Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Not blaming the goalie because the players in front of him shouldn't necessarily absolve him of any wrong doing. He'S the last line of defense, he's also culpable!
Ryder, he allowed three goals in regulation, one of which was a shorty breakaway, took us into O.T., and was beaten on Orlov's shot that no way in hell was his fault. He's not culpable for jack shit. Not a great game, but certainly not the reason we lost.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ryder, he allowed three goals in regulation, one of which was a shorty breakaway, took us into O.T., and was beaten on Orlov's shot that no way in hell was his fault. He's not culpable for jack shit. Not a great game, but certainly not the reason we lost.
Samsonov outplayed him, plain and simple. And I absolutely blame him on that Sprong goal. He left the post when he shouldn't have. You're not gonna win playing a mediocre brand of goaltending. And of late that's exactly what his play at best has been, mediocre.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Um, I'm not going "keyboard expert" on you here, but like, do you watch Pens/Kings games? It usually isn't a good match for us, even when they're horrible. And predicting Pens/Caps is a fool's errand.
Truthfully, in the game he let up the six goals in LA, I didn't blame him one bit. As a team it was our worst game of the season. We were terrible in front of him. If you can play great in net and give up six goals that game would be your poster child. I look beyond the numbers and take everything into account, but the Kings game here in Pit he was ''meh'' at best. And being ''meh'' isn't gonna cut it. It's not the fact that his play has slipped, that can be expected. It's the degree it has slipped.

He went from vezina finalist level for the majority of the season, to back up journeymen level in his last few starts. Visually his play has slipped, and he's deeper in the crease. Fundamentally he's been off a bit. And his numbers reflect that. Numbers don't always depict the story accurately, but on these matters I believe it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Are we defending Jarry now? Three out of last four games at home he’s played loosy goosy a little…you can see it on some plays, even plays where no goal happened…it’s ok, you can’t be focused on your details all the time, the skaters certainly aren’t…but to say that Jarry hasn’t fallen off a little, just like some of the skaters have, would be inaccurate…it’s alright, it’s just that given what happened to him at the end of last season and post season, people start to overreact…I want to see him back to quiet domination after the break…it would certainly make me feel better lol

Reactions: Ryder71

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
the biggest need that i see is someone that will/can clear the front of the net. way too often we see guy's standing alone in front of our goalie untouched. (with our defense men just watching them) the only defense man we have that has shown any consistency in that area has been banished to wbs never to be seen again.

Reactions: Victor Z

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Management preached that we need to get more physical, but completely failed in addressing it.

This team is no different than the team that flamed out last season, only less physical. Some of the depth crap players sleepy signed started off well, but they have all vanished for the most part, but no one mentions that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Management preached that we need to get more physical, but completely failed in addressing it.

This team is no different than the team that flamed out last season, only less physical. Some of the depth crap players sleepy signed started off well, but they have all vanished for the most part, but no one mentions that.
We miss Teddy, very underrated player. Our secondary scoring was always in a precarious state. If one or two key pieces get removed it could unravel quite a bit. When we're healthy or close to it, the depth looks rather impressive. But Teddy, Zucker and a cooled off Heinen are out. That's three pretty good pieces that aren't playing. And it's not just what they produce on the scoresheet, they're all pretty responsible away from the puck. We miss that aspect of things as well.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We miss Teddy, very underrated player. Our secondary scoring was always in a precarious state. If one or two key pieces get removed it could unravel quite a bit. When we're healthy or close to it, the depth looks rather impressive. But Teddy, Zucker and a cooled off Heinen are out. That's three pretty good pieces that aren't playing. And it's not just what they produce on the scoresheet, they're all pretty responsible away from the puck. We miss that aspect of things as well.
Blueger has nothing to do with Sleepy signing garbage players like Simon and ZAR or Erod and Heinen vanishing.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Blueger has nothing to do with Sleepy signing garbage players like Simon and ZAR or Erod and Heinen vanishing.
Sure it does. When Teddy was playing he was gelling well with McGinn, as a 4th line they were killing it. And No one could expect ERod nor Heinen to produce at those levels for a full season. With Zucker out we got McGinn playing in the top six a bit. Good player to be sure but definitely out of his element a bit. When players aren't put in their best position by which to succeed these things happen. Boyle is serviceable but a decided downgrade from TB. OUR PK has also taken a huge step backward.

I'm with you on ZAR and Simon though 100%!

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Samsonov outplayed him, plain and simple. And I absolutely blame him on that Sprong goal. He left the post when he shouldn't have. You're not gonna win playing a mediocre brand of goaltending. And of late that's exactly what his play at best has been, mediocre.
I already conceded the Sprong goal was a bad one. Bad positioning by Jarry, but more to blame was Ruh's ineffectual D on that. We went to OT. I'm not a Jar defender, but he wasn't the reason we lost. I will now walk away from this dead horse.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Are we defending Jarry now? Three out of last four games at home he’s played loosy goosy a little…you can see it on some plays, even plays where no goal happened…it’s ok, you can’t be focused on your details all the time, the skaters certainly aren’t…but to say that Jarry hasn’t fallen off a little, just like some of the skaters have, would be inaccurate…it’s alright, it’s just that given what happened to him at the end of last season and post season, people start to overreact…I want to see him back to quiet domination after the break…it would certainly make me feel better lol
If that is directed to me, Andy, no, I'm not even involved in a generic Jarry defense. I'm specifically responding to comments about the Caps game. Jars wasn't good, nor was he awful, and certainly wasn't the reason we lost. It is a bit more complicated than just blaming the G. Maybe the Penguins are returning to the mean? Playing .890 hockey was not sustainable, and requires some good luck. In any case, we have a season's slate of games with the Rangers and Bruins coming on quickly, I think we'll have our answers soon enough. Talk about goaltending, wait until you see NY...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I already conceded the Sprong goal was a bad one. Bad positioning by Jarry, but more to blame was Ruh's ineffectual D on that. We went to OT. I'm not a Jar defender, but he wasn't the reason we lost. I will now walk away from this dead horse.
He contributed to our loss. Wasn't the only reason, but he was a reason. One bad goal can decide a game. We can agree to disagree.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If that is directed to me, Andy, no, I'm not even involved in a generic Jarry defense. I'm specifically responding to comments about the Caps game. Jars wasn't good, nor was he awful, and certainly wasn't the reason we lost. It is a bit more complicated than just blaming the G. Maybe the Penguins are returning to the mean? Playing .890 hockey was not sustainable, and requires some good luck. In any case, we have a season's slate of games with the Rangers and Bruins coming on quickly, I think we'll have our answers soon enough. Talk about goaltending, wait until you see NY...

here’s the thing…the Pens have fallen off in a lot of respects since their run that got everyone excited…but I, maybe more than others, thought the team was always pretty weak in front of their net and conversely, they had some lucky bouts of normally mediocre shooters getting deflections off of opposing Dmen’s asses etc…so we were getting a bit lucky in that respect lol…but the biggest factor in our record was Jarry playing with a huge horseshoe up his ass and a huge goals saved above expected (Shesterkin is incredible in this regard)…as soon as Jarry started letting in 3-4 goals a game, I knew our win-loss record would fall off a cliff, as it has…the reality is that without Jarry playing above his weight class (or some other goalie), we have no chance to go very far in the playoffs…the team is too old, doesn’t have enough great shooters, and plays a defensive style that allows shots to get through if the D men aren’t positioned well to block or use their stick…that’s why I don’t get those fans thinking we’re a contender lol

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
here’s the thing…the Pens have fallen off in a lot of respects since their run that got everyone excited…but I, maybe more than others, thought the team was always pretty weak in front of their net and conversely, they had some lucky bouts of normally mediocre shooters getting deflections off of opposing Dmen’s asses etc…so we were getting a bit lucky in that respect lol…but the biggest factor in our record was Jarry playing with a huge horseshoe up his ass and a huge goals saved above expected (Shesterkin is incredible in this regard)…as soon as Jarry started letting in 3-4 goals a game, I knew our win-loss record would fall off a cliff, as it has…the reality is that without Jarry playing above his weight class (or some other goalie), we have no chance to go very far in the playoffs…the team is too old, doesn’t have enough great shooters, and plays a defensive style that allows shots to get through if the D men aren’t positioned well to block or use their stick…that’s why I don’t get those fans thinking we’re a contender lol
Excellent post Andy, well said!

Reactions: Andy99

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sprong got that Lafferty hairline. Dude looks like a beach at high tide.
AXQWnHG.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad