Pens to play Hawks at Soldier Field next year as part of "Stadium Series"

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
California will be fine, refer to the late 90s Kings vs Rangers in the desert climate of Las Vegas Pre-season exhibition game. If they can make that work, albeit, they had their troubles-SoCal will be just as fine. Hollows will need to be adjusted by 1/4inch!

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Pretty cool but can they really have an outdoor game in Southern California?

The played in Vegas in 85 degrees.

CaesarsMarquee.png
[/URL][/IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_outdoor_NHL_game_in_Las_Vegas

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
This'll be a huge cash cow for the league, part of me thinks it's as a sort of give back to the fans of the lockout. From my reckoning the SB is the week of the two NYR games?

But the other part of me remembers that the league isn't that nice.

If they want to play more than 1 then get rid of one of the NYR games (Why 2?!) and the Pittsburgh v Chicago and Ottawa v Vancouver games and keep it like that.

It'll be nice to see more games outdoors though, back to the roots of it all.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Seems Hawk fans are more excited for this game that you Penguin fans are. Of course - Sydney Crosby has never played a game in Chicago...so hopefully that will finally come to end next March. This could be a SCF rematch...these teams look like they're on a collision course.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance-How will outside games "ruin everything?"
"Ruining everything" is just what the NHL does. The oustside game is just part of it.

The NHL takes something as gimmicky as an outdoor game and turns it into the only spot light of the season. Do we see a 24/7 for the Cup Finals? No because the NHL doesn't push HBO to show something like that for the finals too. So we get a month long of goo goo gah gah BS over maybe the worst played game of the year.

The Outside Game sucks... both in person and on TV. I'm pretty pissed that the Pens are in it again. I'm hoping Sid ducks it like he always finds a way to "be hurt" around the All Star game. Wonder where he's learned that from.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
"Ruining everything" is just what the NHL does. The oustside game is just part of it.

The NHL takes something as gimmicky as an outdoor game and turns it into the only spot light of the season. Do we see a 24/7 for the Cup Finals? No because the NHL doesn't push HBO to show something like that for the finals too. So we get a month long of goo goo gah gah BS over maybe the worst played game of the year.

The Outside Game sucks... both in person and on TV. I'm pretty pissed that the Pens are in it again. I'm hoping Sid ducks it like he always finds a way to "be hurt" around the All Star game. Wonder where he's learned that from.

Considering there are 16 teams in the playoffs, it would be pretty damn hard to do a 24/7 series. Plus, why would teams battling for the Cup want cameras in front of their faces constantly during the finals? It just doesn't make any sense.

I get your complaints about the outdoor game but this post comes off as whining just for the sake of it.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I think the 'idea' of it right now is far less appealing, including me, than it will be when it comes closer. If they do it right the games will be fun to watch. I am pretty much not against or for right now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
i've never had more fun at a game than I did at the Pens vs Buffalo Winter Classic.

I wasn't at the game, but it was awesome on TV too. I don't care that it was sloppier, the atmosphere made it a great game. Of course, the weather added a lot to the experience so I'm not sure how exciting a game in 75 degree weather would be to hockey fans.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Considering there are 16 teams in the playoffs, it would be pretty damn hard to do a 24/7 series. Plus, why would teams battling for the Cup want cameras in front of their faces constantly during the finals? It just doesn't make any sense.

I get your complaints about the outdoor game but this post comes off as whining just for the sake of it.
I didn't mean the entire playoffs. Just the finals. Also I understand that coverage during the finals would be tough but anything/ something is better than the mind numbing interviews that we get right now. We don't even get post cup locker room anymore.... but I guess NBC has to fit in CSI: East Jahbib.

Nevermind Crosby getting hurt in the last outdoor game but look at the conditions the best players in the world were forced to play in. Sid, AO and Malkin were falling down playing in that garbage weather just so NBC can fit that game into their schedule.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I didn't mean the entire playoffs. Just the finals. Also I understand that coverage during the finals would be tough but anything/ something is better than the mind numbing interviews that we get right now. We don't even get post cup locker room anymore.... but I guess NBC has to fit in CSI: East Jahbib.

Nevermind Crosby getting hurt in the last outdoor game but look at the conditions the best players in the world were forced to play in. Sid, AO and Malkin were falling down playing in that garbage weather just so NBC can fit that game into their schedule.

I hear ya for sure. I guess I meant that the teams wouldn't want to grant all types of inside access during the finals. Post game interviews and such on NBC would be nice, but I doubt 2 teams battling for the Cup want HBO camera crews in their faces non stop.

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008

Seriously dude, relax. I promise it will be fine and hockey won't be ruined.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
Meh. i guess i don't really have a problem with this. I assume WC's make most of their money from ticket sales, and these are mostly for the fans in attendance. you don't gotta watch em all on tv, but damn i'd love to go to one.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
It doesn't really hurt anything and will be a small influx of coin in the cities they take place in but now an outdoor game is almost just another game. I would've preferred an outdoor game once every two years, but I realize I was really radical on that topic. Once a year is plenty, maybe two. I wouldn't mind an opening night outdoor game and then the usual Winter Classic. The usual one fits in nicely with bowl season and whatnot, and the opening night one would signify to the sports world that the season is starting.

This is seriously gilding the lily though. Ever hear of too much of a good thing? If they only did it just this once to get an influx of interest I could stand it but if they do this next year (and the year after, and the year after, which I fully expect) these will be completely unremarkable. After the first three I was never much interested in them after that to begin with. The first one had a great atmosphere and a great ending, Wings vs Hawks was actually a good hockey game IMO, then after that they all kind of became just another game with different scenery around the boards. This Nth degree stuff will again, not hurt anything, but the concept will be shot from a TV perspective in a couple years.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Seriously dude, relax. I promise it will be fine and hockey won't be ruined.
Its already ruined... in large part due to lock outs and players "pacing themselves" for the playoffs.

If the NHL wants top dollar. Then I want a top product.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I definitely do not like outdoor games at all. I wish we weren't in it, but I get why they do it. There is an appeal to casual fans.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Horrible idea doing so many. Kills the vibe. They should not have more than 2 total every year (1 here, 1 in CA) and all should be big televised events. And March 1 in Chicago? That is idiotic. Any date past about mid-February is strong risk for 40 degrees and rain.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Its already ruined... in large part due to lock outs and players "pacing themselves" for the playoffs.

If the NHL wants top dollar. Then I want a top product.

well i mean i still like it

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Seems Hawk fans are more excited for this game that you Penguin fans are. Of course - Sydney Crosby has never played a game in Chicago...so hopefully that will finally come to end next March. This could be a SCF rematch...these teams look like they're on a collision course.

That's because after two of these we realized it's all spectacle over product. The games sucked. This ice is always horrible, the crowds are a mile away from the action, and it just eliminates the intimate nature of hockey that it tries to recreate. It should be reserved for an all-star game.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
The players love it, so what's the problem? A few die hards trying to show how hard you are? Comon-it was unreal emotion when Evgeni Malkin scored the first goal at Heinz and our horn went off and he jumped on the bench. Wtf are you die hard indoor arena cats talking about? The players talk about the unreal nfl style crowd. These guys all played pond hockey. Shoot, didn't the nhlpa and owners work out a split in hrr? Does it not behoove the players and owners? Doesn't everybody win here (except die hards)?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd hate it as a player. **** ice makes hockey very hard to play and the risk of injury goes way up. It's fun playing pickup outside. Wouldn't imagine it'd be fun trying to play with a puck that's acting like a Superball, and feeling like you're skating in quick sand in a game that actually matters.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
well i mean i still like it
Don't get me wrong. I love hockey. To be honest its the only sport I like and I wouldn't get so upset about the way the NHL handles things if I didn't love it.

The outside game gets mass marketed but when is the last time you've seen an NHL star in a national TV ad. I'm not talking about on NHL Network, NBC Sports or when a game is on. I'm talking about a national ad during The Walking Dead or The Office. You don't see them because the NHL wants to sit around twiddling their thumbs, having lockouts every ten years and wondering why its below bowling in popularity in the US.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad