Votes: 8 22.2%
  • HoG complaining about polls

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Tbh weird game for this team. Jets lost almost like how the Pens have lost games this year. Thought we got slightly outplayed 5v5 but capitalized on special teams and got timely saves. Do I want to play that way every night? No, but a welcome departure from the complete opposite.

Really shows you how different this teams record would be with a functional PP, especially given the futility in 1 goal games.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Is anyone else hoping that Dillon gets 2 games for the hit on Accari just so we can avoid the circus of one of our tough guys( Sid, Geno, Tanger) going after him. :fight:
he has to get two at least, he almost took his head off...

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I know they keep talking about having demoted EK/Malkin from the PP1, however, it seems they are treating the 2 groups as a 1A/1B in terms of PP ice time (roughly 1min each).

I actually like this setup, and notice that each group has a slightly different style. It would be amazing if we could be the 1st team with 2 almost equal PP units :D. Oh..and by equal I mean equivalently good, not equivalently suck, cuz we already have seen enough of the latter.

Good game! Happy to see the win!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know they keep talking about having demoted EK/Malkin from the PP1, however, it seems they are treating the 2 groups as a 1A/1B in terms of PP ice time (roughly 1min each).

I actually like this setup, and notice that each group has a slightly different style. It would be amazing if we could be the 1st team with 2 almost equal PP units :D. Oh..and by equal I mean equivalently good, not equivalently suck, cuz we already have seen enough of the latter.

Good game! Happy to see the win!
I don’t like EK and Geno together though…I would rather they be on separate units…maybe switch Letang and EK or Geno and Smith…

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I don’t like EK and Geno together though…I would rather they be on separate units…maybe switch Letang and EK or Geno and Smith…
I don't know what comes over Letang. Sometimes he plays the PP like a Norris trophy D, other times he's fumbling the puck making stupid passes.

EK/Letang swap may make the most sense as Smith/Geno would basically mean going back to last years PP which also sucked.

Besides, we just scored twice with these units, so I don't see them changing anytime soon.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The mindset of "You looked at our lineup and you couldn't help but figure we'd wrap it up" is the same mindset that exists today.

This is an apples to watermelons comparison

The 1993 team set franchise records up and down the board
This 2023 squad is a coin flip to make the damn playoffs where half the teams get in

Outside of that, it's a perfect analogy

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
exactly...although he finally set him up last night for a onetimer, Geno was visibly more engaged on that PP, but EK was still struggling a little bit. Jets PK wasn't agressive so that helped, lets see how they do with a more agressive PK. Also Geno sliding down to hug that left post does not make any sense what so ever..
Eller is kind of OK on that left flank and Rakell in the middle the problem with PP2 there are no puck retrievers, once the puck is on the wall, its probably cleared...

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Puustinen's not good enough for top-six yet and Smith is playing disheartened hockey.
If they plan to make an attempt at winning a round then they gotta do something here.
Malkin needs more support.
Give Jesse a shot, when he is healthy and confident he can be a nightmare for opposition defence.

Remember Mcdavid's comments after Pulju's first return from Finland den he was healthy and rolling he said he was the best "forchecker" he has ever played with.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Give Jesse a shot, when he is healthy and confident he can be a nightmare for opposition defence.

Remember Mcdavid's comments after Pulju's first return from Finland den he was healthy and rolling he said he was the best "forchecker" he has ever played with.
I wish him the best but have zero offensive expectations from him. His skating looked pretty sketchy last night. Feel like the Pens need to look outside the organization here. His scoring was bad even before double-hip surgery.
Excellent defensive player though, for sure. Useful bottom-sixer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wish him the best but have zero offensive expectations from him. His skating looked pretty sketchy last night. Feel like the Pens need to look outside the organization here. His scoring was bad even before double-hip surgery.

Isn't that just evergreen for anyone in our bottom six?

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I thought he was pretty good. Love his size and seems to have the ability to make things happen. He seems like a more talented and sturdy Zahorna.

Hopefully he can find his own on our bottom 6. Can only hope!

I do want to see him get a shot on the PP1 as the net front. Maybe move Smith down to PP2, which should give that unit better hands.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
Good luck with that. Our genius coaches seems to think Jake does that job just fine. You know, in defiance of physics.

It’s in the coaches handbook that it’s best to play your 110lb 5’5” players as a net front presence.
C45E3309-5614-43FD-A351-35D397B150A0.jpeg

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
This is an apples to watermelons comparison

The 1993 team set franchise records up and down the board
This 2023 squad is a coin flip to make the damn playoffs where half the teams get in
The 1993 team is a case of "You looked at our lineup and you couldn't help but figure we'd wrap it up", the 'it' in this instance, beating the Islanders in a playoff series.
The 2023 squad is a case of "You looked at our lineup and you couldn't help but figure we'd wrap it up", the 'it' in this instance beating the Sabres, Senators, etc., in any particular game and making the playoffs.
Two identical scenarios, where the players/organization believe that because they're the better team on paper, then they'll get the results they want merely by showing up.

Good luck with that. Our genius coaches seems to think Jake does that job just fine. You know, in defiance of physics.
Yeah, totally. We have players who are just clamoring to go to the net front but the silly coaches keep putting Guentzel there.
And you know that every forward just loves going to the net front, because they're constantly doing so at 5-on-5.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
58 scored a really sick goal.

I think if Sid, EK65 or Geno scored it we'd have people slobbering on here.

Good on the PP and Jarry. Meh on the rest although the game situation dictated that somewhat.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The 1993 team is a case of "You looked at our lineup and you couldn't help but figure we'd wrap it up", the 'it' in this instance, beating the Islanders in a playoff series.
The 2023 squad is a case of "You looked at our lineup and you couldn't help but figure we'd wrap it up", the 'it' in this instance beating the Sabres, Senators, etc., in any particular game and making the playoffs.
Two identical scenarios, where the players/organization believe that because they're the better team on paper, then they'll get the results they want merely by showing up.
"Identical scenarios"? Wow...talk about a stretch of logic

The 93 team had the right to say "we'll walk out there and take care of business" because they had done so for the past 7 months

This recent iteration hasn't done jack all in the past 7 YEARS to have such confidence.
But yes, please continue on how these past 2 years are carbon copies of what occurred 30 years ago

Just wow

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
"Identical scenarios"? Wow...talk about a stretch of logic

The 93 team had the right to say "we'll walk out there and take care of business" because they had done so for the past 7 months
Did they really have the right to say that, considering they failed?
This recent iteration hasn't done jack all in the past 7 YEARS to have such confidence.
And yet, at least at times when playing teams considered to be weaker, they clearly do.
But yes, please continue on how these past 2 years are carbon copies of what occurred 30 years ago
It's not really just the past 2 years. It's a mindset that's existed continuously since then. The exceptions would be from 2002-2006, but then again, there weren't too many weaker teams to overlook during those seasons.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Did they really have the right to say that, considering they failed?

Is this a serious or rhetorical question? I think you're being willfully obtuse here, but I'll play along

Obviously no team should take that mindset. But you can excuse such thinking if you were back to back champs facing a team that wasn't that good on paper.

I would also give grace to the 2018 Pens squad if they had the same mindset since they just went back to back

But these past couple of years? Zero f***ing excuse and points to an entitled coach and core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad