GDT: Pens vs Leafs-scape goal Phil returns [Converted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Some of you should become Pens fans if you like Kessel so much. Guy was a terrible player outside of his offense. Never tried to improve other areas of his game for the team. Selfish one dimensional player.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Hopefully the embarrassing part of our fanbase keeps their mouths shut tonight. You never heard Canucks fans complaining about Bure being one-dimensional. Only in Toronto does an 82 point player need to be a grinder. Haven't heard a peep from Penguins fans about his defense either.

Kessel is 20th all-time in Leafs points, and had he played out his contract, would likely be in some heady company.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
hm.

it used to be - fans would hope that the team does well, and never mind the individual
now it's "wow. i sure hope the individual totally embarrasses the team "

anyway.
I hope my team does well, and that the person who is NOT on my team doesn't impact the game. because, you know. he's not on my team.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

sundindebutsforvancouver.jpg

Incoming anger laden posts about how they're two completely different players

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
sundindebutsforvancouver.jpg

Incoming anger laden posts about how they're two completely different players

If you can't see the difference between Mats and Kessel than there's nothing else to say. Even so, it's all about the crest in front of the sweater, not the names or numbers on the back. If you aren't a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs you're the enemy, plain and simple.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
hm.

it used to be - fans would hope that the team does well, and never mind the individual

anyway.
I hope my team does well, and that the person who is NOT on my team doesn't impact the game. because, you know. he's not on my team.

Kessel fans first, Leaf fans second. It's the only explanation. No true fan hopes for someone to embarrass their team, no matter how beloved that player is to them.

Good on you for hitting the nail on the head Daisy.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Hopefully the embarrassing part of our fanbase keeps their mouths shut tonight. You never heard Canucks fans complaining about Bure being one-dimensional. Only in Toronto does an 82 point player need to be a grinder. Haven't heard a peep from Penguins fans about his defense either.

Kessel is 20th all-time in Leafs points, and had he played out his contract, would likely be in some heady company.

yeah I don't get the hate for Phil. He had to be moved for the rebuild but any hate for him is unwarranted. Blame the people who didn't surround him with the right supporting cast. But we do have some idiot fans around these parks.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Give Kessel a pre-game cheer for his time here, then go out and win the darn game.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Never been a kessel fan, really neutral. Its not his fault he was traded here but watching him was really a torture, all he cared about was the name on the back of the sweater (not going to blame him for that)

I wish fans would welcome him tonight by deafening silence (if you want to blame someone, go for Burkie because we all knew what type of player he was before the trade)

Last edited:

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
hm.

anyway.

Exactly, I don't understand this logic. So they have more love for the player than the team? Sounds like they rather see Kessel with a cup vs Leafs making playoffs.being contenders. I'm hoping Kessel get shut down tonight.

Sounds like people are hoping that our trade was bad. I mean if Kessel doesn't score 30 this year (doubtful) while playing with Crosby, does it mean Leafs won the trade?

Also there's only so many games the leafs should lose. If they lose too many, it just demoralizes the team more. I know people want first pick, but we still have a few players on this team that will be here long-term.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If you can't see the difference between Mats and Kessel than there's nothing else to say. Even so, it's all about the crest in front of the sweater, not the names or numbers on the back. If you aren't a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs you're the enemy, plain and simple.

that's pretty much how it has always been for me.

to which again, I don't understand why there is this huge massive amount of "wow. I hope Kessel embarrasses us tonight."

Why? like. what would that serve ? i mean - the only thing really - is that he helps in the tank AND help the Penguins secure a playoff spot so we get our first rounder this season. So Thank You, kessel. but it's not something I'd hope for, nor do I (or will I ever) see the logic of wanting it to happen to tick people off for not liking him.

because as I said: Phil scoring goals for Toronto - was never the problem that people had in regards to Phil Kessel. It was everything else that Phil could control and did not that people had an issue with.

and some people don't care about that and can't see why it irritated others, and others can't. which is why hopefully after this game, we can just freaking move on and get over it.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'm a huge Kessel fan but will always be a Leafs fan. And because I'm both I can gladly root for Kessel to light us up tonight. The Leafs team is pathetic and there is no good that comes from winning. Losing helps the tank. Go Phil.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'd like us to beat Phil and the Pens tonight. But at the same time, I don't care if they lose. I just don't care for this particular team at all. If they lose, oh well, who the hell cares?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

You're right.. one player left the team in free agency after refusing a trade... and the other was traded and did not ask to leave.. Anyone who boos Kessel tonight is simply rude..

mikebel111*

I hope Phil goes easy on us. If it's his BFF taking him on, than this might get ugly.
If Kadri, than might not be so bad.
No need to boo Kessel. It would be a special kind of dumb just like how the ACC booed Rudy Gay when he returned.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
hm.

anyway.

Eh, the nature of sports fandom is changing somewhat, people are almost drawn as much to star players as they are teams.

I still cheer for the Leafs first and foremost (and will be cheering for them tonight), but there are players on other team's who I also enjoy watching. I'm a hockey fan in general as well as a Leafs fan.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Eh, the nature of sports fandom is changing somewhat, people are almost drawn as much to star players as they are teams.

I still cheer for the Leafs first and foremost (and will be cheering for them tonight), but there are players on other team's who I also enjoy watching. I'm a hockey fan in general as well as a Leafs fan.

that's fine.
but i don't know if i'd ever want a star player that I like - to embarrass the team that I also like.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kessel never pretended to be anything more than what he is from day 1. That's who he was when he was traded for and traded away. If he was known as a workhorse and hard nosed player who turned into what he is now, than maybe we could fault him for that.

Really? We can fault him for being lazy and as well as for being the player who refused to listen to his coach....that is his MO and it will not change until someone staples his rear end to the bench or press box for a while. ANY player who brags that he did not prepare for the season is a joke and not worthy of any praise from me!

mikebel111*

Also where did this stupid "people care about Kessel more than team come from".
I have seen wishing him good luck and like one person saying hope he destroys us, but sure if that means fans care more about Kessel doing well than the team. Than sure:facepalm:

Wishing him good luck is not saying we love him more than team. It's the same thing the Kadri critics always wrongly accuse the fans of.

Anyways can't believe I had to explain that.

I hope Phil does well, but has a bad game tonight. I want a win today!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You're right.. one player left the team in free agency after refusing a trade... and the other was traded and did not ask to leave.. Anyone who boos Kessel tonight is simply rude..

He cheated fans with his unprofessional approach to his craft....Kessel deserves any boo's he gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad