Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Leafs | loss | No more streaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
It’s not Sullivan’s fault that Kap sucks, but it’s weird that turds like Heinen get a free pass to suck, and Rust continues to get prime opportunities.

Demoting Rust to the bottom six seems like such a no brainer to me. Again, we moved Dump to the bottom pair, why can’t we do the same to Rust?
Heinen played very well since being signed here and is here for bottom 6 minutes, does a solid job.
Kapanen wasn't acquired by Hextall, but still traded for a 1st round pick and is here to produce offensively which he hasn't at all since coming back!

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
People, the FO included, have to separate themselves from this sunk cost fallacy shit re: Kap. The 1st round pick to draft him and the 1st round pick to re-acquire him are gone. Mistakes were made. Oh well, let some other team put Kap in pristine conditions for success and if he succeeds, so be it. He's a dime a dozen 30-40pt 3rd liner who has hot streaks and cold streaks. I don't see much separating him from guys like McGinn or Heinen or any other of the ~120 30-40pt guys in the league.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
People, the FO included, have to separate themselves from this sunk cost fallacy shit re: Kap. The 1st round pick to draft him and the 1st round pick to re-acquire him are gone. Mistakes were made. Oh well, let some other team put Kap in pristine conditions for success and if he succeeds, so be it. He's a dime a dozen 30-40pt 3rd liner who has hot streaks and cold streaks. I don't see much separating him from guys like McGinn or Heinen or any other of the ~120 30-40pt guys in the league.
I think he's got more offensive upside than Heinen and Mcginn but less defensive upside.

But yeah they absolutely shoulda let him go and used that money to bring back Erod instead. Imagine how badass our bottom six would look right now with Erod on it. Erod would I think have made our third line much more functional. Our fourth line is already good.

It's hard to get everything 100% right. Most of what Hextall did was good this off season. But man we coulda had four functional lines with one slightly different move. Ah well.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He had Malkin for the half-season that he was healthy last year + the NYR series. You're upset he got Jeff Carter to play with... what do you want, reward him for his 32 point season and put him with 87?
Fit matters.

All the hater bullshit is easier to drown out with the high of Heinen being a healthy scratch finally.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Heinen played very well since being signed here and is here for bottom 6 minutes, does a solid job.
Kapanen wasn't acquired by Hextall, but still traded for a 1st round pick and is here to produce offensively which he hasn't at all since coming back!
Funny thing this...

Kapanen was utilized on the third line in Toronto and played heavily on the PK. Probably one of their most relied upon forwards for that. In Pittsburgh he's been largely miscast not being used on the PK and is one of many right wingers that have had issues on this team with consistent production. But not identifying his strengths when they first got him is a big problem.

Heinen sucks. He isn't as good defensively as you think, his offense this season is heavily buoyed by the first 5 games. He was more of a ghost than Kapanen for about 20 games, meanwhile Kapanen got punished after 13 games.

Kapanen isn't a fit on this team and it's fine. But the fact that Heinen is a worse fit and the excuses and rope he gets is annoying. I mean fine trade Kapanen. Play Hallander or Puustinen instead. Heinen doesn't deserve a spot either.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Both Heinen and Kapanen have been put with our worst center as well. Anyone who gets put with Carter is gonna struggle to do much. He's very bad at possessing the puck at this stage of his career.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Both Heinen and Kapanen have been put with our worst center as well. Anyone who gets put with Carter is gonna struggle to do much. He's very bad at possessing the puck at this stage of his career.

This is why I don't understand the negative attitude towards Heinen. He's playing poorly because he's having to attempt to create scoring chances out of nothing. He's not a line driver and not being paid to be one.

As for Kapanen, he hasn't visibly declined, he's just not trying hard. Evidence of that is despite being in the coach's dog house, he was still not forechecking hard or even driving the net to atleast get a lucky bounces. He was floating around playing north south hockey and looking for goals that didn't require effort. No reason for Sullivan keep giving chances to someone who doesn't listen to him

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think Heinen produces more points, but Kapanen wins you more games. Honestly, I think it’s bizarre Kapanen hasn’t had success here. His archetype is basically a Sully wet dream.
He had a little bit of success with Malkin.

I think like lIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlI said it's too much to ask for Kapanen or Heinen to carry a line. If they're gonna have success with Carter I think you need a strong possession guy on the other wing to drive play on that line and unfortunately Mcginn is not that.

Like put Rakell on that line with Carter and Kapanen or Heinen and I'm sure it would work. But unfortunately we only have one Rakell, and we can't afford to play him in the bottom six.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He had a little bit of success with Malkin.

I think like lIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlI said it's too much to ask for Kapanen or Heinen to carry a line. If they're gonna have success with Carter I think you need a strong possession guy on the other wing to drive play on that line and unfortunately Mcginn is not that.

Like put Rakell on that line with Carter and Kapanen or Heinen and I'm sure it would work. But unfortunately we only have one Rakell, and we can't afford to play him in the bottom six.

Carter has actually been relatively effective in the last ten games.

Regardless. Sullivan will never swap Carter to the appropriate role so even talking about it is pointless.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Carter has actually been relatively effective in the last ten games.

Regardless. Sullivan will never swap Carter to the appropriate role so even talking about it is pointless.
Yeah I really think the way to use Carter now is to give him cushy deployments and try to coax a little offense out of him. He can still score somewhat, he just can't possess the puck that well or defend that well any more. Unfortunately Sullivan buries the bottom six in defensive assignments and that works for the fourth line but not at all for the third.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
McGinn has been better with Carter and the way that line is deployed. Heinen was with that line all season and has been a joke all season sans 5 games. While I’m not a fan of Carter and think McGinn-Blueger-Kapanen would probably do better, but accusing anyone of making Heinen suck is a lie. Heinen can do suck all on his own and is the only consistent thing that dipshit can do.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah I really think the way to use Carter now is to give him cushy deployments and try to coax a little offense out of him. He can still score somewhat, he just can't possess the puck that well or defend that well any more. Unfortunately Sullivan buries the bottom six in defensive assignments and that works for the fourth line but not at all for the third.
Poehling and Blueger can do far more than how that idiot Sullivan uses them and Carter is in the way of that as well.

Like at best move Carter to right wing.

McGinn, Blueger, Carter
Hallander, Poehling, Archibald.

Reactions: Rakell67

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Funny thing this...

Kapanen was utilized on the third line in Toronto and played heavily on the PK. Probably one of their most relied upon forwards for that. In Pittsburgh he's been largely miscast not being used on the PK and is one of many right wingers that have had issues on this team with consistent production. But not identifying his strengths when they first got him is a big problem.

Heinen sucks. He isn't as good defensively as you think, his offense this season is heavily buoyed by the first 5 games. He was more of a ghost than Kapanen for about 20 games, meanwhile Kapanen got punished after 13 games.

Kapanen isn't a fit on this team and it's fine. But the fact that Heinen is a worse fit and the excuses and rope he gets is annoying. I mean fine trade Kapanen. Play Hallander or Puustinen instead. Heinen doesn't deserve a spot either.
Why do you keep ignoring this. It's been 100 games not 13. Go check the game logs from '21/'22.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I think Heinen produces more points, but Kapanen wins you more games. Honestly, I think it’s bizarre Kapanen hasn’t had success here. His archetype is basically a Sully wet dream.
When has Kap ever won us a game? Lmao.
Both players suck (right now). One guy makes 3x as much as the other - and has also played with 10x the expectations as the other guy. Heinen got us 20 goals last season, Kap hasn't sniffed 12 in a season with us.

Stop making this a "Can't you see Heinen is sooo bad, please just give Kap another chance!" No. They both suck. Just because you have one shitbag doesn't mean you need to play the other turd sandwich in his place.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Nope. I am talking about this season.
Yea, but last season is relevant man. Heinen came in off a 20 goal season and Kap came off a disappointing 32 point season where he saw his TOI plummet by season's end. These things determine the leash you have going into '22/'23. These things contribute to why Kap got scratched after 13 games and Heinen is still in there after 20. You can't ignore them.

For the record I'm all for sitting Heinen and trying Puustinen with the big club for once. As for the other Finn... well... we gave him 100 games straight worth of chances and I don't want to see him in the lineup anymore.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
For the record I'm all for sitting Heinen and trying Puustinen with the big club for once. As for the other Finn... well... we gave him 100 games straight worth of chances and I don't want to see him in the lineup anymore.
1669719775848.png

I'm open to any of these guys, really. Puustinen worked with Carter in his only game and I liked his defensive effort there and in camp.
Hallander can defend. Hell, maybe Nylander could help PP1 too? :laugh:

Gonna have to trade Kap to make it happen though, with our cap situation. They're not gonna send him down to clear 1.1 of 3.2 mil. If he's valued by any GM we would lose him to waivers, when we could get another Forward back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad