Pre-Game Talk: Pens vs. Canes - 1/12/16

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
The Pre-game Talk is taking way too long to go up, so I'll do the honors and kick it off.

Looking forward to more Pens hockey after a 3 day vacation.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
This next two games are of critical importance in making sure JR does not get nervous. Nervous old men tend to go back to their old tricks and we definitely do not want that. With the east being this tight, practically every game is like a 4 pointer. Expect an eager Penguins squad tonight showing they are better than the spot they are now fighting for!

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
If they can't beat lowly Carolina, they're dead to me.

Ha, I wouldn't go that far but I expect them to win and win somewhat decisively. The other time they played the Canes under Sullivan I'm willing to forget since it was still kind of early in his tenure. The way they've mostly looked as of late they should win this game.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
This next two games are of critical importance in making sure JR does not get nervous. Nervous old men tend to go back to their old tricks and we definitely do not want that. With the east being this tight, practically every game is like a 4 pointer. Expect an eager Penguins squad tonight showing they are better than the spot they are now fighting for!

Would love to see him get back to his last idea when he felt the lockerroom needed a wake up call. If I remember correctly it was Kunitz who should've been traded. You know you want it :naughty:

But I would also love to see us claim a wild card spot. Opposite to a lot of posters I want to see us making the playoffs. Mostly in fear of JR trading Malkin if we miss.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Carolina isn't playing too bad lately. They have rowdy fans and usually play with energy at home.

This won't be an easy game.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Would love to see him get back to his last idea when he felt the lockerroom needed a wake up call. If I remember correctly it was Kunitz who should've been traded. You know you want it :naughty:

But I would also love to see us claim a wild card spot. Opposite to a lot of posters I want to see us making the playoffs. Mostly in fear of JR trading Malkin if we miss.

Why stop there? The 2 NY teams are very catchable since they play them so many times in the second half. It would be nice to have home ice in the first round after a dismal first half.

There's honestly no team I fear in the East, it's the big boys out west that would eat this team alive.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Carolina isn't playing too bad lately. They have rowdy fans and usually play with energy at home.

This won't be an easy game.
At least we're not in a position to take them for granted though. This said i don't think Sullivan's coaching style allows for too much complaisance! :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why stop there? The 2 NY teams are very catchable since they play them so many times in the second half. It would be nice to have home ice in the first round after a dismal first half.

There's honestly no team I fear in the East, it's the big boys out west that would eat this team alive.

If the Pens can get themselves firmly into a wildcard spot by March, they likely have a shot at 2nd in the division with 3 games against NYR and NYI in March. Conversely, they could blow most of those games and lose a spot near the end of the season. Such a weird schedule but will make for an entertaining second half.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
If the Pens can get themselves firmly into a wildcard spot by March, they likely have a shot at 2nd in the division with 3 games against NYR and NYI in March. Conversely, they could blow most of those games and lose a spot near the end of the season. Such a weird schedule but will make for an entertaining second half.

Honestly I kinda like it. For so many years now, the second half of the season was just a formality for this team. Last time they had to scratch and crawl to the playoffs, they brought home Lord Stanley.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015

I was only talking about tonight :laugh: Agree that the NY tems are bot possible. But I am actually afraid of the Caps. They have a very good team and Holtby is playing really really good. Won't get a lot going against them with Ben ****ing Lovejoy playing the third most minutes on your team. :help:

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
We had to scratch and claw to get in last year, and did not win the cup, or come close, is Brooks' point I believe.

Totally different circumstances. Last year they had a huge cushion from the first half, injuries killed them in the second half.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hello, my other team of choice. I present Carolina's lines for tonight.

#32 Versteeg - #12 E. Staal (C) - #16 Lindholm
#42 Nordstrom - #11 J. Staal (A) - #15 Nestrasil
#53 Skinner - #49 Rask - #23 McGinn
#24 Malone - #18 McClement - #20 Nash

#26 Liles - #27 Faulk (A)
#74 Slavin - #65 Hainsey
#5 Hanifin - #54 Pesce

#30 Ward
#31 Lack

Scratches:
#14 Gerbe (IR, 11/22 - Out 4-6 weeks, lower body)
#21 Wisniewski (IR, 10/8 - Out 6 months, ACL)
#25 Terry (Healthy)
#34 Di Giuseppe (1/2 - Day-to-Day, concussion)
#47 Jordan (Healthy)

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
The Canes are only two points back of the Pens.. They would have a much better record if their goalies weren't so terrible.

The Pens have 2 games in hand as well, don't forget that very important point.

The Pens would have a much better record if Kessel and Crosby scored like they usually do, you can play the excuse game for any team. Last time I checked it was important having a good goalie in Hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad