitz as the LW. I don't really know what they're going at. If Kunitz has to be in the top-6, just go with:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett

Presumably this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Spaling-Sutter-Bennett

penguins2946*

Presumably this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Spaling-Sutter-Bennett

You forgot Downie, who would be on that 3rd line. That seems like a really ****** way to set up the F group. Bennett should be in the top-6 and Perron should be at LW. I mean, it could be worse, but that's not the best way to set it up IMO.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
So, looks like they already started producing the future whites:

10898972_797480376992490_1158321224_n.jpg

mariolemieuxfdn
Roberts, Caufield, and Domi back on the ice! See them play tomorrow night at 6:00 and 7:30 at CONSOL Energy Center! Tickets $15 #camp66 #lemieuxfdn66

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
You forgot Downie, who would be on that 3rd line. That seems like a really ****** way to set up the F group. Bennett should be in the top-6 and Perron should be at LW.

I don't know, I'm willing to give this top line a chance for another game or two. Personally I'd try Beau with Sid though:

Perron-Crosby-Bennett
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie

Everybody on their correct wing. :nod:

penguins2946*

I don't know, I'm willing to give this top line a chance for another game or two.

Personally I'd try Beau with Sid though:

Perron-Crosby-Bennett
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie

Everybody on their correct wing. :nod:

I don't think that's fair to Geno to give Sid both playmaking wingers. It's not that Malkin's linemates are bad, but I think Sid and Geno should each get 1 of Perron and Bennett. I do like the 3rd line in this setup though. I don't think a Comeau-Malkin-Bennett 2nd line would be a problem. I wouldn't complain about this breakdown, but I think Geno is kinda getting screwed over in this one.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Yeah, the white one's are just remakes, you can see the CCM patch on the white jersey, plus it's missing the Reebok patch above the name.

B7Pl479CEAATYyO.jpg

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't see any reason, barring injury, that Bennett and Malkin should be broken up. Those two already have some pretty good chemistry going. And I think it will only get better as they continue to get used to each other's tendencies. As long as that continues to be the duo on the second line (with Bennett staying at RW), everything else should fall into place as the team gets healthy.

I mean... I know it's super shocking that an extremely talented player like Bennett is working well with another extremely talented player like Malkin. But there it is. The Bennett/Sutter combo only ever looked "great" because of Bennett.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Fordy

May 28, 2008
that's an embarrassing arrangement. that's what bylsma would do, find the least effective combination and work to minimize everyone

of course the top line would still be kcd but

penguins2946*

I miss Cooke. It would have been great to have a Cooke-Sutter-Downie 3rd line for this year.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Beau and Geno have had the best chemistry this season and probably the best chemistry i've seen from Geno yet. One would think Neal, but I would say beau/geno have looked more dangerous in terms of puck possession. Neal is just a dangerous shooter. Beau can do a little bit of everything for Geno.

And that's not a knack on Neal being a shooter. That's props to both guys being unique and different.

Xavier Laflamme*

I prefer Hornqvist with Malkin over Sid only because Malkin utilizes his shot more than Crosby does. Let Comeau chase down pucks and Makin rip shots with Horny parked in front of the net.

penguins2946*

Cooke and Downie are basically the same player.

Downie is a drastically better playmaker and much more skilled than Cooke and Cooke is a lot better defensively than Downie. They're similar in that they're both agitators, but that's about it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Everyone's *****ing about Kunitz with Sid. What do you guys want done with Kunitz if he's here? He is one of our 4 best wingers right now, and likely still will be come playoff time.

Cooke and Downie are basically the same player.

They aren't though. They are both agitators. That's where the similarities end.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really believe things have changed enough that MJ isn't going to stick to his preseason pairings, anymore. He has a few stubborn moments... but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to flat out ignore the glaringly obvious when it's in front of him. The acquisition of Perron alone changes things significantly. Not to mention injuries and emerging chemistry between other sets of players.

I don't think he's perfect... but MJ at least seems capable of understanding that things tend to be very fluid and you can't stay married to certain ideas for the sake, essentially, of trying to prove yourself "right." Unlike certain other former bench bosses.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
for all the talk of keeping Sid and Geno fresh for the playoffs, we sure are okay with corkscrewing Letang and Fleury

Out of curiosity, can you remember seeing 58 gassed on a shift? Even an extended one? I was thinking about this and I'm not sure I have ever seen him looking tired or sucking wind.

I wonder if his game would suffer at all if you gave him 10 more minutes a night.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I prefer Hornqvist with Malkin over Sid only because Malkin utilizes his shot more than Crosby does. Let Comeau chase down pucks and Makin rip shots with Horny parked in front of the net.

Yeah, i like Perron with Sid, Geno with Horny, and Sutter with BB, that really does give you the 3 scoring lines that MJ is looking for.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Beau and Geno have had the best chemistry this season and probably the best chemistry i've seen from Geno yet. One would think Neal, but I would say beau/geno have looked more dangerous in terms of puck possession. Neal is just a dangerous shooter. Beau can do a little bit of everything for Geno.

And that's not a knack on Neal being a shooter. That's props to both guys being unique and different.

Kills me to think about what could have been if Bennett could have stayed healthy and been able to consistently play with Malkin and Neal. Malkin and Beau could have possessed the puck and found Neal anywhere as a goal scoring threat. Could have just been killer. I suppose in the long run, Horny might be more important to the success of the team than Neal but that could have been some beautiful hockey to watch.

Disclaimer: DB would have never let it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad