Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Flyers | win | Won it for Letang, Geno took dumb penalties in honor of Letang

Letang

• Overrated

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Underrated

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Rated properly

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I’ll never get the idea that Desmith sucks. He is a standard sub 2 million back up.

People want to give Andersen a contract next year and he has a worse SV% than Desmith in the most protective defensive system in the league.
GAA is by no means a perfect metric, but in this case I think it's worth it to point out given the disparity. Andersen has a 2.42 GAA on the season and CDS has a 3.17. The difference in save percentage, meanwhile, is .06.

Andersen is a career .915 guy with almost 500 games under his belt and at 33 hopefully won't command as much term as Jarry will on his next contract.

Andersen has proven many times throughout his career he can be "the guy", playing over 50 games in 6 seasons and over 60 games in 3 seasons. So if there is no goalie trade out there ala Vejmelka/Gibson I'd rather give the Jarry money to him.

Despite what some yinzers may think, CDS is in no universe "the guy" and should be shipped out, ideally in such a Vejmelka/Gibson trade.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah. 94 defensemen have 5 or more goals this year. Petry, POJ and Letang are the Penguins on the list.

Of those 94, only three average less ice time per game than POJ.

If 94 defensemen have five goals, that's about 3 per team. So the Penguins are pretty much average, there. Could they get more from the defense? Sure. But that might have more to do with the other defensemen and not Letang, Petry and POJ.

Small addendum: 94 defensemen have 5 goals or more. It's a bit misleading to put it that way because it ignores the fact that many of the defensemen on that list have *more* than 5 goals. And in a lot of cases, much more.

For instance, Carolina has 4 guys with 5 goals or more. Only one more than the Pens, right? No big deal? Except for the fact they've gotten 17, 14, 7 and 6 out of those four. Even if you ignore Chatfield's 6 and just focus on the top three guys versus the Pens' top three guys, you've got 17, 14, and 7 versus 10, 5 and 5. So it's misleading to just look at the "5" part and ignore the "or more" part since what makes Carolina's defense impressive is the "5 or more" crowd is actually higher than just sitting on 5.

Put it another way. Even if all 6 defensemen scored exactly 5 goals, that's not going to be a very impressive defense corps as a whole because that's shitty production (30 total goals) from your defense. 5 goals from your defenseman is about the equivalent of having 15 goal scoring forwards. You're a rather mediocre team if you've got a bunch of 15 goal scorers, even if you have 9 of them, if only one of them actually has scored *more* than just 15 goals.

*Note for the second time - this isn't about POJ. It's about this idea that getting 5 goals from a defenseman is impressive. The only "impressive" part is he's doing it in limited usage. The actual amount is meh.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Small addendum: 94 defensemen have 5 goals or more. It's a bit misleading to put it that way because it ignores the fact that many of the defensemen on that list have *more* than 5 goals. And in a lot of cases, much more.

For instance, Carolina has 4 guys with 5 goals or more. Only one more than the Pens, right? No big deal? Except for the fact they've gotten 17, 14, 7 and 6 out of those four. Even if you ignore Chatfield's 6 and just focus on the top three guys versus the Pens' top three guys, you've got 17, 14, and 7 versus 10, 5 and 5. So it's misleading to just look at the "5" part and ignore the "or more" part since what makes Carolina's defense impressive is the "5 or more" crowd is actually higher than just sitting on 5.

Put it another way. Even if all 6 defensemen scored exactly 5 goals, that's not going to be a very impressive defense corps as a whole because that's shitty production (30 total goals) from your defense. 5 goals from your defenseman is about the equivalent of having 15 goal scoring forwards. You're a rather mediocre team if you've got a bunch of 15 goal scorers, even if you have 9 of them, if only one of them actually has scored *more* than just 15 goals.

*Note for the second time - this isn't about POJ. It's about this idea that getting 5 goals from a defenseman is impressive. The only "impressive" part is he's doing it in limited usage. The actual amount is meh.

I think that has a lot to do with our team being built around alleged forward depth versus defensive depth.

For example the teams that follow our team structure in terms of cap allocation are Toronto and Edmonton and their defensive goal scoring is similar to ours.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
And now for the other side of the equation lol…IMO, both guys need short leashes…if Jarry looks like he’s giving up soft goals or not moving well, then yank him and put in CDS…but yeah, goaltending is going to be a reason again why we don’t move on whether we get in the playoffs or not…

Reactions: vikingGoalie

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think that has a lot to do with our team being built around alleged forward depth versus defensive depth.

For example the teams that follow our team structure in terms of cap allocation are Toronto and Edmonton and their defensive goal scoring is similar to ours.
Eh, with Edmonton it was clear that prior to the addition of Ekholm, defense was their weakest spot on the roster. So I don't think they'd be an example of a good defense corps that doesn't score that much. Instead, they're more of a mediocre defense corps that doesn't score much.

In any case, prior to the Barrie trade they had Barrie at 10 goals, Nurse has 11 goals, and Bouchard has 6 goals. While not "great", it's still an example of even a mediocre defense scoring more than ours does as only Letang can match their top two guys.

As for Toronto, I think they're similar to the Pens in that they just have a bunch of muffin shots. With Muzzin going down for the year and with Giordano old and basically just a "safe defensive guy" now, they have a bunch of muffin shooters like Rielly, Brodie, and Holl taking up spots on their D.

So I don't necessarily think it's a case of teams that follow our cap structure (ie. spend more on forwards) as it is the type of defensemen you add to your roster and the type of system the coach employs. For instance, we're paying both Pettersson and Dumoulin $4+ million per year. That money can buy you guys who can score more than 1 goal in a season, but we just choose to allocate $8 million to two guys who might not even crack 5 goals in most seasons BETWEEN them.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Eh, with Edmonton it was clear that prior to the addition of Ekholm, defense was their weakest spot on the roster. So I don't think they'd be an example of a good defense corps that doesn't score that much. Instead, they're more of a mediocre defense corps that doesn't score much.

In any case, prior to the Barrie trade they had Barrie at 10 goals, Nurse has 11 goals, and Bouchard has 6 goals. While not "great", it's still an example of even a mediocre defense scoring more than ours does as only Letang can match their top two guys.

As for Toronto, I think they're similar to the Pens in that they just have a bunch of muffin shots. With Muzzin going down for the year and with Giordano old and basically just a "safe defensive guy" now, they have a bunch of muffin shooters like Rielly, Brodie, and Holl taking up spots on their D.

So I don't necessarily think it's a case of teams that follow our cap structure (ie. spend more on forwards) as it is the type of defensemen you add to your roster and the type of system the coach employs. For instance, we're paying both Pettersson and Dumoulin $4+ million per year. That money can buy you guys who can score more than 1 goal in a season, but we just choose to allocate $8 million to two guys who might not even crack 5 goals in most seasons BETWEEN them.

I blame Sullivan for this, tbh.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Malkin is #10 in points this year among ALL centers at the age of 36.

My goodness man. I get it you're very upset with Geno for your own reasons. Respect to you for the energy you put towards your passions.

Cool…how’s the team look?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
medium

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Hey, we held a lead in the third period again. Hopefully, it's the start of a trend.
Now we just need to re-learn how to hold a tie in the third period, at least for the last few games of the regular season.
Not really. Any other team and that's blown.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Very hard to be on a message board reading posts that can't spell "Save".

But yea here is Geno not playing defense

If you'd like some other examples of him not playing defense, I've got plenty of evidence if you'd like to see it. But you seem super smart and can use the internets, I'm sure

I was trolling

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The Fan is an interesting experiment where they gave microphones to dinosaur newspaper reporters and a bunch of dudes who are only qualified to be roofers and let them say stuff to rile yinzers up.
Hey, I found their retrospective on Donnie Iris AND the Clarks to be insightful and informative and also why don't kids want to play guitar anymore? I blame video games and the hip hop.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Hey, I found their retrospective on Donnie Iris AND the Clarks to be insightful and informative and also why don't kids want to play guitar anymore? I blame video games and the hip hop.
Donnie Iris is the prime apex predator and why should our precious children suffer calluses on three fingers learning D chords when Jake Paul clearly shows the way to glory? C'mon, man. Come back to Merika. We're still #1.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
The Fan is an interesting experiment where they gave microphones to dinosaur newspaper reporters and a bunch of dudes who are only qualified to be roofers and let them say stuff to rile yinzers up.

I'd spend a good half a day considering the benefits of living in a van down by the river before I let Colin Dunlap anywhere near my roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad