Nov 14, 2007
0 days rest vs 11 days rest
Away game
Playing a backup goalie with no rest/3rd string goalie
Team can't finish at all as has been the case most of the season
Powerplay 0 of X
Bad defense

They got lucky it was only 6-0!
I really don't get how you can play any of the 18 skaters in a back-to-back game, but the goalie is the one too fatigued to play?
Never understood this.
Hockey is so weird with back-to-back games.

Reactions: Smasher

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I really don't get how you can play any of the 18 skaters in a back-to-back game, but the goalie is the one too fatigued to play?
Never understood this.
Goalies need the most recovery. Most intense jobs of anyone easily.
It's a big injury risk too, in a vulnerable position for the team. They do a lot of dynamic, full extensions with their body.

Casey got both because Tokarski is trash and he had a particularly light workload the game before. But that's the exception and not the rule.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
This year makes a lot more sense in that we have a really good record against non-playoff teams and really bad vs playoff teams.
It used to be more mixed, with letdowns against fodder teams and playing out of their skins against strong ones. Now it's just straight up inadequacy, and not self-destruction.

That's what's probably most concerning to me. A good team is waiting in the playoffs if we make it. It doesn't feel like they can take out anyone good 4 out of 7. It would have to be a complete reversal of the trend.
things can change, sports that rely a lot on luck factor like hockey can see radical shifts in trends. one or two trades that hit the spot and change dynamic of the lineup, hot goalie, etc...The odds are aginst but you never know. My problem is that without that cut, we just find the way to lose many different ways and Sully is preaching all the same all the time, he is a part of the problem no matter what, you can't play Guentzel on the PP no matter what, the decisions like that prevent you from getting that spark, getting that cathalyst that may inginte the reaction...

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Never understood this.
Well, for one, skaters get to rest a lot more. Unless standing all game while puck is in other end is considered rest by you.

Two, the Pens allow 30 shots a game. Probably almost another half of that which don't get through or on net, which the goalie is still having to react to... And everyone being butterfly these days, that's a lot of squats and lunges lol.

Plus mentally taxing.

I mean, CDS should have been able to survive. But whatever.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
No big deal, old team has a game off knowing it would probably lose it anyway, so they might as well save some effort. Nice of them to be so relaxed that I could fast forward most of the game. We will see an actual 60 minute effort from the Pens some time this month... maybe.
No…we can’t even get a 40 minute effort…we need teams to stop playing defense, like Anaheim, before we have a shot at really dominating a game lol

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It must be downright awkward for anybody to be the GM of this team, knowing Sully outranks you by leaps and bounds. Hextall or not, for whatever reason, Sully might as well have been given sainthood in the eyes of the hockey world.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
He dyes it before events, like playoffs or functions. This has been going on for 3 years or so.

Look at some of his old pressers during the dog days of the schedule when he doesn't care as much.

This was taken a while ago, but he's graying here, and suddenly jet black at ASG, 1.5 years later?

I've seen more glaring examples than this too. Depends when a photo is taken between dyeing sessions.
It's definitely happening.
waynes-world-i-did-not-realize-that.gif

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
One thing I will say is that the front office telling the media that they are happy with Sullivan is meaningless.

Dumb organizations give honest answers on such questions to the media. I'm not saying they are for sure souring on Sullivan, I'm just saying they aren't going to air it in public because that kind of thing never ends well.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
One thing I will say is that the front office telling the media that they are happy with Sullivan is meaningless.

Dumb organizations give honest answers on such questions to the media. I'm not saying they are for sure souring on Sullivan, I'm just saying they aren't going to air it in public because that kind of thing never ends well.
Jim Rutherford school of GMing 101: Maybe don't publicly state you want to get rid of the coach 3 months before doing so.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
0 days rest vs 11 days rest
Away game
Playing a backup goalie with no rest/3rd string goalie
Team can't finish at all as has been the case most of the season
Powerplay 0 of X
Bad defense

They got lucky it was only 6-0!
Celebration game, too. They shit the bed pretty often in those, nevermind the California Curse.

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It must be downright awkward for anybody to be the GM of this team, knowing Sully outranks you by leaps and bounds. Hextall or not, for whatever reason, Sully might as well have been given sainthood in the eyes of the hockey world.
Worse being GM at the Kraken where JR makes the decisions anyway.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hextall is an awkward guy. I’m pretty sure he’s simply happy to be employed at this point. The less he has to do, the better. I mean we had to hire Burke because Hextall is afraid of his own shadow, and can’t be bothered to make public appearances. Sleepy is content to be outranked by Sully.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018

I've heard on podcasts that FSG is very attached to him. That's the core problem. That's why he got that weirdly timed extension.
Burke got very emotional recently too when asked about if a coaching change is needed.
Sully has clearly played his cards right with his superiors behind the scenes.

Hextall I could see not being enamoured with him at this point, but I question if he has the balls to fire him and piss people off. Or maybe it would get blocked altogether.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've heard on podcasts that FSG is very attached to him. That's the core problem. That's why he got that weirdly timed extension.
Burke got very emotional recently too when asked about if a coaching change is needed.
Sully has clearly played his cards right with his superiors behind the scenes.

Hextall I could see not being enamoured with him at this point, but I question if he has the balls to go through with it and piss people off.
I don't think Hextall has the power to fire Sullivan, even if he wanted to. Just like JR threw a hissy fit because he didn't have the power to trade one of the Big Three, it's likely the same with Hextall and Sullivan.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There is no chance Sleepy has the power to fire Sully after that dumbass extension. Even he could, he wouldn’t, though.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
A different system and new voice but you're right that the core is too old to carry the team night after night for a full season anymore.
Not carry it, do it's job

Yeah, I could definitely see that being the case, especially since Hextall was not a FSG hire and may be gone in the summer.
Put the crack pipe down........... for good this time, Hextall is going nowhere

Reactions: Night Shift

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Well, for one, skaters get to rest a lot more. Unless standing all game while puck is in other end is considered rest by you.

Two, the Pens allow 30 shots a game. Probably almost another half of that which don't get through or on net, which the goalie is still having to react to... And everyone being butterfly these days, that's a lot of squats and lunges lol.

Plus mentally taxing.

I mean, CDS should have been able to survive. But whatever.
Standing all game? It's not like they are standing at attention all game, what the hell.
Couldn't over exaggerate 'standing' being exhausting if you tried.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Put the crack pipe down........... for good this time, Hextall is going nowhere
Yeah I get it already, Dynasty. This is like the 10th time you've accused me of taking drugs. Myself among many others you've said this to repeatedly in the last 2 months.
Is the reason drugs are on your mind so much because you're on them?

It just bothers me hearing this from one of the worst posters I've ever seen on HF boards. I've been super tolerant to not respond or report you to this point, but you just don't shutup.

I'd be fine with it if Peat or Deserted Penguin trashed me, but you're not in the same galaxy as these guys. You need to learn humility.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah I get it already, Dynasty. This is like the 10th time you've accused me of taking drugs. Myself among many others you've said this to repeatedly in the last 2 months.
Is the reason drugs are on your mind so much because you're on them?

It just bothers me hearing this from one of the worst posters I've ever seen on HF boards. I've been super tolerant to not respond or report you to this point, but you just don't shutup.

I'd be fine if Peat or Deserted Penguin trashed me, but you're not in the same galaxy as these guys. You need to learn humility.
Dynasty talks a lot about others doing drugs for someone who posts like a Plaintiff against Purdue pharma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad