Post-Game Talk: Pens try to play hockey against Isles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
It's not even lineup decisions, or player usage, or Xs and Os, or any of that stuff... It's the effort. They've been playing at an unacceptable level for too many games. It's no longer the odd game here or there. It's every damn game now.

Again, though, it depends on the playoffs. If they look like this come playoff time, then you have to look at Sully.
You gotta be f***ing joking right? Look at Sully for what? See what kind of suit he’s wearing? You’re prepared to fire the head coach who has two consecutive Cups and has never lost a playoff series? And just who do you have in mind to replace him with that’s going to do any better?

Reactions: zero8771

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I have a feeling that this is going to be a situation where they squeak into the playoffs and get a huge wake up call in the 1st round. It's anyone's guess if they'll wake up in time to stave off elimination.

Reactions: Angrrus

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We were so much better before the deadline.

Have to think JR messed with the locker room. They look joyless out there. Uninspired. Nothing to play for.

Brassard destroyed it and Cole and Reaves held it together?

I don’t think so. If you play bad, you play bad it’s generally that simple. Players might have off nights but you can still skate hard and position yourself well.

Reactions: Angrrus and ncm7772

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
You gotta be ****ing joking right? Look at Sully for what? See what kind of suit he’s wearing? You’re prepared to fire the head coach who has two consecutive Cups and has never lost a playoff series? And just who do you have in mind to replace him with that’s going to do any better?
Do I need to quote Therrien for the passion this team shows? OK I DO

Reactions: Angrrus

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Pens are not "All IN."

That's okay, neither am I.

N is for Neville who died of Ennui.

As for the Pens hard to make a read on them. It really depends on which narrative is true.

1. Deeply flawed team who is exhausted/stupid/old/(fill in the blank) and will fade quickly in the playoffs.

2. Smart team of vets who can flip the switch at will and are conserving themselves for when the games matter.

You could make a compelling case for either based on what we have seen from this team at times.

Letang's stupidity is the only constant throughout the two competing narratives.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
You gotta be ****ing joking right? Look at Sully for what? See what kind of suit he’s wearing? You’re prepared to fire the head coach who has two consecutive Cups and has never lost a playoff series? And just who do you have in mind to replace him with that’s going to do any better?

If the players play like this when the games matter (the playoffs), then you certainly have to make a call on the coach. The effort - which Sullivan emphasizes - isn't there right now. I mean... do you really want to watch this team play through another full season if they've tuned him out?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
sully seemed particualrly upset after the tonight game, he said that the inconsistency they are showing going into the playoffs is troubling. I trust him.
I think its kind of a perfect storm, Phil and Geno to alesser degree cooling off, Sid basically semi-struggling, Jake, rust, brassard and sheary as a second tier very incosistent, our forwards just lazy and unispired effort skating back, backchecking and transition defnse giving up numerous odd breaks and high scoring chances (our goalies have worst save percentage in the league and yet most of the nights they actually play ok)

Sully can not coach the effort, sometimes players just don't respond especially after all the games they won in the last two years, does he make sometmes weird line decisios - yes but he usually ends up righting the ship...this time ZI jsut have feeling that he worries that the players don't respons the way they have done in the past...

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
It has nothing to do with them "winning a 3rd straight cup". That's where your like most people these days who claim they're good listeners, ha.

Sully has crapped the bed from day one with this season. I am not going to waste my time writing all of the examples only to have someone with your lack of depth respond with the classic " YOU WANTED YAKUPOV".

Yawn

Get back to me next year when the 2 cups have completely faded and Sully is doubling down on his stubbornness.

You seem to have more than enough time on your hands, so enlighten me.

Right now, all you have is the generic, cut and paste fury of every poster on every other board that's frustrated with their team.

Come on Scotty, teach me some stuff.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We needed the injuries to ZAR and Simon to have happened before the deadline, not right after.

Would have probably added a winger for Sids line.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Philly getting at least a point, going to OT

Mackinnon with two more points...

The hits just keep on coming...
A few weeks ago we were talking about winning the division, and seeing Geno in for the Richard and Art Ross (as well as Phil creeping up in the scoring race).

Seems like a distant memory now. The window on all those things were flung wide open and then the Pens cooled way off.

It’s not so much the fact that players and team cooled off, though, it’s about the fact that everyone around them seems to be heating up and playing much better. Any potential first round matchup (outside of the flyers) will come in with great form and recent results. And then the get the stuttering two time champions who look ripe for a takedown.

The got MM back. Now get ZAR and Simon back. Then hopefully you get Crosby’s line back. Then get Brassard and Phil figured out and start rolling three scary lines again.

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
We were so much better before the deadline.

Have to think JR messed with the locker room. They look joyless out there. Uninspired. Nothing to play for.
Of all the things guys are saying here in this thread and others, this is what I fear the most. I ask, are we witnessing the effect of something that we are not privy to know of (ala in the locker room)? I really hope not.

On the other hand, I really cannot forgive Sullivan for the Hunwick debacle. It was so obvious that #2 was on the shelf, and much better, but he kept on plugging #32 thinking it would be different (and mind you I do realize that they had to pimp him out there to generate trade interest) but was it really worth losing to Carolina, or Detroit or Arizona( i think this one might be last year)? you guys be the judge. that is one decision that I still fullly dont understand. In other matters, I feel like Sullivan is still a good coach and would like to give him the benefit of the doubt even for the line combinations that he puts out there even when to us it may seem asinine.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
A few weeks ago we were talking about winning the division, and seeing Geno in for the Richard and Art Ross (as well as Phil creeping up in the scoring race).

Seems like a distant memory now. The window on all those things were flung wide open and then the Pens cooled way off.

It’s not so much the fact that players and team cooled off, though, it’s about the fact that everyone around them seems to be heating up and playing much better. Any potential first round matchup (outside of the flyers) will come in with great form and recent results. And then the get the stuttering two time champions who look ripe for a takedown.

The got MM back. Now get ZAR and Simon back. Then hopefully you get Crosby’s line back. Then get Brassard and Phil figured out and start rolling three scary lines again.
Cool off now, collect reconfigure and go into the playoffs hot. Still have plenty of time to get it right.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
If the players play like this when the games matter (the playoffs), then you certainly have to make a call on the coach. The effort - which Sullivan emphasizes - isn't there right now. I mean... do you really want to watch this team play through another full season if they've tuned him out?
I don’t know what has given you any indication that has happened. It’s quite possible that the players just haven’t been playing to the level that they need to or are saving themselves for the playoffs. Mike Sullivan isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. To even suggest that as a possibility is quite ridiculous. Again - they have over 20 wins and less than 10 losses since the calendar changed to 2018. Didn’t hear too many people calling for his head when they were winning a bunch.

And I’ll ask you the same thing I asked someone else. Do you think Joel Quenneville is a garbage coach that needs fired?

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Brassard destroyed it and Cole and Reaves held it together?

I don’t think so. If you play bad, you play bad it’s generally that simple. Players might have off nights but you can still skate hard and position yourself well.
Who on this team is going to hold players accountable for not playing hard though? Who in the locker room is going to speak up? Guys like Hainsey, Cullen, Daley, Kunitz, and yeah, Cole and Reaves are sorely missed.

And also, it seems like Brassard is the only trade accusation this deadline that isn't doing anything. And considering he was a big ticket item, that's problematic right now. I mean, even vet plug Eric Fehr has 3 goals in his last 5 games with the Sharks.

Reactions: Extra Texture

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
I don’t know what has given you any indication that has happened. It’s quite possible that the players just haven’t been playing to the level that they need to or are saving themselves for the playoffs. Mike Sullivan isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. To even suggest that as a possibility is quite ridiculous. Again - they have over 20 wins and less than 10 losses since the calendar changed to 2018. Didn’t hear too many people calling for his head when they were winning a bunch.

And I’ll ask you the same thing I asked someone else. Do you think Joel Quenneville is a garbage coach that needs fired?
I think Sullivan is a good coach. The one issue that is still very sour for me: playing Hunwick night in and night out while #2 was sitting on the shelf. That was just inexcusable and so obvious. I have no idea what they (the GM and the coach) were trying to figure out. I really am interested in people's take on this specific aspect of the season wrt to Sullivan's decison wtith this and with sitting Cole out

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Cool off now, collect reconfigure and go into the playoffs hot. Still have plenty of time to get it right.
Agreed, completely.

Not long now, but with 10 games left to look this uninspired, to have the coach clearly be pissed and asking questions of veteran guys, well, I’d rather have that mini crisis than just muddle along. Because these guys have some pride and will dig deeper.

Getting Aston Reese and Simon back will be huge IMO. It’s crazy to say that, but one constant has been the vigor and enthusiasm young guys have injected into the Pens over the last couple of years.

I just hope these guys getting back, and the associated ripples that creates in the lineup, is enough to get 87 and Brass lines going. Otherwise IMO put back Jake-Sheahan-Phil back together

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Who on this team is going to hold players accountable for not playing hard though? Who in the locker room is going to speak up? Guys like Hainsey, Daley, Kunitz, and yeah, Cole and Reaves are sorely missed.
Did we move Horny?
And also, it seems like Brassard is the only trade accusation this deadline that isn't doing anything. And considering he was a big ticket item, that's problematic right now. I mean, even vet plug Eric Fehr has 3 goals in his last 5 games with the Sharks.
Brassard was our best player tonight by a longshot imo.

Reactions: Angrrus and BHD

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Who on this team is going to hold players accountable for not playing hard though? Who in the locker room is going to speak up? Guys like Hainsey, Daley, Kunitz, and yeah, Cole and Reaves are sorely missed.

Did you take a video so we could also see those guys holding everyone accountable when you were in the locker room?

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I think Sullivan is a good coach. The one issue that is still very sour for me: playing Hunwick night in and night out while #2 was sitting on the shelf. That was just inexcusable and so obvious. I have no idea what they (the GM and the coach) were trying to figure out. I really am interested in people's take on this specific aspect of the season wrt to Sullivan's decison wtith this and with sitting Cole out
If our biggest complaint about Sullivan is which #6 defenseman he used for a stretch of games, then I’d say we’re grasping at straws. Hunwick had some horrible games, no doubt, but we’re talking about the #6 defenseman for Christ sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad