GDT: Pens vs Leafs-scape goal Phil returns [Converted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Well should see another hard working effort, hopefully.

Be nice to top it off with Kessel lighting up Bernier.

Why would you want a lazy player to score against the Leafs? I've got no problems if Crosby lights us up but I'm sure the only thing Kessel is lighting up is the tiny little bulb above his head on the plane.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Why would you want a lazy player to score against the Leafs? I've got no problems if Crosby lights us up but I'm sure the only thing Kessel is lighting up is the tiny little bulb above his head on the plane.
Because it'd be nice seeing the people who treat the guy like crap being pissed off :). Our best player for 7 years and the best most can do is lukewarm insults towards him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why would an organization pay tribute to a guy who pulled the Vince Carter chute, whom they got rid of only a few months ago, whom they could have kept for another seven years if they really liked him?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I would like to see a win here, we have put in the effort and have't been rewarded as yet but maybe tonight, it'll be a breakout game.

Go Leafs Go!

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Kessel's effort level was on him.....his fear of getting hit was on him. His lack of working out in the off season was on him.

The team being crap was on the GM's.

I have not missed Kessel at all...I hope we hit him every chance we get!

Kessel never pretended to be anything more than what he is from day 1. That's who he was when he was traded for and traded away. If he was known as a workhorse and hard nosed player who turned into what he is now, than maybe we could fault him for that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Phil put up with a lot of **** in this town during his tenure ... He certainly deserves a good part of that criticism but not all of it... For awhile there he was the only glimmer of light we had on the team and put up great offensive numbers. Hope he doesn't get booed

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Kessel should be cheered, he was often the reason, we won games in past seasons and given that he wanted to remain a Leaf, tells you it wasn't his idea to be traded.

Under Babcock's system however Kessel just wasn't a good fit and so he was dealt to a team that's all offence and the right fit for him.

So Thanks for the Memory Phil Cheers!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Because it'd be nice seeing the people who treat the guy like crap being pissed off :). Our best player for 7 years and the best most can do is lukewarm insults towards him.

why would Phil scoring goals against us, piss people off?
Phil scoring goals, was never, ever the problem.

if anything, what would piss people off is Phil backchecking, blocking shots, being defensively aware and not being trapped in his own end for like his entire shift, and not being "yup! i'm done!" and get off the ice, even if it makes no earthly sense for him to do so.

but scoring goals? not the issue.
as well as, hey.it keeps us on pace with the Ducks (never thought i'd say that before).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kessel never pretended to be anything more than what he is from day 1. That's who he was when he was traded for and traded away. If he was known as a workhorse and hard nosed player who turned into what he is now, than maybe we could fault him for that.

That's the thing too: he's always been an offensive centric player and it's something he excelled at.

It's just a pity that the Leafs had a GM who decided to make an awful decision for trading for such a player when the team really needed to rebuild via the draft.

I really like watching Kessel on the ice - he oozes pure hockey skill. But I'm happy that he was traded and that the team has decided to move on: it's best for both sides.

I'm expecting a big night for the Pens offense - they seem like they're about to heat up.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
No tribute for Kessel tomorrow.

Quick everyone talk about how much the Leafs organization hates Kessel.

No tribute for Kessel on returning to the ACC, is that something like the BS "salute-gate" that the media and irrational fans fell for hook, line and sinker last year, I hope the media don't start this BS again and we'll have to hear a non story for a month.:shakehead

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
It'll be a modest TV timeout video montage with a few superlatives thrown in by Andy frost. Kessel won't salute the cheers.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Better yet how many Leaf players will be laughing and joking with him during the game while they sit with only 1 win on the year?

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
After watching the home opener it's not like people really want to get off their hands anyway. Spattering of applause with the odd greased up guy booing.

I don't have anything against Phil and his tenure here. He was fun to watch. Really thought he had a shot at those leaf scoring records.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
It's going to be embarassing if Kessel is booed. It will look extremely petty and classless on our part.

I agree, I was so embarrassed with Toronto fans during the Jays game where they were throwing beer cans. Some bad apples make Toronto sports fans look really bad and I hope it doesn't become a thing.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Kessel was a great leaf, gave back to the community, entertained us with countless highlight reel goals, was consistently one of the top scorers in the league and despite what some think, he worked his ass off for us. He loved playing/ living here and never asked for a trade. Anyone who boos him is an idiot.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Hopefully many boos come from the stands in the ACC tonight to honor Phil's time as a Leaf. Or better yet show him what he often showed us while he was a member of the Leafs, indifference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad