Confirmed with Link: Pens trade Philip Samuelsson to Arizona for Rob Klinkhammer, conditional 2016 pick

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We traded a guy we wasted a 2nd rounder on because of his last name for a young guy with huge size. Bumps either Sill or Adams out of the lineup, which in itself is worth trading Samuelsson.

Fraction Jackson

Mar 1, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Living out here, I catch a decent number of Coyotes games. Klinkhammer is pretty solid. Off our current roster I think the closest comparable is Comeau - although Colonel Klink has a pretty noticable size advantage. He plays big, is a great possession player, and while he doesn't have a ton of skill, he's not completely useless in that department either. He tends to put up points in bunches and then go quiet a while, but he's a useful depth guy when he's not scoring. It's kind of like he only sometimes remembers that he has decent hands. He's not a top 6 answer, obviously, although considering our depth right now he might get a look until people get back from injuries.

When healthy, we could conceivably look like this:

Spaling-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau
Bennett-Sutter-Downie
Klink-Goc-Megna

That's not bad. Ideally you want to find a top six guy to be able to move Spaling out of the top six for good. Of course we could do that by flipping Bennett and Spaling, but BB on the 3rd line gives us a lot of depth. Of course, in a really ideal world, Comeau would be a bottom six guy too, but in all likelihood we're only going to get one guy that's a top 6 option. At that point Spaling slides down, either Megna or Klink sit, and things are looking good.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Wasn't Samuelsson on waivers to start the season? Or am I remembering that wrong?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Seriously Phillip was going nowhere and I thought he was worse than Engo when I saw him play at the NHL level. So i honestly don't care about this trade at all.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Klinkhammer actually has decent scoring ability for a fourth liner. When we are healthy, him and Goc should make that fourth line pretty dangerous.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
That's pretty good value for us. Samuelsson was never going to make the roster anyway.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't like when people post youtubes of one goal, though. Even Glass/Adams had a highlight goal before.

Remember Glass's backhand? Show that to any average fan and he might think Glass is worth picking up.

Anyone have an actual scouting report on this guy? Maybe who randomly watches a lot of Phoenix games? Man... too bad this isn't Vitale... :sarcasm:

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Samuelsson were never gonna cracking the pens and was on waivers a few months ago. So even if klinkhammer are just a stop gap until we get bodies back, no loss for the pens.

Not saying the won or anything. Just that Samuelsson weren't gonna account for anything

Exactly. He was never going to be in their plans so they were able to get something for him when they almost lost him for nothing.

There's no doubt that GMs are calling JR trying to fleece him with the injuries that the Pens have. I rather see a deal like this than for him to panic and make a senseless deal.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Only 4 PIM this season. He's not that player anymore. Can we get it back out of him? Who knows.

He doesn't fight too often, but he does throw his body around and his 6'3" frame is desperately needed on the wing. PL3 brings the heavyweight presence to the table. It's a step in the right direction. Just need some more talent on the top-six. And, a power-forward would be awesome as well.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I don't like when people post youtubes of one goal, though. Even Glass/Adams had a highlight goal before.

Remember Glass's backhand? Show that to any average fan and he might think Glass is worth picking up.

Anyone have an actual scouting report on this guy? Maybe who randomly watches a lot of Phoenix games? Man... too bad this isn't Vitale... :sarcasm:

Vitale hasn't been received very well among the fans, based on comments I heard.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC

Well for what it's worth, he's only got about 1 page worth of Youtube results when you search his name, so not much to choose from :laugh:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The pick is probably conditional on whether or not Arizona qualifies Samuelsson, and they probably won't.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

we need someone in that mold... last night there was no one on the team who would go out and just hit everything that moves to get people into the game. Maybe Klink is like that.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Klink replaces one of Sill or Adams in a healthy lineup. Plus we were going to get nothing for Samuelsson, as he's no longer waiver exempt and has no place in our D lineup, even if we were to trade some of the Vets.

I'm fine with this move. We need more though. Move out Scuds and Martin for wingers of the potential top 6 variety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad