Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Kings: PP giveth and taketh away on Jagr night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Seeing them in person it is even more apparent than on TV how little confidence they have offensively. Guys were second guessing themselves all night both 5v5 and on the pp.

That seems to me like something a coaching reset might resolve by letting guys have a fresh start and new voice. But what do I know

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Wake The Kids, You have many many posters saying if Gallant or BBQ Bruce Boudreau was the HC they would be in the playoffs
Well, if they had an average PP and were average in OT, they would be in the playoffs and these are two of the areas where coaching most impacts the game. But there are 100 miles between saying a different coach would have them in playoff position and saying that the COACHING STAFF is the ONLY Problem with this TEam.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Well, if they had an average PP and were average in OT, they would be in the playoffs and these are two of the areas where coaching most impacts the game. But there are 100 miles between saying a different coach would have them in playoff position and saying that the COACHING STAFF is the ONLY Problem with this TEam.
They do what Sid wants on the PP you think Reirden is telling them to play as f***ing bad as you can ?

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I mean. He's been fine. I don't think he's above criticism.

He is just as inconsistent as ever and is 3-7 in his last ten starts.
True, however their piss poor record is not a reflection necessarily of his quality of play.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Seeing them in person it is even more apparent than on TV how little confidence they have offensively. Guys were second guessing themselves all night both 5v5 and on the pp.

That seems to me like something a coaching reset might resolve by letting guys have a fresh start and new voice. But what do I know
The confidence thing seems like a huge issue…I think it is a coaching issue because Sullivan is trying to get them to play like the modern version of ‘95 Devils…and yet most of the players he has are offensive minded…there’s a disconnect between the game on the ice that Sullivan feels will give them the best chance of success (probably because their old and slow) and the skills of the players he has at his disposal…something has to give lol

Reactions: Pancakes

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

That was a pretty damn approrpiate gif. However, the one I was thinking of watching the seconds tick down was this

notlikethis-matrix.gif

I had an irrepressible smile on my face watching Jags take the warm up. It was truly awesome to see, like years of bad memories from 2000 all the way to 2012 were being washed away.

Then the puck dropped and all the good vibes from yesterday, the mullets, the on ice warm ups, the ceremony and crowd reception. All of them just flushed down the f***ing drain, as the Pittsburgh Sullipens confirm they are exactly what they are: a team that is completely cooked, and sold out on letting the coach and stars play out the string "their way".

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still think EK might be the only possible guy on the team that could knock some things loose if he decides to start speaking up. I hope he does.

Sid, Malkin and Letang all seem brainwashed or in some kind of haze.
Yeah, I was pretty against JT Miller cuz of how f***ing annoying Orpik being a prick was, but maybe this team needs somebody to just stop being PR-speak robots and be like "Yeah, this shit sucks. No idea what we're supposed to be doing on the ice. There's zero reason a power play with this personnel should be so bad for so long."

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
When a guy coming from a lottery team says he has never seen an offense as inept as that of the Penguins right now, maybe he is onto something.

Or maybe we can keep trying exactly the same things and expecting something to change all odds.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I still think EK might be the only possible guy on the team that could knock some things loose if he decides to start speaking up. I hope he does.

Sid, Malkin and Letang all seem brainwashed or in some kind of haze.
I think, sadly, that if EK starts "speaking out of turn" and none of the other three follow his lead, the likeliest outcome is his ice time gets zapped, and he will be traded with retention in the offseason. Like, EK will be the casualty long before Sullivan is.

Like you said, the bedrock guys of this org are in some kind of haze. They have the rings and this losing and choking on a consistent basis doesnt seem to get them up or down anymore. The org has just given up, and maybe they're just tired.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Wake The Kids, You have many many posters saying if Gallant or BBQ Bruce Boudreau was the HC they would be in the playoffs

Well if you extrapolate it and say "if the PP was just average" they'd be in the playoffs. So yes, a coaching change in regards to the PP would result in the Pens being in the playoffs.

But making the PP better involves running a system and Mikey Sullivan just doesn't believe in that sorta thing. That's not conjecture; that is from Sully's mouth

Reactions: vodeni

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Well if you extrapolate it and say "if the PP was just average" they'd be in the playoffs. So yes, a coaching change in regards to the PP would result in the Pens being in the playoffs.

But making the PP better involves running a system and Mikey Sullivan just doesn't believe in that sorta thing. That's not conjecture; that is from Sully's mouth
The basis for their entire power-play scheme seems to be to get everyone in their spots so they can pass around the top of the umbrella in hope of a good look for a redirect at the side of the net.

It reeks of Mike Sullivan coaching.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The basis for their entire power-play scheme seems to be to get everyone in their spots so they can pass around the top of the umbrella in hope of a good look for a redirect at the side of the net.
They are so addicted to the redirects from the side of the net, you would think they score goals like that all the time rather than once in a blue moon. It's downright bizarre.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
"Their power play is pretty good too with the players that they have"
-LA Kings coach on the Pens PP

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah... The name is Bob Nutting who is a billionaire that could care less about the Pirates being successful team.
Kind of like FSG and how they handle the Penguins. They're so infatuated with Mike Sullivan that they have more trust in him than the GM's they've hired and fired.

Karlsson so badly wants to say how he feels about the coaching but respects Crosby too much to say it. And Sid is a massive fan of Mike Sullivan.

This is the shit show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad